collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 491040 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #930 on: June 19, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »
The Dingles second came about because Dougie didn't crunch Traore 40 yards from goal.

Which is true, but McGinn giving a hospital pass to Taylor on the edge of their box was more culpable in my eyes.

Yes but the point is that an experienced defensive midfielder 'takes one for the team' in those circumstances, Luiz has learned that now as he showed.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #931 on: June 19, 2020, 08:33:20 PM »
The Dingles second came about because Dougie didn't crunch Traore 40 yards from goal.

I don't think we were ever going to retrieve a point there, we were hopeless for most of the game.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #932 on: June 19, 2020, 08:51:34 PM »

Which is true, but McGinn giving a hospital pass to Taylor on the edge of their box was more culpable in my eyes.

Yes but the point is that an experienced defensive midfielder 'takes one for the team' in those circumstances, Luiz has learned that now as he showed.

I thought he tried to, but was caught out by the speed and power of Traore.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #933 on: June 25, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Douglas pushed further upfield rather than the deep lying midfielder.

That said Smith seems to favour him there and apart from times of ill disciplined, and getting a cards from frustrated fouls,  he's been our best play since restart of season

Puts one brilliant balls into the box like he did against Chelsea and if Nakamba could be trusted would have Douglas Luiz as a midfielder higher placed up the pitch and Marvellous as the defensive midfielder.

Both then can play there natural games.

Smith seems to have other ideas and I'm not averse to having Douglas there as a holding player but he seems to have a lot going for him in a creative sense and has shooting ability.

You watch when he moves on - as he won't hang around the championship - he'll be used effectively as an attacking midfielder.
Or at least as a midfielder who doesn't just do deep lying

Tbh I saw him as a coaster pre lockdown but out of all I think he's been most impressive since the new 'mini season' has began.

Annoying if others are nt on same wavelength as there are glimpses all season how much quality Dougie has

Good luck to him . Good to see him playing better even though it's so Dean Smith to have him in that pivot role

Play him higher and reap rewards I say !
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:00:57 AM by Vill I An »

Offline Villan82

« Reply #934 on: June 25, 2020, 11:26:27 AM »
Douglas Luiz will be a top player. I keep forgetting how young he actually is. Has scored a couple of vital goals this season - Watford at home springs to mind.

Really, really hope we can stay up and watch players like him grow next year.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #935 on: June 25, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
Hadn't realised that Man City's buy back clause was only valid for two years. Hopefully if he does turn out to be the next Vieira that means they won't be able to get him back as going to be buggered on FFP if they are still banned from Europe.

Anyway, I like him.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #936 on: June 25, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »
He's been very good since the restart. And I don't know what he's done to look after himself during the lockdown, but there's been absolutely no doubting his lasting the full 90 minutes.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #937 on: June 25, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »
Lovely hair too.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #938 on: June 25, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »
He certainly has improved a lot but has a couple of evident flaws in his game that he needs to correct. He still tends to ball watch a bit as seen with the last two goals we have conceded. The other one that irritates me in his inability to play more consistently on the half turn when taking the ball off the back. Too often he plays the ball back to a defender under limited pressure. I'd like to see him demand the ball off the back and get turned on it more. He clearly has the technical ability to do it.

But in the last three games, he has shown huge improvement in his fitness, commitment, positional play and even cynicism. The half hearted joker who used get caught ahead of the ball routinely and barely break sweat getting back has gone.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #939 on: June 25, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
He’s been great. I think he’s a big talent and will be a top player.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #940 on: June 26, 2020, 09:28:43 AM »
He’s probably the only one of our players that’s come back better than before lockdown

some are the same standard others are falling well below where they should be
 but Doug has pushed on

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #941 on: June 26, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
Language has most likely improved a lot as well.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #942 on: June 26, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
He’s probably the only one of our players that’s come back better than before lockdown

some are the same standard others are falling well below where they should be
 but Doug has pushed on
Absolutely.  Our best player for 3 games in quick sucession is some doing for someone his age.  I appreciate there hasn't been much competition, but even so...

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #943 on: June 26, 2020, 04:44:38 PM »
He certainly has improved a lot but has a couple of evident flaws in his game that he needs to correct. He still tends to ball watch a bit as seen with the last two goals we have conceded. The other one that irritates me in his inability to play more consistently on the half turn when taking the ball off the back. Too often he plays the ball back to a defender under limited pressure. I'd like to see him demand the ball off the back and get turned on it more. He clearly has the technical ability to do it.

But in the last three games, he has shown huge improvement in his fitness, commitment, positional play and even cynicism. The half hearted joker who used get caught ahead of the ball routinely and barely break sweat getting back has gone.

Agree with that.  I don't think he is a genuine defensive midfielder and would be better served playing just ahead of that type of player. 

If we do stay up and McGinn recovers his fitness and form, and we sign a proper defensive midfielder instead of Danny Drinkwater, a midfield three like below would be pretty decent:

New defensive midfielder

Douglas                                     McGinn

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #944 on: June 27, 2020, 02:42:42 PM »
Once again the only player with any credit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal