collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we going to do ‘a Fulham?’  (Read 23112 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Are we going to do ‘a Fulham?’
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2020, 08:00:54 PM »
No I know that but what I'm is our position looks more promising than Fulhams this time last season. I get the comparison about the spend but I just think there's a lot of differences in position, points etc and surely "doing a Fulham" can only be pointed at us if we do get relegated.

And like I said, today was shitty, a few results have been proper brown...but, we can still stay in this league and hopefully, "not do a Fulham" and put that shit to bed.
You're right of course, if we stay up we can say our summer dealings were good enough to do the job.  But there's undeniably a comparison to be made, even though it's not been confirmed one way or the other yet.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »
One or both of Norwich / Watford will pick up points tomorrow, by draw or win. Either way, we drop into the relegation zone again, and potentially 19th.

At that point, I think there's a very strong chance indeed that we're going to 'do a Fulham'. Despite everyone's (Smith's, Purslow's, and in fairness our own) insistence to the contrary, back in the early season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
Its possible, but I'd not bet against Man United or the Dingles winning.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2020, 08:09:31 PM »
One or both of Norwich / Watford will pick up points tomorrow, by draw or win. Either way, we drop into the relegation zone again, and potentially 19th.

At that point, I think there's a very strong chance indeed that we're going to 'do a Fulham'. Despite everyone's (Smith's, Purslow's, and in fairness our own) insistence to the contrary, back in the early season.

Even as shit as we are, I don't think we have to worry about Norwich, who are currently 7 points behind us.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »

Even as shit as we are, I don't think we have to worry about Norwich, who are currently 7 points behind us.

You're right sorry, I was looking at West Ham who ideally will get tanked by Liverpool.

Still worried about Watford tomorrow.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2020, 08:32:57 PM »
All those saying/hoping we will "do a Fulham" are just bitter. Most have no idea about the plan our owners, manager and coaches are in the process of implementing. This is not some kid in the newly opened sweet shop approach but a clear, thought out and calculated approach. Those looking on with envy are hoping we will do a Fulham because they are worried about the threat we have become. As for the likes of Big Sam, or hemorrhoid head Brazil I couldn't give a toss what they think as they don't know shit so can only speculate.
None of us know for sure how the season will pan out but my god it makes a nice change to go into it feeling excited about our future.

This post has aged well so far. TBF you weren't the only one.

Seems one way to get supporters excited nowadays is to spend 100m on players from abroad and lower leagues that people have never heard of.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2020, 09:47:04 PM »
All those saying/hoping we will "do a Fulham" are just bitter. Most have no idea about the plan our owners, manager and coaches are in the process of implementing. This is not some kid in the newly opened sweet shop approach but a clear, thought out and calculated approach. Those looking on with envy are hoping we will do a Fulham because they are worried about the threat we have become. As for the likes of Big Sam, or hemorrhoid head Brazil I couldn't give a toss what they think as they don't know shit so can only speculate.
None of us know for sure how the season will pan out but my god it makes a nice change to go into it feeling excited about our future.

Seems one way to get supporters excited nowadays is to spend 100m on players from abroad and lower leagues that people have never heard of.

That particular post bit have been a little over the top, but I don’t think you can blame people for getting a bit excited at the start of the season.

Coming of the back of a club record winning run and promotion at Wembley, it would make football pretty boring if people weren’t able to enjoy a little pre season of optimism at the number of signings and amount of money we spent.

Hindsight obviously makes it look misguided but I think it was understandable at the time.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2020, 10:10:46 PM »

That particular post bit have been a little over the top, but I don’t think you can blame people for getting a bit excited at the start of the season.

Coming of the back of a club record winning run and promotion at Wembley, it would make football pretty boring if people weren’t able to enjoy a little pre season of optimism at the number of signings and amount of money we spent.

Hindsight obviously makes it look misguided but I think it was understandable at the time.

No No I wasn't criticising anyone for dreaming after promotion we could do great things but I was simply sceptical due to us again gambling with relatively untried players and also gambling in key positions. Many at the end of August were pretty happy with our transfer business

All season it's been clear we needed another steady no frills CB with good experience in top level and of course the lack of proven forward has been widely debated. Could argue we needed another solid midfielder but I thought we had enough when the window closed.

This probable relegation will hurt though as we'd have wasted a big chance to build and become a solid top half prem team again in 2-3 years.  Even if we stay up people can now see that's a huge challenge and we need to rethink the way forward with recruitment.

It's no good our owners being incredibly ambitious and having deep pockets if we keep on flunking transfer windows. In a funny way it's easier to sign better players in the championship as we did last season as we're a very big name down there although will have to see if FFP will put a stop to that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »
If you can't be optimistic, even overly optimistic, during a club record spend after promotion then what's the point? I'll take being overly optimitic every day of the week.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2020, 10:20:01 PM »
I worry about the mental fortitude of this team for the dogfight ahead. We have lost so many winneable games, they are used to the sting of losing.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
If you can't be optimistic, even overly optimistic, during a club record spend after promotion then what's the point? I'll take being overly optimitic every day of the week.
Indeed, we all hoped we'd win the title but realistically no-one thought we'd do it.   I think though that a lot of people realistically believed we'd do much better than we are.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2020, 10:25:35 PM »
I worry about the mental fortitude of this team for the dogfight ahead. We have lost so many winneable games, they are used to the sting of losing.

Spurs game has killed us I think. Simply can't play like that and not even get a point from it. Losing to last kick of the game added to the woe.

Hangover from Lambert era when we were only a bad result away from a 2-3 month winless run.

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2020, 10:37:09 PM »
Don't know why but just have a feeling we'll survive, even though a "performance" like today suggests otherwise. Its been a season long bedding in for some of these guys and they're clearly not good enough. If we do stay up Dean needs to look at himself and the recruitment policy really needs to be looked at. We've a decent spine, injuries aside, but the rest of them are a championship side. Much work needed in the summer. Just hope we're still Premier league.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2020, 10:42:23 PM »
We already haven't "done a Fulham" because they were massively adrift by now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2020, 11:11:22 PM »
Also don't think it is a fair comparison really.  Can't remember their particular situation when they went up, but we needed to buy that many new players as we lost so many last summer.  We didn't have a choice really.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal