collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:57:22 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:54:22 AM]

Re: FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:54:00 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 09:53:47 AM]

Re: FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:51:56 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Fasth56
[Today at 09:49:54 AM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 09:45:21 AM]

Re: FFP by Smithy
[Today at 09:44:20 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 496617 times)

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #4320 on: April 17, 2024, 04:31:01 PM »
Tielemans is the only player worth our while selling of what could be considered part of the first team group.

Hes pure profit, probably on pretty high wages & apart from the odd decent pass has offered little to nothing for the remainder of the season that Buendia is good enough to deliver when he is back fit... And while Buendia isn't the quickest, he is Speedy Gonzales next to Tielemans.

If we get enough for him to cover any potential FFP/PSR/ETC/??? issues, we wont have to sell any of our best players.

I just don’t think that’s true regarding Tielemans’ impact.

Agreed. He's been perfectly decent and an important part of the squad, particularly in the current era of one or two other midfielders being missing.

Besides, if he wasn't offering anything worth keeping, why would anyone want to give us "pure profit" and him "pretty high wages"?

Because we paid nothing for him so anything we get would be pure profit, FFP wise.

And plenty of teams purchase players with high reputations on high wages who might not have performed incredibly well at their previous club, because they think they could get a tune out of him.

And he's a pretty decent passer of the ball with decent vision, as well as being able to strike the ball well with strong technique.

I personally just don't think that he has the mobility or the energy to perform regularly in our team.

It's nothing personal, he's just the player I would consider selling before any other, IF, we have to sell for FFP reasons.

And I have amended my original post after Olneythelonely questioned it. Maybe I wasn't so clear with what I meant.

Which is my bad.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:34:04 PM by pablo_picasso »

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4321 on: April 17, 2024, 04:48:09 PM »
Maybe I am being a little harsh.

Compared to the rest of the regular first team/squad players, I think his impact has been the weakest...

I think you are being harsh. He is able to play a number of different roles across midfield which is not something you could say of Buendia but there’s more than enough room for both in the squad.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4322 on: April 17, 2024, 05:02:47 PM »
Virtually all the players we could consider selling will have had their initial fees written off.  People always talk about 'pure profit,' but it's nonsense.  There's no difference between selling Tielemans, Luiz, Ramsey, Watkins, Kamara or McGinn FFP wise - their initial fees (if any) have already been amortised.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4323 on: April 17, 2024, 05:14:41 PM »
Tielemans is the only player worth our while selling of what could be considered part of the first team group.

Hes pure profit, probably on pretty high wages & apart from the odd decent pass has offered little to nothing for the remainder of the season that Buendia is good enough to deliver when he is back fit... And while Buendia isn't the quickest, he is Speedy Gonzales next to Tielemans.

If we get enough for him to cover any potential FFP/PSR/ETC/??? issues, we wont have to sell any of our best players.

I just don’t think that’s true regarding Tielemans’ impact.

Agreed. He's been perfectly decent and an important part of the squad, particularly in the current era of one or two other midfielders being missing.

Besides, if he wasn't offering anything worth keeping, why would anyone want to give us "pure profit" and him "pretty high wages"?

Because we paid nothing for him so anything we get would be pure profit, FFP wise.

And plenty of teams purchase players with high reputations on high wages who might not have performed incredibly well at their previous club, because they think they could get a tune out of him.

And he's a pretty decent passer of the ball with decent vision, as well as being able to strike the ball well with strong technique.

I personally just don't think that he has the mobility or the energy to perform regularly in our team.

It's nothing personal, he's just the player I would consider selling before any other, IF, we have to sell for FFP reasons.

And I have amended my original post after Olneythelonely questioned it. Maybe I wasn't so clear with what I meant.

Which is my bad.
Tielemans was new to the club and took time to settle in and even post xmas has had some quiet games. But overall has made some pretty significant contributions this season and is a quality player. He was completely instrumental to our second half performance on Sunday as well.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4324 on: April 17, 2024, 05:31:16 PM »
I don't think we'd get enough for Tielemans for it to really make a difference with PSR. His experience in big games will continue to be valuable next season if we make the CL.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #4325 on: April 17, 2024, 07:51:48 PM »
Some of you disagree with me.

Thats fair & I respect your right to do so.

But if we are forced to sell any player for FFP, then I would sell Tielemans.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #4326 on: April 17, 2024, 08:02:17 PM »
Virtually all the players we could consider selling will have had their initial fees written off.  People always talk about 'pure profit,' but it's nonsense.  There's no difference between selling Tielemans, Luiz, Ramsey, Watkins, Kamara or McGinn FFP wise - their initial fees (if any) have already been amortised.

The difference is that Tielemans has only been here a year.

McGinn cost 57p & a packet of pork scratchings, Kamara is no different to Tielemans as both were free, Ramsey is an academy player therefore has no value on the balance sheet & Watkins & Douglas Luiz has been here several years.

So, yes, they are all similar in terms of profit from sales for FFP, but like I said, I would sell Tielemans ahead of any of those you listed because I think his contribution has been weaker than all of those you listed. Whether that has been him taking time to settle, he's lazy, he doesn't have the mobility, whatever the reason, (I have read all on here at some point), I personally don't rate him as highly as the others listed. Its just my humble opinion.

And as he was free, even after only one year, he is "pure profit", or however you want it labelled, for FFP purposes.

If we don't have to sell, then great. We keep him as a squad player.

I am purely talking if we are being forced to sell any players for that FFP/PSR thing.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4327 on: April 17, 2024, 08:41:23 PM »

Me too.  He’s a good player but replacing the others would be harder.  McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey also seem to be an integral part of the club’s DNA so you’d risk selling a bit of our X factor.  I’d sell Tieleman’s and use the money to buy a genuine alternative to Kamara.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4328 on: April 17, 2024, 10:10:19 PM »

I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with. Obviously if it's a choice between Tielemans and all the other players mooted, everyone is choosing Tielemans. It's not a niche opinion, you might as well be putting Chambers or Olsen forward.

But that's not how life works. If we decided that we wanted to sell Tielemans, he's a good player on a big contract, so someone would probably give us £25m - £30m for him. But it would also need to be a good enough to team for him to actually want to go there. He joined us due to the handy combination of us being a big team, on the up, offering a big contract and allowing him to keep his young family in the area that they were growing up. There aren't that many teams that can offer him that.

Douglas Luiz would attract interest from pretty much every one of the dozen or so teams who are currently better than us. Tielemans wouldn't. If we decided we wanted to cash in for £80m, he'd probably be fine with that. Tielemans wouldn't for the sort of team that would offer us £30m. As he could have just joined them last summer if he'd wanted to go there.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #4329 on: April 17, 2024, 10:57:50 PM »
I just hope we have to sell nobody. I see threads regarding Digne, Ramsey and Dougie and all have been crucial to us at various times over the last 18 months. They are all top quality players and it would be real shame to lose any of them.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #4330 on: April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM »
Luiz is going nowhere

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #4331 on: April 18, 2024, 08:16:03 AM »

I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with. Obviously if it's a choice between Tielemans and all the other players mooted, everyone is choosing Tielemans. It's not a niche opinion, you might as well be putting Chambers or Olsen forward.

But that's not how life works. If we decided that we wanted to sell Tielemans, he's a good player on a big contract, so someone would probably give us £25m - £30m for him. But it would also need to be a good enough to team for him to actually want to go there. He joined us due to the handy combination of us being a big team, on the up, offering a big contract and allowing him to keep his young family in the area that they were growing up. There aren't that many teams that can offer him that.

Douglas Luiz would attract interest from pretty much every one of the dozen or so teams who are currently better than us. Tielemans wouldn't. If we decided we wanted to cash in for £80m, he'd probably be fine with that. Tielemans wouldn't for the sort of team that would offer us £30m. As he could have just joined them last summer if he'd wanted to go there.

I was having a conversation with a few people who disagreed that Tielemans had been the weaker of our players who might be worth something.

But if we all agree, then great.

We can all move on with a wink & a smile.

I wasn't trying to be confrontational btw. I do understand that I can come across as more aggressive or difficult than I intend. And clearly I need to work on my communication skills...

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4332 on: April 18, 2024, 08:56:08 AM »
I think part of the issue when it comes to "who should we sell if we HAVE to sell someone" is that big injuries in the last 12 months to players like Mings, Buendia, Kamara, Moreno and Ramsey mean that players who might have been on the periphery of things have actually played a much more important part in the first 11 - and that makes them 'feel' more important to the squad.

We don't really have many players now who a) have any sort of value in the market, and b) haven't directly contributed to our success this season.  Which means if a sale is going to be required for any sort of summer squad building, then it's going to hurt, and some of us will be able to point to them and say they've been an important part of wins against x, y, and z.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4333 on: April 18, 2024, 09:47:34 AM »
It’s players who decide if they want to be transferred, then someone has to meet, beat or get near to the clubs valuation. Unless the player acts up of course. Which I don’t see happening with the players mentioned.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4334 on: April 18, 2024, 09:55:19 AM »
No way is Youri leaving, he's just had his garden sorted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal