collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Burnley Pre-Match Thread  (Read 11492 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs Burnley Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
Got nothing against Burnley. A decent little club with a very pleasant kit. I hope they have a good day out and get a bit of shopping done at the Bullring.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
SSN man said "a worrying trend for Villa they have lost 3 games after taking the lead this season" ??

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2019, 12:18:31 PM »
SSN man said "a worrying trend for Villa they have lost 3 games after taking the lead this season" ??

Yes pretty sure it’s twice we’ve done that.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »
I like the way we all just assume he isn't from Gallifrey.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
Has there been even the slightest hint that DS will change either the system or the position of Jack or SJM?

No.    Didn’t think so.

I hope he doesn't. Not because I don't think we wouldn't be better if he did, but because I'm convinced that he believes it will work, and that if he deviates from his philosophy he'll not be the head coach he believes himself to be. I don't think he wants his wingers with chalk on their boots, and I doubt very much that he wants McGinn and Grealish too far from our centre-forward. But until we "gel", until our fullbacks become more prominent, until we get tighter narrower, we'll be very much a work in progress.

That said, more progression tomorrow. 3-0 us, Mings amongst them.

Head coaches are supposed to have more than one philosophy. The midfield set up clearly is not working from a defensive or attacking perspective. Persisting with it and expecting different results equates to Einstein's definition of insanity.

He simply needs to change or could well find himself out of a job.   

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
Has there been even the slightest hint that DS will change either the system or the position of Jack or SJM?

No.    Didn’t think so.

I hope he doesn't. Not because I don't think we wouldn't be better if he did, but because I'm convinced that he believes it will work, and that if he deviates from his philosophy he'll not be the head coach he believes himself to be. I don't think he wants his wingers with chalk on their boots, and I doubt very much that he wants McGinn and Grealish too far from our centre-forward. But until we "gel", until our fullbacks become more prominent, until we get tighter narrower, we'll be very much a work in progress.

Head coaches are supposed to have more than one philosophy. The midfield set up clearly is not working from a defensive or attacking perspective. Persisting with it and expecting different results equates to Einstein's definition of insanity.

Chucking everything in the bin the first time it doesn't work is just as mad.

At the minute I see us as being balanced on the edge.  We could go a little bit one way and end up getting smashed every week, or we could go a little bit the other way and find us getting results and staying up.  It's a knife edge and tweaking to try and get that positive result is probably the better option than starting again from scratch and hoping it has the same effect.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »
Yes, it does feel like today is a big one.  Lose and that knife edge gets much sharper. 

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2019, 01:50:18 PM »
Our performances this season show we aren't a million miles away from finishing mid table. Just keep the faith and please Villa just win today.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »

No.    Didn’t think so.

Chucking everything in the bin the first time it doesn't work is just as mad.

At the minute I see us as being balanced on the edge.  We could go a little bit one way and end up getting smashed every week, or we could go a little bit the other way and find us getting results and staying up.  It's a knife edge and tweaking to try and get that positive result is probably the better option than starting again from scratch and hoping it has the same effect.

Four points from 6 games suggests it's more than being on a knife edge. Today is huge, need a huge response from management and players to throwing away three points last weekend.

Online danno

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2019, 02:00:35 PM »
We almost all (to a man) praised the club for getting its business done early this summer, presumably? because we realised integrating this many players into a new side and a new league would take a bit of time.

That being said a convincing win (or any win actually) today would be a real tonic.

I didn't have quite as much disdain as some for Westwood, but I do hope today he has one of those games where he stands pointing whilst McGinn or Grealish break past him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal