collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread  (Read 32093 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2019, 10:27:20 PM »
Thought after a nervy start Marvelous did well on his debut, SJM always looked positive and will become a top Premier league player, defence looked solid, but overall a disappointing display, lacking any quality. Good news out of the bottom 3!

UP THE VILLA

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »
Arsenal next. They're average at best, shit at the back and yet I am genuinely scared we might take an almighty kicking.

Interestingly, teams who attack are being rewarded by dodgy defences amongst the supposed big teams. Yet we seem to have become a team that defends well but doesn’t create. Very un-smith like, presumably a product of squad imbalance.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2019, 10:29:31 PM »
Sadly, we look increasingly cowed by PL opposition. West Ham at home with 10 men and they outplayed us.

Sorry mate but I think this is way over the top.  They had more possession but failed to register a shot on target.

You might be right mate it’s just a feeling, but looking at the body language of Grealish and McGinn, the swagger has gone. That’s the bit that worries me the most. 0-0 against a decent PL side where we probably edged them isn’t a bad result. But the momentum just seems to be flowing the wrong way and the players seem to be aware of it.

If those two players in particular, lose the belief in what they are doing, because it's so hard in this division, we will be bang in trouble because they have been the heartbeat of the side.  I wonder if them two playing in a more advanced position is a better way to go?

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2019, 10:31:27 PM »
Just as a thought... do you think we could get a midfield to work that incorporated Marvellous, Douglas, McGinn and Grealish?

Hourihane deserves a chance too... he’s a regular goal threat and that’s something we’re missing at the moment.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2019, 10:32:28 PM »
Thought we played well for long periods and matched them - but we have no options outwide or centre forward.

Concerned about our lack of goal threat, but should have had the three points.

Still, if we can beat Burnley then we'll have 7 from 7 which isn't a bad start. We do need to improve in the final third and unless something changes quick a Darren Bent type January may be needed to keep us up.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »
I can see Wesley having some fun against Luiz next weekend mind.

I was thinking the opposite. Wesley will be isolated again playing against 2 centre halves. Luis will be able to get on the ball and not be pressured. That's the only time he looks decent.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »
Just as a thought... do you think we could get a midfield to work that incorporated Marvellous, Douglas, McGinn and Grealish?

Hourihane deserves a chance too... he’s a regular goal threat and that’s something we’re missing at the moment.

I agree with trying Douglas and Marvellous together. We need to get Jack higher up the pitch.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2019, 10:37:16 PM »
Wesley’s header in the first half. I like him, but most strikers score those 9 times out of 10. We can’t afford the luxury of of missing chances like that if we’re going to create bugger all and try and edge games.

Shocking . Man should be burying  that . Technics all wrong. Bullet header bang.
I don't rate him at the mo and really find him frustrating to watch. Wesley offers little ball control and see it as a dud signing. Sporting director recruitment looks miss in this one.
Hope I'm proved wrong !
Boy do I miss Tammy Abraham.
But to gamble on this hop along Wesley one of the most underwhelming attacking Brazilian players I've ever seen well I rather have developed  Davis and see him in.

This whole recruitment as to grow  investment is all well and good but I'm seriously questioning Wesley ability right now and anyone who isn't really should because that's not what we expect from a premier league striker. Average footballer , ineffective and just lacks much dynamism.  He should nt be for a Dean Smith team for me I don't know why spent that money for him bumbling that front line ! Annoying !

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
Sadly, we look increasingly cowed by PL opposition. West Ham at home with 10 men and they outplayed us.

Sorry mate but I think this is way over the top.  They had more possession but failed to register a shot on target.

You might be right mate it’s just a feeling, but looking at the body language of Grealish and McGinn, the swagger has gone. That’s the bit that worries me the most. 0-0 against a decent PL side where we probably edged them isn’t a bad result. But the momentum just seems to be flowing the wrong way and the players seem to be aware of it.

If those two players in particular, lose the belief in what they are doing, because it's so hard in this division, we will be bang in trouble because they have been the heartbeat of the side.  I wonder if them two playing in a more advanced position is a better way to go?

Definitely. Grealish is playing so deep and while I love watching him getting in the way of shots and carrying the ball up the pitch I want to see him doing damage up front. Same with McGinn to a degree - he can do it fine, but IMO he’s wasted spending all game tackling back and coming in from wide positions.

Ultimately our biggest failing so far this season is not getting the best out of them and that I think is really on Smith.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:44:02 PM by themossman »

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:19 PM »
Jota too slow. Aeg should only play every second game.  Rest okayish

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2019, 10:40:54 PM »

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
Wesley’s header in the first half. I like him, but most strikers score those 9 times out of 10. We can’t afford the luxury of of missing chances like that if we’re going to create bugger all and try and edge games.

Shocking . Man should be burying  that . Technics all wrong. Bullet header bang.
I don't rate him at the mo and really find him frustrating to watch. Wesley offers little ball control and see it as a dud signing. Sporting director recruitment looks miss in this one.
Hope I'm proved wrong !
But to gamble on this hop along Wesley one of the most underwhelming attacking Brazilian players I've ever seen well I rather have developed  Davis and see him in.

This whole recruitment as to grow  investment is all well and good but I'm seriously questioning Wesley ability right now and anyone who isn't really should because that's not what we expect from a premier league striker. Average footballer , ineffective and just lacks much dynamism.  He should nt be for a Dean Smith team for me I don't know why spent that money for him bumbling that front line ! Annoying !

Nothing like giving a bloke a chance eh?

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2019, 10:43:39 PM »
Any reason why Declan Rice clapped the Holte so passionately at the end of the game and why he received such a good reception? I mean, I have nothing against Declan Rice and I suppose he plays for England, but I was a little confused as to why he was so loved.

I thought it was Snodgrass for a second, but he came and clapped a few minutes later.

Online FatSam

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2019, 10:44:24 PM »

Hope I'm proved wrong !

He is new to the league, and was immense against Everton. I also think calling him hop-along is incredibly cheap.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »
In a nutshell: Not good enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal