collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 42720 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union - 2019/20
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2019, 05:57:45 PM »
Off to the Saints game today, will report back from the egg ball later.

I watched most of the game on BT Sport.  Weird game, Saints looked threatening but made too many mistakes in attacking positions.  Conversely Leinster were absolutely ruthless. 

Saints are a joy to watch, a combination of youthful naivety and a manager that encourages the team to play an expansive game.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
Off to the Saints game today, will report back from the egg ball later.

I watched most of the game on BT Sport.  Weird game, Saints looked threatening but made too many mistakes in attacking positions.  Conversely Leinster were absolutely ruthless. 

Saints are a joy to watch, a combination of youthful naivety and a manager that encourages the team to play an expansive game.

yeah, they're probably a year away from being able to compete with teams like Leinster when the latter are 'on it'. The saints backline yesterday was interesting, lots of very good players in there but Alex Mitchell, Grayson (but he did make the bench), Dingwall, Furbank and Sleightholme all left out for various reasons. Personally Sleights would be on the bench almost every week, Furbank would start ahead of Tuala and Mitchell would also make the bench. That means no place for Dingwall though, which is a great shame because he's quality.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2019, 09:44:23 PM »
Weird game, didn’t feel like a 30 point hammering. Saints defence was shite first half but they should still have gone into the break ahead. After the break they had loads of the ball in attacking positions but made too many errors. Then Leinster ran riot.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
Impressive second half from Gloucester in the Severn derby.

That Zammo kid on the wing looks quite a prospect.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
Impressive second half from Gloucester in the Severn derby.

That Zammo kid on the wing looks quite a prospect.

He's got some gas. Glaws were frustrating last night, first half was some of the most wasteful rugby I've seen in years but then Mills got a yellow for Warriors and suddenly glaws started looking like a professional team in the 22.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »
Sounds like Saracens saga is about to take a huge turn.....

Offline paul_e

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2020, 11:12:00 PM »
Sounds like Saracens saga is about to take a huge turn.....

Liam Williams is probably leaving in the next couple of weeks and I wouldn't be surprised in 3-4 more follow, Calum Clark and Michael Rhodes are definitely on their way and I've hear da rumour that they're trying to shift Kruis asap as well.

After the ridiculous response of taking it to appeal, etc after the initial punishment I'm glad they're now actually taking this seriously. A little humility will go a long way to rebuilding their reputation but I still think their victories in the last 3-4 years all have to be viewed as flawed from now on because this is something that has been reached quickly or by accident. There were whispers of them being warned about their salary expenditure 8-9 years ago and they just kept making big money signings and adding to an already massive squad.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2020, 11:27:59 PM »
It is good that they might get a proper punishment felt kind of hollow that they were still likely to finish around the lower European qualifier places & be ready to go again next season - there will be some DoR’s looking at recruitment strategies for next season with a few proven stars on the market.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »
I don't follow domestic rugby that much so what I don't understand is how it took so long to question how Saracens were winning trophy after trophy by having a big squad of well-paid, valuable star players in excess of what most other clubs had without breaking the salary cap.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2020, 06:22:19 PM »
I don't follow domestic rugby that much so what I don't understand is how it took so long to question how Saracens were winning trophy after trophy by having a big squad of well-paid, valuable star players in excess of what most other clubs had without breaking the salary cap.

The simple answer is that they had a wage that was inline with the cap but in addition many were registered as co-owners of companies with the chairman and they got profits from those, one of the main arguments was over how those profits were generated with evidence showing it related to performance bonuses and image rights, both of which are supposed to be included within the cap. The rumour I've seen (and I don't know how accurate it is) is that the overspend when everything is accounted for was something about 30%. If that's correct then the 35 point deduction and fine was incredibly lenient. I think that would account for some of the comments from other clubs at the time as well.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2020, 06:29:56 PM »
The simple answer is that they had a wage that was inline with the cap but in addition many were registered as co-owners of companies with the chairman and they got profits from those, one of the main arguments was over how those profits were generated with evidence showing it related to performance bonuses and image rights, both of which are supposed to be included within the cap. The rumour I've seen (and I don't know how accurate it is) is that the overspend when everything is accounted for was something about 30%. If that's correct then the 35 point deduction and fine was incredibly lenient. I think that would account for some of the comments from other clubs at the time as well.
I see.  Ta.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2020, 07:08:13 PM »
Guardian reckon they are £2m over for this season and are getting another 35 pt penalty.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2020, 09:31:30 PM »
Guardian reckon they are £2m over for this season and are getting another 35 pt penalty.

That pretty much lines up with the 30% I'd heard. I think they're fucked if I'm honest, premiership rugby has to show it's teeth given the apparent lack of effort from Sarries to react to the first deduction.

Offline nigel

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2020, 05:28:35 PM »
Will be interesting where the top players end up now relegation is certain.
Get a couple down Worcester  :D

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
The worry is how it could affect the England team. Saracens clearly have players who will be integral to the England set up moving forward. Is it feasible for them to move to other English clubs? Or will it be a case of them moving abroad and the RFU suspending its rules around non domestic players not being eligible for these players?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal