collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 87439 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1335 on: January 23, 2020, 02:22:21 PM »
I take it I'm not the only one to notice we've actually won more league games than Arsenal now.

I hadn't!

And only one win fewer than Sheff Utd who everyone seems to agree are having a great season.  They're basically much better at getting draws than us.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1336 on: January 23, 2020, 02:30:46 PM »
I take it I'm not the only one to notice we've actually won more league games than Arsenal now.

I hadn't!

And only one win fewer than Sheff Utd who everyone seems to agree are having a great season.  They're basically much better at getting draws than us.

But that's a more significant feat than we're letting on, in reality.

There are teams in this league with a lot of steel who are good at seeing out games against better opposition, or under the cosh away from home, at which we're very poor.

It's been mentioned we have more wins than Arsenal, but their performance this week is a good example of something we wouldn't be able to do - despite struggling to bed-in a new style of play at the moment, and missing their best player through injury, even after going down to 10 men halfway through the 1st half they managed to claw back a game (twice) against a decent team in Chelsea. That's something we'd be incapable of doing with 10 men and without our best player (Grealish). Can you imagine.

Our game management is really poor. The second half on Tuesday was better than anything we've seen in a while now, but let's not get carried away - we're still well off Arsenal or Sheff Utd's pace.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1337 on: January 23, 2020, 06:46:09 PM »

There are teams in this league with a lot of steel who are good at seeing out games against better opposition, or under the cosh away from home, at which we're very poor.

It's been mentioned we have more wins than Arsenal, but their performance this week is a good example of something we wouldn't be able to do - despite struggling to bed-in a new style of play at the moment, and missing their best player through injury, even after going down to 10 men halfway through the 1st half they managed to claw back a game (twice) against a decent team in Chelsea. That's something we'd be incapable of doing with 10 men and without our best player (Grealish). Can you imagine.

Our game management is really poor. The second half on Tuesday was better than anything we've seen in a while now, but let's not get carried away - we're still well off Arsenal or Sheff Utd's pace.

It definitely was a big issue, particularly when we were playing 4-3-3 (even when we were playing quite well), but I think it is something that we have shown signs of improvement in from the Burnley game though.

A bit like the Arsenal example you mention, playing a new formation that we are still learning, without our best central midfielder and with absolutely no senior striker at all we have come from behind in the last two games to get a decent draw and a win. Add to that the fact that we saw out the Burnley win relatively comfortably and its fair to say that our mentality and game management has been better in recent weeks.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #1338 on: January 23, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »

I hadn't!

I don't disagree that getting draws important, or that Sheff Utd are good at it, but at the same time we're not a million miles from it.   We were 4 minutes from drawing with Spurs, 6 minutes from drawing with Arsenal, and 1 minute from drawing with Liverpool.  All of which were games we were leading.  Add those 3 points and the only difference between us and Sheff Utd is the result against them (which they deservedly won).

Yes, this is a whole of lot of if's but's and maybe's, and I'm certainly not saying we deserve to be higher - we are where we are on merit - I'm just trying to point out the distance to upper mid-table isn't as big as some people think.

Offline mike

« Reply #1339 on: January 23, 2020, 08:42:38 PM »

I hadn't!

I don't disagree that getting draws important, or that Sheff Utd are good at it, but at the same time we're not a million miles from it.   We were 4 minutes from drawing with Spurs, 6 minutes from drawing with Arsenal, and 1 minute from drawing with Liverpool.  All of which were games we were leading.  Add those 3 points and the only difference between us and Sheff Utd is the result against them (which they deservedly won).

Yes, this is a whole of lot of if's but's and maybe's, and I'm certainly not saying we deserve to be higher - we are where we are on merit - I'm just trying to point out the distance to upper mid-table isn't as big as some people think.

But this what pisses me off. I can see us getting relegated but if we can just stay up, I think players like Luiz, Nakamba, Engels, Konsa will be solid players by next year so with a few extra signings we could be a reasonable unit. I have a horrible feeling well get relegated and theyll all be stars next year.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #1340 on: January 23, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »

I hadn't!

But this what pisses me off. I can see us getting relegated but if we can just stay up, I think players like Luiz, Nakamba, Engels, Konsa will be solid players by next year so with a few extra signings we could be a reasonable unit. I have a horrible feeling well get relegated and theyll all be stars next year.

Im one for taking the ups when they come. Still buzzing after Tuesday and whilst Ive been watching villa for too long to get carried away about our chances of staying up after one victory, their are wins and their are wins. To battle back like that can only (hopefully) give us confidence and some momentum.

As has been pointed out weve been without our midfield engine for 5 weeks and no forward for last 4 games and apart from Man City weve done really well, so credit where credits due.

I agree well have to win one or two against better sides, if we can beat Bournemouth, spurs could be one. 4 more wins.

There are so many teams 5 points ahead of us on 30, I still think one or two will get dragged in, maybe newcastle, proper shite them.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1341 on: January 24, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
Some positives:

We're 6th in the current form table (last 6 games), so if momentum is a thing then we have more of it than most of our rivals.

This is despite three of those games being against teams above us on current form, Man City and Watford x 2. 

In the other three, as well as Watford, we've taken points off relegation rivals.

This is despite us not playing well in most if not all of those games.

This is despite us not actually having a forward since the Burnley game.

We're the only team to beat Watford in that spell.

Performances haven't been great, and we've looked like relegation fodder on occasion,  but results are more important, and we are doing ok in that respect.  Plus there is plenty of room for improvement in performances especially if we get a couple of decent forwards in.

Somehow I'm still concerned though.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1342 on: January 24, 2020, 08:29:59 PM »
25 points at this stage is decent.

The things that are concerning are the form of other teams - it just looks like more is required for survival this year than in previous years and the fact that we should have 2-3 more points on the board from the first 12 games or so. This left us with little margin for error in a season where it will likely take 39-40 points for survival instead of the usual 35-36.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #1343 on: January 24, 2020, 08:44:59 PM »
Every year record points get mentioned, nearly every year it doesn't materialise.

The only time it did was to relegate the Noses, trololololol.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1344 on: January 24, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »
Every year record points get mentioned, nearly every year it doesn't materialise.

the only thing that will matter is that we are above three other teams at the end of it all. Irrespective of the number of points it will require.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #1345 on: January 24, 2020, 11:11:19 PM »

Yes exactly. Not sure why people think 40 is required number. Look at the current table. Less than point a game and you are in the bottom 3. Anything more and you are not.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1346 on: January 24, 2020, 11:16:30 PM »
Im worried because everything seems to be focused on our lack of forwards.

The statistics (and my eyes) suggest we are a jittery sack of shite at the back.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1347 on: January 24, 2020, 11:18:40 PM »
Both for me.

Offline themossman

• GM : 22.02.2021
« Reply #1348 on: January 24, 2020, 11:19:54 PM »
I dont disagree, but given where we are its a much easier fix to fill the striker shaped hole in the team and score our way out of trouble.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #1349 on: January 25, 2020, 02:29:20 AM »
I think the squad by and large have each shown glimpses of genuine ability at this level - the struggle has been consistency which, given many of them are new to PL football makes sense.

I genuinely believe if we can scrap our way to survival this year, the likes of Nakamba, Luiz, Targett, Guilbert, AEG, Trez etc will all elevate next season as they find their feet - so 2/3 clever acquisitions to supplement Jack, SJM, Heaton, Mings will make the team easily in upper half of the league.

We just have to survive any which way we can which is why I dont care how - just accumulate the points. Fuck the fancy football - it will come - we need 15 points minimum and we can do it

UTV