collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Player Racist Abuse  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: Player Racist Abuse
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 03:53:37 AM »
As much as I dislike Chelski, well done Tammy. 

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 08:19:54 AM »
I was pleased on Twitter to see that a Baggies fan who tried to start the ‘Town full of P****’ chant at Luton was shouted down and reported by his fellow fans around him so that he was thrown out and hopefully will face further action to keep him away.
Fair play to those (especially the first) who spoke up. That’s what’s needed. EVERY TIME.
Every time these types of one of insults or chants are out there, there are people around them who know it’s wrong but don’t do anything. That has to stop now....there are enough ways to challenge it without putting yourself at risk.
This. There are many fine posts on here some similar to this by amfy. I believe fellow fan action is the best and most effective medicine when it happens in the ground.

Appreciating the thoughtful posts on here and yes kudos to the first baggies fan that spoke up. It’s an encouraging minority influence that feels ripe for action in contrast to the minority/majority influence that risks getting activated.

The question is more challenging (going off topic) around homophobic comments/chants I’m sure there was still stuff I heard last season, though can’t remember what. I’d still love a rainbow Tommy Hitz banner at the ground - what’s the best way to action that?

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
Appreciating the thoughtful posts on here and yes kudos to the first baggies fan that spoke up. It’s an encouraging minority influence that feels ripe for action in contrast to the minority/majority influence that risks getting activated.

The question is more challenging (going off topic) around homophobic comments/chants I’m sure there was still stuff I heard last season, though can’t remember what. I’d still love a rainbow Tommy Hitz banner at the ground - what’s the best way to action that?
I think that'd be a fantastic thing to do.

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »

Message the project b6 guys

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »

Well you could make one yourself I suppose, but maybe try to get Hitz involved?

You could have a word with my mate Rob, who’s a designer and good mates with Hitz.

https://twitter.com/real_rob_warner

Offline Diablo

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »

Would be brilliant if this happened.

Offline purpletrousers

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »

Well you could make one yourself I suppose, but maybe try to get Hitz involved?

You could have a word with my mate Rob, who’s a designer and good mates with Hitz.

https://twitter.com/real_rob_warner
Appreciating the responses. I wasn’t at the TV game immediately after the time Hitz came out, I flagged it up then, trying to remember/dig out what wording I suggested.

Probably some sort of ‘one of us’ message.

Will do Risso. I’ll What’s app you and maybe you could give Rob a heads up, sound like he could be the man!

Doing occasional mental health project work in Uganda, bizarrely I also think it’s about the best way to change stuff there, through footy here... now we are back the time feels right.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »
No problem, I'll drop him a line and introduce him to you.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
A few years ago when I sat in the north stand upper, I got into an argument with a Villa fan (?) who kept going on about gas / Jews etc. I stood up told him to shut up and the stewards had a go at me & only two fans behind me argued my case. The idiot even said didn’t I applaud Boise at Spurs & his nazi salute. I told him very loudly I bloody didn’t. Next home game v Everton, which was a 3-3 draw, I walked in and people were laughing at me, & taking the piss, saying what my problem was.It put me off saying anything again. This was under MON so not that long ago. Hopefully today it would be different

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »
Sorry the game I mentioned was v Spurs around March time. Horrible day

Offline purpletrousers

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
That’s sad to hear. I had a similar horrible experience at Spurs I’ve referenced too many times on here, when I broke after putting up with half a match of the nonsense from some young villa fans. The level of my anger no one dared challenge me, and they were shocked in fact couldn’t quite process the idea of singing about foreskins and auschwitz was racist.

It’s prety shocking you got that response so recently, mine was closer to the turn of the millennium. I’m pretty confident you’d get more support these days, I think post Brexit open season and resultant recent publicity has hopefully forced people to take a stand, plus ever consistent right noises from club, a post saville/#metoo/football abuse duty of care era that I think won’t reverse...

I also failed to stand up to it once in the Holte and have vowed never again on race. It’s homophoboa that I fear is still too often “just a laugh” and I fear I’d not get much support if I challenged, but probably will still challenge.

So far so good in my new ST seat in the lower Holte, the level of nonsense around isn’t too bad. The bloke behind who loudly shouted Mings or Engels *every* time either went to make a clearance against Bournemouth even toned it down marginally against Everton!

I’d even be tempted to give that feedback to Head of Stewarding and make sure they are briefing well.

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »
Since I relocated to the lower holte, about 5 seasons ago, I haven’t heard any racist comments. I wish at the time I had reported it to Villa and the attitude of the steward who wasn’t interested in what was said, but more concerned that I was stood up. I do worry for the first player who comes out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal