collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by rougegorge
[Today at 11:13:12 PM]

Diego Carlos by OzVilla
[Today at 11:12:58 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:43 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:10:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by VillaTim
[Today at 11:09:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 11:03:32 PM]

Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 11:03:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed off again  (Read 3035 times)

Online Rico

Re: Press-ed off again
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
The most successful clubs go out and get the best managers. It quite simply is the most important position in the football club. Time and time again Aston Villa appoint managers who have shown some promise in the lower divisions and then seem surprised when it all goes wrong when the pressure of managing at the highest of levels begins to show.

We never learn do we? Shrewsbury,  Norwich, Small Heath and Brentford do not give the incumbent the required level of preparation for the responsibility of managing Aston Villa.

Villa's most successful managers in my time: Saunders, Taylor, Atkinson and Little had already gained the necessary skills to be successful at the highest level. Next time we appoint a manager, whenever that may be, and I suspect it will be sooner rather than later I hope that we learn from history.
UTV

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »
The most successful clubs go out and get the best managers. It quite simply is the most important position in the football club. Time and time again Aston Villa appoint managers who have shown some promise in the lower divisions and then seem surprised when it all goes wrong when the pressure of managing at the highest of levels begins to show.

We never learn do we? Shrewsbury,  Norwich, Small Heath and Brentford do not give the incumbent the required level of preparation for the responsibility of managing Aston Villa.

Villa's most successful managers in my time: Saunders, Taylor, Atkinson and Little had already gained the necessary skills to be successful at the highest level. Next time we appoint a manager, whenever that may be, and I suspect it will be sooner rather than later I hope that we learn from history.
UTV

Swings and roundabouts with this, you could argue Bruce had as much experience as Little did before he came to us, Di Matteo managed Chelsea (albeit briefly). Think Saunders was at Norwich before us as well or at some point.

It seems to me Smith was a much more practical appointment that the only other seeming option last year, Thierry Henry.

Dean needs to show flexibility in his tactics, he could also do with a huge slice of luck ( a bizarre own goal, dodgy penalty etc) against Burnley to help kick start the season.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 07:43:14 PM »
And to be fair, they might have decided to back him but can’t do yet, what with it still being December and that.

It's a fucking difficult situation whichever way you look at it.

I think a lot of us expected the last 3 to be fairly straightforward, up until their form changed in the short period before playing us.

I'd like it to work, I think it could work but we need better players and the manager to have a wank and clear his head.

Haha!
Brilliant solution!

It could work. I was in my early teens when we dropped into the 3rd division. By the time I was in a satisfying relationship with a girl instead of my hand we had been promoted twice with a league cup win thrown in.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »
That’s it then.
I know what I’m doing at 12.30 on NewYears Day!!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 08:35:05 PM »

UTV

In the only full top flight season Saunders had before us his team finished 20th, which was Norwich. He was sacked by Man City after about 5 or 6 months.
Little had managed in the top flight for less time than DS has.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »
It looked like Valium to me.  His comment about us lacking "competitive edge" was a doozey.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal