collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 42738 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2022, 01:48:43 PM »
Paul

I'm not convinced that the RFU does really want the league up to 14 clubs. They could have done that for this season but found an excuse not to.

Not really, Ealing were miles away from the requirements to join the league, not just on capacity but on loads of technical issues around the ability to be televised, have the replays shown, etc. I get that it's really frustrating for them to not be allowed up but even if you ignore the size of the ground they have to be able to support the games being managed and officiated to a high enough standard as to create a level playing field.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2022, 03:34:53 PM »
Ealing got stuffed by London Irish moving in with Brentford. That would have been an ideal groundshare for them

What about Doncaster ?

Online nigel

« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2022, 08:49:37 PM »
Ealing got stuffed by London Irish moving in with Brentford. That would have been an ideal groundshare for them

What about Doncaster ?

That’s a long way for Ealing to go  ;)

Online paul_e

« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2022, 09:20:08 PM »

What about Doncaster ?

I think they have fewer issues but the capacity is still a long way off.

Online UK Redsox

« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2022, 11:20:09 PM »
Worcester suspended and relegated, but can appeal.

Online paul_e

« Reply #260 on: October 07, 2022, 11:14:02 AM »
Not much for them to appeal until they get a takeover, they have no players and even if the players agreed to play for free they're uninsured which would block them even at grassroots level. If they can get back on their fee a year in the championship is probably what they'd need anyway because they'll not get the full squad back.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #261 on: October 08, 2022, 07:03:22 AM »
I shall be watching most of Worcesters team this afternoon. Unfortunately they will be turning out for that bunch of wankers from Avon.

Still no word as yet on whether the Worcester kids can fulfil their fixtures with us at Stour in a couple of weeks time. Very sad to be honest.

4 more for Spencer last weekend by the way against Telford. We took him off at half time much to his chagrin as it wasn't fair on them. He cheered up when I accidentally let him join tackle practice with the U10's.

Shrewsbury at home this Sunday.

It sounds like the land stuff has been factored in at Worcester as part of the latest negotiations though so may be some hope in that.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2022, 04:57:22 PM »
Just watched Leicester v Sale. Sale were 11 points down at one time in the 1st half and came back with 21 unanswered points to win by 10. Tigers' first home defeat since June 2021. Raffi Quirke came on half time to play a major role in Sale's win in both attack and defence. Did nothing to change my view that he should be England's starting 9 at next year's World Cup. And Ford hasn't played yet this season !

Online paul_e

« Reply #263 on: October 08, 2022, 05:27:12 PM »
Just watched Leicester v Sale. Sale were 11 points down at one time in the 1st half and came back with 21 unanswered points to win by 10. Tigers' first home defeat since June 2021. Raffi Quirke came on half time to play a major role in Sale's win in both attack and defence. Did nothing to change my view that he should be England's starting 9 at next year's World Cup. And Ford hasn't played yet this season !

At 9 I'd start with Mitchell to get the tempo really high and then have Quirke to come off the bench after about 50-55mins to pick gaps in tired fringe defences. Happy with Randall and Van Poorvliet as cover as well. How Youngs and Care are still being included I couldn't tell you.

I like this Sale team though, really should be challenging for the top 4 but then, I said that last year as well and they just never got going.

Online UK Redsox

« Reply #264 on: October 08, 2022, 05:46:05 PM »
Glawster made hard going of beating the new Bath/Worcester combo outfit.

Turned down a couple of kickable pens at the end, which lead to them having to withstand a close to 30 phase attack from Bath

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #265 on: October 08, 2022, 07:08:02 PM »

At 9 I'd start with Mitchell to get the tempo really high and then have Quirke to come off the bench after about 50-55mins to pick gaps in tired fringe defences. Happy with Randall and Van Poorvliet as cover as well. How Youngs and Care are still being included I couldn't tell you.

I like this Sale team though, really should be challenging for the top 4 but then, I said that last year as well and they just never got going.
I can't disagree too much with your view. Sanderson doing a good job in nurturing good local talent, rather than them going to other clubs. Big point in question is Dan Kelly, allowed to leave, starred for the Ireland U20's in 2020 prior to the pandemic, then signed by Tigers as he's at Loughborough University and got a cap in 2021 summer v Canada during the Lions tour - Mind you, I'm biased, he came through the ranks at my club, Rochdale RUFC ! He's been out after getting injured in the Premiership semi final and having an operation immediately afterwards.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2022, 02:19:11 PM »
Wasps have now announced they're going into administration.

Offline DC1874

« Reply #267 on: October 12, 2022, 02:20:42 PM »
Sad news, was there on Sunday with my lad - more to follow the same way guaranteed given the shitstorm that's happening with the economy I'm afraid :-(

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »
Be interesting to see RFU & PRL attitude to Wasps issues as opposed to those Worcester had….one of their key teams against one that was perhaps more expendable

Online paul_e

« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2022, 02:24:46 PM »
Sad news, was there on Sunday with my lad - more to follow the same way guaranteed given the shitstorm that's happening with the economy I'm afraid :-(

Newcastle next I suspect.

A bit gutted on this one because there was a fair bit of noise that they thought they'd worked it out with new investment but clearly that's not had the impact they needed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal