collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 472810 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #975 on: July 10, 2020, 03:11:51 PM »

This lad is finally showing what he can do. And assuming he's still around next season i'd have him as captain from the off

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #976 on: July 10, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »
So £11m towards FFP.

We'll have to rebuild if we go down, but with parachute payments and significant funds coming in (Jack being 100% by virtue of being home grown) then we get a free swing at it.

We will always be able to attract the best players. Great opportunity for a 1 season stay.

Without meaning to sound defeatist it's why a few weeks back I just came to peace with it all. Of course Villa losing fucks me off massively. I have too much invested in them. But I took a look at who would be down with us and the league simply won't be as strong. And it you consider who would actually be sold, it's not like at that level you need superstars to get back up. Certainly helps. But last time look at the players we were able to attract to get ourselves back up. There's no reason to think those types of players would not be available again; transfer or loan.

It always will come down to the manager, who he signs and the intent that he sends us out with. But done right (obviously), there is no reason to think we cannot come back a lot stronger. And I look to Burnley for that reason. Dyche took them down but they kept him and they are much stronger now second time around. I wouldn't keep Smith because I no longer have any faith in him. But the right manager and the right blenf of players, where we don't need to spend anything close to what we did the last time around added to what we will have should be more than enough to get us back up.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #977 on: July 10, 2020, 06:17:02 PM »
The right manager and the right players and we should be OK. Hold the front page.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #978 on: July 10, 2020, 06:58:19 PM »
If Man City hold all the cards then I can’t see why they would not let him stay with us.  A year bossing the championship would do him, and them, good.  Another year at Villa in PL after that would also suit Man City.  The bigger issue will be what the player wants imo.

I’d like to think that the late upturn in form will not have been noticed and he appreciates what a big club we are.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #979 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »
If Man City hold all the cards then I can’t see why they would not let him stay with us.  A year bossing the championship would do him, and them, good.  Another year at Villa in PL after that would also suit Man City.  The bigger issue will be what the player wants imo.

I’d like to think that the late upturn in form will not have been noticed and he appreciates what a big club we are.

That's the concern - the pre-lockdown Luiz is unlikely to have generated too much interest, here or abroad.  Certainly not at a level we'd 'have' to let him go.  But since the restart he's the one player who looks to have genuinely improved during his time away.  He was always a tidy player, but he's definitely got more to grips with the league since the restart.

He'll be an asset next season if we survive, but I fear we'll lose him if we don't.  I suspect he, and a couple of others, might have Idrissa Gueye-style relegation clauses in their contracts.  Would be a kick in the teeth to lose players for less than we paid, but it might be the reality we're facing.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #980 on: July 10, 2020, 07:39:34 PM »
he's nowhere near good enough to play for a top side - if he stays next season then that's good - if not, we might make our money back....

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #981 on: July 10, 2020, 08:04:19 PM »
He'll be an asset next season if we survive, but I fear we'll lose him if we don't.  I suspect he, and a couple of others, might have Idrissa Gueye-style relegation clauses in their contracts.  Would be a kick in the teeth to lose players for less than we paid, but it might be the reality we're facing.

Thing with Luiz is he'll have no problem moving to another European league. I'd imagine he's creating interest amongst the vultures across the continent with his displays.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #982 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:22 PM »
he's nowhere near good enough to play for a top side - if he stays next season then that's good - if not, we might make our money back....

He will be in time.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #983 on: July 10, 2020, 09:47:33 PM »

He will be in time.

I think he'd do really well playing for a slower tempo league in Italy.  If we go down and he doesn't want to stay, loaning him out for a year might be an idea, with a sell on agreed if we don't get back up quickly.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #984 on: July 10, 2020, 10:24:13 PM »

He will be in time.
If he continues progressing he could be a very good player, still young.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #985 on: July 11, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »

He will be in time.

I think he'd do really well playing for a slower tempo league in Italy.  If we go down and he doesn't want to stay, loaning him out for a year might be an idea, with a sell on agreed if we don't get back up quickly.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head re. being suited to slower tempo football.  The tempo has been very slow in the restart games.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #986 on: July 16, 2020, 08:16:57 AM »
Our supportive local press have decided now he's our best performing player better link him away now....from the Beeb gossip

Pep Guardiola is open to bringing Aston Villa's Brazilian midfielder Douglas Luiz, 22, back to Manchester City when the window opens in July. (Birmingham Mail)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #987 on: July 16, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »
They aren't going to make him one of their highest paid players, so he won't get a work permit. He will only be able to sign for them if and when he's played in 30% of Brazil's matches in the last two years. Until then, it's a non-story.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #988 on: July 16, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
Actually looking at it again he would need to be in the top 25% of transfer fees this summer and/or in their top 50% of wage earners, which does seem feasible.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #989 on: July 16, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »
It will really depend what other business they're planning, won't it?

Citeh are pretty comfortable in midfield, they've got the best in the PL currently, even with Silva on his way out.

It's their defence which is a total shambles, so I'd imagine they'll be investing big money in a couple of centre-halves and one or two quality full-backs.

They're also going to have to invest big in a goalscoring striker - Aguero's chances of ever playing a full season again are basically nil, and I don't think Pep trusts Jesus fully to lead the line. As good as the latter is, he's no Aguero.

2 x quality CBs, 2 x quality FBs, and a world class goalscorer could potentially set them back somewhere in the region of 300m.*

OK, so I pulled that figure out of my arse but you get the gist, they're going to spend a huge lot of money.

Pep might feel Luiz is a luxury for another transfer window, particularly if he has to shell out more than the buy-back clause in order to meet the work permit criteria.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal