collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 42475 times)

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union - 2019/20
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
That is a hell of a win for Wasps.

The turnaround in their season has been very impressive.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2020, 07:14:32 PM »
Watching Sarries-Wasps idly while doing odd jobs. Farrell just had yet another rush of blood to the head and gone in with an atrocious tackle on a Wasp. First time I've ever seen a ref run in instantly to stop a player from being beaten half to death by absolutely furious team-mates of the guy he just totally poleaxed. Red card, obviously.

I recognise it's an instant reaction, but he has to be binned from the England team. He just doesn't learn.

I'm sure I'm on record here for saying I don't like Farrell very much. It's never been about talent though, he's always seconds away from being a nasty fucker for no reason. Today he showed himself up to everyone, fucking awful attempt at a tackle.

Offline Gary Penrice

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2020, 11:11:41 PM »
Watching Sarries-Wasps idly while doing odd jobs. Farrell just had yet another rush of blood to the head and gone in with an atrocious tackle on a Wasp. First time I've ever seen a ref run in instantly to stop a player from being beaten half to death by absolutely furious team-mates of the guy he just totally poleaxed. Red card, obviously.

I recognise it's an instant reaction, but he has to be binned from the England team. He just doesn't learn.

I'm sure I'm on record here for saying I don't like Farrell very much. It's never been about talent though, he's always seconds away from being a nasty fucker for no reason. Today he showed himself up to everyone, fucking awful attempt at a tackle.

Farrell plays on the edge but to suggest he shouldn't play for England is a bit extreme. The kid is quality & Eddie Jones knows that.

Great result for Ulster beating Edinburgh!

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2020, 11:48:32 PM »
I know it was a snap reaction- but how / when will he learn ? He just about knocked a teenagers head clean off his shoulders, in a game that doesn't change anything for Saracens season, that wasn't particularly niggly. There was a solid defensice line in front of the Wasp, and he charged in from the back. To me, it appears that being the super-talented son of a League legend has meant that he has never faced any real consequences for his complete inability to keep his cool on the pitch and tackle properly. So, perhaps a season forced to watch England from the sidelines would help focus his attention on how important it is to have a minimum amount of care towards fellow pros.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2020, 01:33:17 PM »
Rather than an England ban I just hope they go with a meaningful ban in all formats. 6-8 weeks for me. Maybe missing the only important game Sarries have left will be a bit of a wake up call. I can also see him acting like a right prick in the championship and doing that sort of shit to part-timers.

I think it's definitely related to his dad but more importantly to league where the big collision and wrap if you can approach to tackling is the norm. I add him never changing to the list of reasons why Sarries are a bunch of c**ts because he's been there long enough to have had this shit coached out of him but they'd rather play on the edge.

I'm not against big tackles, I love watching Lawes smash fly-halves, but it needs to be legal hits.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2020, 12:15:54 AM »
5 match ban for Farrell.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2020, 12:17:54 AM »
5 match ban for Farrell.

Came on to post that, I think he's very lucky, "reckless but not intentional" - I'm not sure I agree with that.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2020, 12:32:39 AM »
As was alluded to on here the other day, if he'd been punished severely for this sort of thing earlier in his career it would have been in everyone's best interests.  There's no doubt he's been indulged.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2020, 12:38:21 AM »
As was alluded to on here the other day, if he'd been punished severely for this sort of thing earlier in his career it would have been in everyone's best interests.  There's no doubt he's been indulged.

Sadly mostly by his dad who will have encouraged him to lead with his shoulder because it's common in rugby league. Sarries have failed in forcing it out of his game and his ability has meant he gets soft touch treatment far too often.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »
https://www.rugbydump.com/news/disciplinary-panel-manipulated-as-farrells-reduced-ban-raises-serious-questions

So the length of the ban halved from a much more realistic 10 weeks based on testimonials from his club manager, his international manager and a random charity that he's worked with. Does the idea that he's a twat because he's indulged and enabled need any further evidence?

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »
https://www.rugbydump.com/news/disciplinary-panel-manipulated-as-farrells-reduced-ban-raises-serious-questions

So the length of the ban halved from a much more realistic 10 weeks based on testimonials from his club manager, his international manager and a random charity that he's worked with. Does the idea that he's a twat because he's indulged and enabled need any further evidence?

"He's just not that sort of player" - despite the multitude of occasions when he has proven that he is indeed that sort of player but didn't get so much as a card for it because his Dad is the coach and he's the captain / number 10(12) of England.

Again, when the ref knows he has to run in straightaway to prevent serious reprisals from the opposition (which I've never seen before, normally just the ref hanging ineffectually tootling on his whistle until the argy-bargy dies down), when Farrell hangs around pitch-side after the red card to get the photo op in and further offers a 1-on-1 session with the lad, he has fucked up to an extraordinary degree which merits an extraordinary punishment.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2020, 02:05:23 PM »
The good behaviour is applicable for anyone that gets hauled in front of the panel, so he hasn't been treated any differently to anyone else.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
I've mentioned on here a few times that I've been loosely involved with a club again for a couple of years, today we had the fantastic news that we've been voted as club of the year - https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/erdington-rfc-announced-as-winner-of-gallagher-rugby-club-of-the-season-award - My part is tiny, I've played a few games and helped out with training the kids a few times but the people running it deserve massive credit.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2020, 10:41:49 AM »
Wayne's tested positive and has been replaced as ref of the Premiership Final

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54658504

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2020, 10:32:51 PM »
I've mentioned on here a few times that I've been loosely involved with a club again for a couple of years, today we had the fantastic news that we've been voted as club of the year - https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/erdington-rfc-announced-as-winner-of-gallagher-rugby-club-of-the-season-award - My part is tiny, I've played a few games and helped out with training the kids a few times but the people running it deserve massive credit.

Nice work Paul, from my experience rugby clubs are special places, so to be top of the tree is impressive stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal