collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Your Ultimate Villa XI by Rory Christopher
[Today at 01:04:43 AM]

Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley by paul_e
[Today at 12:57:02 AM]

Re: Games Moved for TV by Ads
[Today at 12:35:45 AM]

Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley by Ads
[Today at 12:26:05 AM]

Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley by SoccerHQ
[Today at 12:22:36 AM]

Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:00:09 AM]

Re: Ashley Westwood - Sold to Burnley by paul_e
[February 21, 2020, 11:51:23 PM]

Re: The League Cup Final Thread by olaftab
[February 21, 2020, 11:48:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goodbye Goodison  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Goodbye Goodison
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
1990 was one of the best away days ever. Plus BFR's team of more black than white players in 1991. I seem to recall a Boxing Day defeat there too in the early nineties. My first visit there was supposed to be the league cup semi final first leg in 1984 when I was thirteen but I had measles. I still haven't quite forgiven my mum for stopping me from going.

Offline Breezeblock

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 11:53:32 AM »
The best and the most violent aways ever.
Never understood this violent aspect WRT Everton. My first meeting with their fans was the '77 League cup at the tender age of 10.  My dad and I were walking down a row of coaches with a bunch of Toffees behind us and then a load more got off the coach in front.  Both sets were brilliant - one of them giving me a can of lager and we spent 20 minutes moaning about how shit the match was.  Ever since then at VP and Goodison i've never had an issue with Everton fans and I dont think i've even seen it kick off.  Maybe i've just been lucky *shrug*

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »
Been there twice. Both time seen us get last minute winners. Merson in 2000/01 and Young in 2008/09*

* calls Legion to thread for video

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
I've been to Goodison many times, the best for me was 1981 and Tony Morley's goal of the season which I had the pleasure of talking to him about a couple of years ago after Eamonn Deacey's memorial match in Galway.  Strangely enough, I don't recall any trouble either before or after that game, perhaps it was because we got away and did our drinking somewhere else although for the life of me I can't remember where.

The worst was in 1966/67, we lost 3-1 and we were really shit back then believe me.  I was behind the goal and I clearly remember Colin Withers on the edge of his penalty area calling for a backpass from Alan Deakin (RIP) who turned around about two yards away from Withers and smacked it almost as hard as he could straight into the back of the net!  Just about summed us up as we were back then.  It wasn't helped by me being an apprentice at the time working with a 6'4" Liverpudlian Everton supporter and having to face him on the Monday morning.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 02.05.2019
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 10:37:09 PM »
1990 was one of the best away days ever. Plus BFR's team of more black than white players in 1991. I seem to recall a Boxing Day defeat there too in the early nineties. My first visit there was supposed to be the league cup semi final first leg in 1984 when I was thirteen but I had measles. I still haven't quite forgiven my mum for stopping me from going.
The Venglos season. Lost 1-0 if memory serves. Platt made an incredible acrobatic goal line clearance to prevent an equaliser for us.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 09:29:32 AM »
The Venglos season. Lost 1-0 if memory serves. Platt made an incredible acrobatic goal line clearance to prevent an equaliser for us.

I think I was also there for a 1-0 defeat a year or two later. Very early on in the season, possibly 1992? I think Maurice Johnston scored the only goal of the game.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 08:48:57 AM »
Love Goodison and have never seen us lose there, 4-1,2-0 and a 1-0 Cchis Sutton smash and grab.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »
Remember seeing Guy Whittingham score his first goal for us up there in a midweek game. What a goal machine he turned out not to be
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:15:30 AM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 09:02:20 PM »
Wasn't he supposed to be dishing out 'Corporal punishment" as the tabloids linked back to his army career? He was more like Sergeant Bilko.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 03:12:59 AM »
I've been to Goodison many times, the best for me was 1981 and Tony Morley's goal of the season which I had the pleasure of talking to him about a couple of years ago after Eamonn Deacey's memorial match in Galway.  Strangely enough, I don't recall any trouble either before or after that game, perhaps it was because we got away and did our drinking somewhere else although for the life of me I can't remember where.

The worst was in 1966/67, we lost 3-1 and we were really shit back then believe me.  I was behind the goal and I clearly remember Colin Withers on the edge of his penalty area calling for a backpass from Alan Deakin (RIP) who turned around about two yards away from Withers and smacked it almost as hard as he could straight into the back of the net!  Just about summed us up as we were back then.  It wasn't helped by me being an apprentice at the time working with a 6'4" Liverpudlian Everton supporter and having to face him on the Monday morning.

the worst surely would be either last time there or the FA Cup 1978.  Both of which i would prefer to have completely wiped from my memory.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 11:43:47 PM »
I went to that one with a few Toffe mates.

I remember Leighton Phillips being sent off by Clive 'The Book' Thomas.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
Personally loved Everton away, apart from the last visit. First time was the Milk Cup (I think) semi and Kevin Richardson handling on the line, you could see the ball mark on his plaster cast, last was the 4-0 drubbing.