collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gareth Bale  (Read 3403 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Gareth Bale
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »
Darren Fletcher won 6 PL titles, 1 CL, 1 FAC, 1 CWC, 1 LC and 4 CS. Trophies alone don't make a player top class, i'd agree that Bale was probably in that second tier of players.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
Bale has now pulled out of the pre season tour after his China move was called off.

He doesn't really come over well in this.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »
Darren Fletcher won 6 PL titles, 1 CL, 1 FAC, 1 CWC, 1 LC and 4 CS. Trophies alone don't make a player top class, i'd agree that Bale was probably in that second tier of players.

He was, arguably, the third best player on the planet for a time. He's nowhere near any second tier of players.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 09:53:42 PM »

He was, arguably, the third best player on the planet for a time. He's nowhere near any second tier of players.

Darren Fletcher?!

I know that defensive midfield role often goes unnoticed but that's high praise indeed!

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 10:02:51 PM »
I had him just behind Nigel Reo-Coker and Ashley Westwood.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 06.02.2021
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 10:31:24 PM »
Hes very, very good.

Just wont be discussed in conversations about the best player in the world at any point in time the way that Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Maradonna, Figo, Cruyff, Baggio  Dugarry etc will be.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2019, 03:11:13 AM »
Bale has now pulled out of the pre season tour after his China move was called off.

He doesn't really come over well in this.
I would really like to know why ZZ hates him so much.
Bale does come over as being a bit precious, he has a twatish hair do as well.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
Hes very, very good.

Just wont be discussed in conversations about the best player in the world at any point in time the way that Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Maradonna, Figo, Cruyff, Baggio  Dugarry etc will be.

9 players in the history of football being categorised as "top class" is pretty exclusive.  Especially when you didn't even mention Pele!

I think this comes down to the definition of "top class" - if you're talking about the all time greatest ever 5 a side team, then yeah, I'd agree with you.  But if you're talking about the best players of his generation then he's absolutely up there.  If wages were no object he'd get in any team in the world.

Offline danno

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
I think in part he (like all players of this era) suffers when compared to Messi and Ronaldo. They will be remembered as the great players of this generation.

Another thing is that the Real Madrid team he has been a part of may not go down in history as an all time great side. After so many champions leagues that may sound risible, but domestically they weren't ever dominant. Far from it.

A bit part player in a team that couldn't win the league is not the stuff of legend. I think if he'd established himself as top banana after the preening one had left, he'd be more well thought of.

I think on his day he was/is an amazing player, but even with his 4 European cups I wouldn't put him in the same category as say Thierry Henry.  Good player yes, world class? Not for me Clive.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »
I think it depends what world class means. I would say hes absolutely been world class when he was at his peak, as in he was was one of the best players in the world.

Hes not a world great though, in terms of those illustrious few who have sustained excellence basically throughout most of their career.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2019, 06:29:47 AM »
I think it depends what world class means. I would say hes absolutely been world class when he was at his peak, as in he was was one of the best players in the world.

Hes not a world great though, in terms of those illustrious few who have sustained excellence basically throughout most of their career.
this is fair, truly great players play, ie they dont mis 25% of games.