collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 163116 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: MOTD
« Reply #585 on: May 29, 2023, 09:29:05 PM »
Not including Mings and Luiz is pathetic, they've been superb since Emery came in and in the last 4 months are in the top 2-3 in the league in their positions.

And you can pick Gibbs-White as one of the forwards, who has chipped in with 5 goals this season.

I think Ings scored same or more with us

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #586 on: May 30, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »
Garth Crooks has his team of the season picks up. No surprise he went Arsenal, Man Citeh etc, however you could pick your own obviously. However the ONLY Villa player chosen is Martinez, not one other one can picked in any of the outfield places.
He hasn't even picked Martinez, which is ridiculous.  He clearly doesn't watch much football outsider the top 4.

He picked Dias ahead of Mings and Casemiro over Luiz.  I don't think many non Villa fans would disagree.  Newcastle fans are raging that Botman and Guimares aren't in.  I wouldn't be picking Watkins over Haaland or Kane either tbh.

Martinez is the glaring omission.  The others are debatable.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #587 on: May 30, 2023, 02:40:32 PM »
Garth Crooks has his team of the season picks up. No surprise he went Arsenal, Man Citeh etc, however you could pick your own obviously. However the ONLY Villa player chosen is Martinez, not one other one can picked in any of the outfield places.
He hasn't even picked Martinez, which is ridiculous.  He clearly doesn't watch much football outsider the top 4.

He picked Dias ahead of Mings and Casemiro over Luiz.  I don't think many non Villa fans would disagree.  Newcastle fans are raging that Botman and Guimares aren't in.  I wouldn't be picking Watkins over Haaland or Kane either tbh.

Martinez is the glaring omission.  The others are debatable.

No, it's not about his final team, I don't think many could argue with that, it's if you go on the BBC sport page where his XI is then you can choose your own season XI from multiple options. Out of 43 outfield players options, NONE of them are Villa.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #588 on: May 30, 2023, 02:45:55 PM »
The main point I was making was if YOU wanted to pick Mings, Watkins or Luiz in the bottom of the page, you can't as he hasn't even included them as options when doing a "pick your own" team. All three have performed enough to be a choice in their respective positions, but all three have been overlooked.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #589 on: May 30, 2023, 06:47:59 PM »
DISGRACE!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #590 on: June 01, 2023, 03:01:05 PM »
Garth constantly wears the demeanour of someone who's just had or is about to have someone's fist up his back passage.

Online eamonn

« Reply #591 on: June 01, 2023, 03:02:45 PM »
Anyway, did no one spot this fake-news stat by MOTD on Sunday? Makes us look tinpot as fcuk...

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #592 on: June 01, 2023, 03:06:05 PM »
Anyway, did no one spot this fake-news stat by MOTD on Sunday? Makes us look tinpot as fcuk...

doesn't make us look tinpot. It makes them look tinpot for getting it wrong. In the grand scheme of things nobody outside an eagle eyed Villa fan noticed ;)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #593 on: June 01, 2023, 03:15:00 PM »
Apart from Saunders, Yorke (twice), JPA and Benteke, not far off!

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #594 on: June 01, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »
I think Eamonn is stating it makes us look tin-pot as apparently no player has scored more then 15 league goals in a season for over 30 years TV. As you mentioned, only Villa fans (and statto's for other teams) will know that is definitely wrong as most people would trust MOTD to actually be correct.

Online eamonn

« Reply #595 on: June 01, 2023, 03:31:12 PM »
Yes, that's what I was getting at but TV is right, it's just a silly error. It's the first day of summer and it's sunny outside.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #596 on: June 01, 2023, 04:23:29 PM »
I wonder if they meant to say 1st English player?

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #597 on: June 01, 2023, 05:40:39 PM »
I wonder if they meant to say 1st English player?

I assumed this when I saw it

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #598 on: September 28, 2023, 12:36:36 PM »
https://apple.news/AOvLALGjLQK6CLa-8A0MhFg

Tim Davie and Gary Lineker have reached an agreement for Lineker’s return next week.

High-profile BBC presenters should be able to express their views on political issues as long as they stop short of campaigning, according to a new report for the broadcaster after a row over Gary Lineker's tweets.

The policy only applies to presenters outside of its news coverage. News presenters will still be subject to stricter impartiality guidelines.

The BBC has not clarified what would constitute political campaigning for the big-name presenters.

Shortly after the announcement, Lineker shared a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying: "All very sensible," followed by a thumbs up emoji.

Aside from Lineker, other presenters the report has named as having "a particular responsibility to respect the BBC's impartiality" include The Apprentice's Lord Alan Sugar, Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce, The One Show's Alex Jones and Strictly Come Dancing hosts Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman.

Dragons' Den's Evan Davis, MasterChef hosts John Torode and Gregg Wallace, and Match Of The Day's Mark Chapman were all name-checked as falling under the revised rules.

BBC radio presenters who will be affected include Greg James, Zoe Ball, Vernon Kay and Scott Mills.

The update followed a review by former ITN executive John Hardie, looking at the BBC's social media guidance for on-air freelancers outside of news, current affairs and factual journalism.

Major broadcast events, including sporting events, could also fall under the guidelines, and will be confirmed when on air.

Actors, dramatists, comedians, musicians and pundits will not be affected by the new guidelines.

Lineker stood by posts on Twitter earlier this year in which he criticised the government's asylum policies.

The former England footballer was asked to "step back" from presenting Match Of The Day during the row over his comments - which compared the language used to launch a new government asylum seeker policy to that of 1930s Germany.

He later returned to the presenting role after the row prompted a boycott by his fellow football pundits and commentators, hitting TV and radio coverage across the BBC.

Carol Vorderman, who hosts a monthly Saturday lunchtime show on BBC Radio Wales, told the Sky News Daily Podcast earlier this month that as a freelancer with the broadcaster, she would "wait and see" what the new guidelines stipulated, adding: "I'll make a decision based on them as to whether I carry on."

Based on a reading of the new guidelines it would seem Vorderman will be able to carry on sharing her political opinions, as her radio show is not one of the broadcaster's flagship shows.

Pretty comprehensive victory for Lineker there then.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #599 on: September 29, 2023, 01:22:31 AM »
Good.

Hopefully it pisses off Tory *****.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal