collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

VAR by olaftab
[Today at 09:08:19 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by OCD
[Today at 09:07:39 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 09:06:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 09:05:50 PM]

Snooker by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:02:11 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by FatSam
[Today at 08:58:23 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 08:42:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by olaftab
[Today at 09:08:19 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by OCD
[Today at 09:07:39 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 09:06:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 09:05:50 PM]

Re: Snooker by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:02:11 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by FatSam
[Today at 08:58:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 08:55:36 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by brontebilly
[Today at 08:55:16 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread  (Read 29085 times)

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
Re: Aston Villa v Burnley post-match thread
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
Keep reading about people on holiday still. Where did you lot go that it's still so nice? We went to the Costa Blanca the first week in September and nearly died in the worst storm on mainland Spain since records began.

Offline danno

« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2019, 08:18:50 PM »
I agree with those who have called out Burnley for what they  an horrific team. Sean Dyche unfairly gets good press whereas in reality his style is no better than Allardyce and Pulis.

Although it was quite a while before either of those two really got called out, Allardyce got the England job ffs! and Pulis was still getting good press up until he left Crystal Palace. iirc didn't he even win manager of the year keeping Palace up?

Getting a wet stone club like Burnley to 7th in the league was a great achievement for Dyche and he is rightly praised for that.

I hated Bolton and Stoke too but its up to our players and manager to stop them rather than cry and complain the game is all a bit too niggly and physical for us. Its not as if its any great secret what they're going to come and do.

Its like in the championship we had some games where we just had stand our ground and let our quality shine through.

Online Three Spires Villa

« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
We have thrown points away again. It really really needs to stop

Offline pelty

« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2019, 08:29:09 PM »
By no means the worst offender on the day, but questions need to be asked of Grealish. I do not question his desire, but I do question his nous, which is surprising. If the attack is going to run through him, he needs to make better decisions with the ball. On a couple of occasions, he chose to shoot rather than make the easy and proper pass to the open man.

Again, he was not the main proble, but given the frequency of time he has on the ball, it is crucial that he improves quickly.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2019, 08:29:14 PM »
Neil Taylor needs to fuck off.  If not Targett, play Hause.  Taylor is a bottler, too slow to react as well.  Engels isn't strong enough in the air at the moment, needs to get better.  Tow very poor goals to give away.

Burnley are streetwise but ugly, determined and nothing better than functional.

« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »
Wish we were

Offline Luke8

« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2019, 08:34:16 PM »
Especially when our striker is a waste of a shirt like today.
Well there is that, difficult to replace 25 goals a season. If he gets to 10 on this form I’d be surprised.

To be fair, he is on track for ten over the season. And I think only eight in the whole of the bottom half scored more than that last season.

Whether Davis or Kodjia could have a similar ratio while also bringing more to the team is a different matter though.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2019, 08:35:39 PM »
I agree with the comments about Burnley. I used to like Dyche and he always seemed honest in post-match comments re diving and cheating. He's obviously of the if you can't beat them join them brigade because, no matter how bad we were (and I don't think we were bad at all for large parts of the game), their niggling, fouling, backchatting, cheating, time wasting tactics were shameful. What happened to entertainment.
And according to the beeb website, Lowton made the brilliant cross for McGinn to score our second - and we still couldn't win.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2019, 08:39:29 PM »
By no means the worst offender on the day, but questions need to be asked of Grealish. I do not question his desire, but I do question his nous, which is surprising. If the attack is going to run through him, he needs to make better decisions with the ball. On a couple of occasions, he chose to shoot rather than make the easy and proper pass to the open man.

Again, he was not the main proble, but given the frequency of time he has on the ball, it is crucial that he improves quickly.

Grealish runs laterally with the ball far too much, instead of releasing it quickly. Supposed to be on the left wing but dropped in front of the centre halves to pick up the ball at times. A lot of what he does seems self indulgent, taking five touches when one or two would do. Big moment in second half and dreadful shot over the bar.

McGinn in the first half was the polar opposite. Decisive in possession, exposing defenders one on one and forcing mistakes without the ball.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
Sean Dyche has worked wonders for Burnley and deservedly gets plaudits. I understand why we slag off our opponents after a match but really fair play to them. God knows what their budget is but I'm sure it's a fraction of the real baddies in this division. In all honesty it's probably a fraction of ours. Being high and mighty about clubs like this doesn't really wash when we've been a dysfunctionally atrocious club for the time we've spent in the top flight this decade. In summary, today we should have won but didn't because they were more efficient than us. Now the game is over, good luck to them. Much rather see Newcastle and Wolves go down.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2019, 08:48:57 PM »

On that shot over the bar in the second half, Trez was wide open, Jack played the ball to him in an identical position against Arsenal and he put a tame shot directly at Leno. I genuinly believe this was in Jacks mind when deciding wether to shoot or lay it off.

« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »
Sean Dyche has worked wonders for Burnley and deservedly gets plaudits. I understand why we slag off our opponents after a match but really fair play to them. God knows what their budget is but I'm sure it's a fraction of the real baddies in this division. In all honesty it's probably a fraction of ours. Being high and mighty about clubs like this doesn't really wash when we've been a dysfunctionally atrocious club for the time we've spent in the top flight this decade. In summary, today we should have won but didn't because they were more efficient than us. Now the game is over, good luck to them. Much rather see Newcastle and Wolves go down.

I have to agree with this

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »

Grealish runs laterally with the ball far too much, instead of releasing it quickly. Supposed to be on the left wing but dropped in front of the centre halves to pick up the ball at times. A lot of what he does seems self indulgent, taking five touches when one or two would do. Big moment in second half and dreadful shot over the bar.

Agree with this to an extent, but my issue is that he's passing up opportunities to drive forward into the box to either shoot from closer range or win a penalty.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »

Did you think build up was the issue? No wonder

Offline glinch

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »

Agree with this to an extent, but my issue is that he's passing up opportunities to drive forward into the box to either shoot from closer range or win a penalty.

Grealish isn't the problem - in my eyes he had another 7/10 performance.

I'm starting to think he's becoming under-appreciated somewhat. Some goals/assists in some winning performances are all thats missing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal