collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread  (Read 169215 times)

Offline Villafirst

Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread - 2020
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2020, 11:31:45 PM »
What a disappointment that like many other sports, the Cricket season is in disarray through COVID-19. I wonder if there'll be any cricket in 2020?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2020, 12:11:22 AM »
Thank goodness the Bears had a record financial year in 2019.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2020, 08:56:59 AM »
What a disappointment that like many other sports, the Cricket season is in disarray through COVID-19. I wonder if there'll be any cricket in 2020?
I expect the ECB will go through with The 100 even if they have to play it in masks and gowns with every player on the boundary.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2020, 12:09:02 PM »
I expect the ECB will go through with The 100 even if they have to play it in masks and gowns with every player on the boundary.

I think it will be cancelled and we will see a small season centred around the T20 Blast.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »
If they cancel proper cricket, or even the T20 Blast, to accommodate The shitty Hundred I will be massively unimpressed.

Suspect the whole season will be cancelled, though wouldn't be surprised if they quickly assemble some contest in Dubai, or somewhere similarly unaffected by bad weather, if the virus dies down during our winter.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
I wonder what Jeetan Patel will decide to do if there's no cricket this year? This was supposed to be his last season with the Bears. I hope he decides to play next year if the club offers him a new 1 year contract. A great servant over so many years.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
Has he had a benefit year yet?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2020, 05:58:28 PM »
Has he had a benefit year yet?

I don’t think so. Do overseas players get this accolade? Jeets certainly deserves the recognition.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »
A good read during this lockdown is The Greatest Season by Pat Murphy. Recalling in depth that amazing season in 1994. Brian Lara scoring 501 at Edgbaston, 3 out of 4 trophies including the County Championship; we were only denied the 4th trophy basically on the toss in the Nat West Trophy Final at Lord's.
What a year it was in 1994 - Villa beating Man Utd 3-1 in the League Cup Final at Wembley, then 3 trophies for the Bears! I feel fortunate to have witnessed it all. Anyone old enough to have seen that season?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:10:39 PM by Villafirst »

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
A good read during this lockdown is The Greatest Season by Pat Murphy. Recalling in depth that amazing season in 1994. Brian Lara scoring 501 at Edgbaston, 3 out of 4 trophies including the County Championship; we were only denied the 4th trophy basically on the toss in the Nat West Trophy Final at Lord's.
What a year it was in 1994 - Villa beating Man Utd 3-1 in the League Cup Final at Wembley, then 3 trophies for the Bears! I feel fortunate to have witnessed it all. Anyone old enough to have seen that season?
Yes a very expensive season with trips to Lords and places like Oval for semi...my first visit to the Oval that season.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2020, 02:31:04 PM »

and a world cup that was fun to watch because we didn't have to worry about England making a mess of things.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2020, 04:10:44 PM »

Yep, it was my final year at Birmingham University.  Saw Brian Lara get his 501, and a lot of the Warwickshire season.  A mate of mine had had a tenner on Warwickshire to win all 4 trophies at the start of the season, think it was something like 8,000 to 1.  Cruelly denied by losing a really important toss in the Natwest.

Online paul_e

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »

Yep, it was my final year at Birmingham University.  Saw Brian Lara get his 501, and a lot of the Warwickshire season.  A mate of mine had had a tenner on Warwickshire to win all 4 trophies at the start of the season, think it was something like 8,000 to 1.  Cruelly denied by losing a really important toss in the Natwest.

I should've been there to see some of it, I was supposed to go on the Saturday but it was rained off.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2020, 07:29:52 PM »

I should've been there to see some of it, I was supposed to go on the Saturday but it was rained off.

Correct, Warwickshire had to bat twice at 10.30am due to rain around lunchtime on the Saturday which ended the play for the day. The Sunday was stacked against the Bears. I seem to remember Worcestershire came back from an almost certain defeat in the Sunday League to pinch the game at the death? Still, the Bears prevailed on the last day in Bristol to beat Gloucestershire and win the title! Fortunately I was there! Although we had a severe wobble at the start of our modest run chase losing 3 quick wickets!

Online paul_e

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2020, 11:21:48 PM »

Correct, Warwickshire had to bat twice at 10.30am due to rain around lunchtime on the Saturday which ended the play for the day. The Sunday was stacked against the Bears. I seem to remember Worcestershire came back from an almost certain defeat in the Sunday League to pinch the game at the death? Still, the Bears prevailed on the last day in Bristol to beat Gloucestershire and win the title! Fortunately I was there! Although we had a severe wobble at the start of our modest run chase losing 3 quick wickets!

Yeah, I can't remember if there was any play but I used to go with my Grandad and I got a call about 8:30 that morning to tell me the weather wasn't going to be good so we'd give it a miss. I remember it well because he called me on the Monday morning as I was getting ready for school to say he was going for the last day instead and I could head over for the last hour or 2 if I liked but I didn't take him up on it. Only went once more as well (day 1 against essex, with an almost inevitable great knock from Lara, the only time we saw him live together) because he got really ill that summer and died in the Autumn, I have more regrets over not watching more cricket with him than I do of missing the greatest inning of all time (as he made sure to call it every time I spoke to him about cricket for the rest of his life).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal