collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed  (Read 473702 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed
« Reply #855 on: January 19, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
He’s about a week younger than Callum, I believe. Think it mostly just emphasises the point the he is going to be inconsistent and that we need to have a bit of patience with him.

There is clearly a very good player in there in my opinion. We are in a situation where we are having to use him a lot more than perhaps you would like to with regards to his development, hence we are seeing some flaws to his game and inconsistent displays.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #856 on: January 19, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »
Put a couple of solid, mean, ball winning bastards next to him in the middle, Douglas Luiz will flourish. He’s being asked to do a role that doesn’t empathize his strengths. Today again, fleetingly we caught a glimpse of what he can do.

I 100% agree. I think he’s going to be a top player but the management hasn’t yet worked out the position that suits him instead of the position that suits us. Another one who will flourish but just need to stay up.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #857 on: January 19, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
Put a couple of solid, mean, ball winning bastards next to him in the middle, Douglas Luiz will flourish. He’s being asked to do a role that doesn’t empathize his strengths. Today again, fleetingly we caught a glimpse of what he can do.

I 100% agree. I think he’s going to be a top player but the management hasn’t yet worked out the position that suits him instead of the position that suits us. Another one who will flourish but just need to stay up.
Smith has not worked out a midfield in terms of shape or personnel.
All of our midfield look like square pegs in round holes.
I think the biggest problem is you need a midfielder to be the pivot or the anchor and you build the shape around them.
We too often look like 3 random blokes thrown together in the Centre of the park.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:13:46 AM by ChicagoLion »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #858 on: January 19, 2020, 10:07:18 AM »
He's definitely got the ability, he just hasn't been used in a way that brings the best out of him. A constantly changing midfield three doesn't help either.

I just can't see what kind of midfielder he is though Risso.  He's not really a defensive midfielder who can sit in front of the back four and dictate play and he's not really an attacking midfielder who is going to link things up in the final.  I suppose in that way, he is a bit like Pogba and Manchester United have had problems trying to fit him in since he arrived.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #859 on: January 19, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »
When Luiz came, he stated that he liked to break up play and give the ball to our "further up the field" players.  Currently, he is a little lightweight to do this on his own.  However, he can quite easily  be one of a compact 3 in this new system.  A few workouts in the gym won't do him any harm either.

Ideally, if we could get  Nzonzi in, I think a midfield including Luiz would prosper - Especially with SJM back.

Age is on his side, he is learning fast and there is definitely a good player there.  I think the speed of his decision making is a problem currently and when he can address this, coupled with a slight improvement in strength, we'll see the real Luiz.  He was outstanding at Burnley and again yesterday, put a shift in.  Currently should start ahead of Drinkwater who needs to be blooded in from off the bench.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #860 on: January 19, 2020, 10:22:04 AM »
In old school speak, Paisley I believe, he's a 'spreader'. Which means that he sits somewhere in the middle, protected by a defensive player and providing for a 'runner' someone who carries the ball forward and gets into the box, and a wide player. So he doesn't really fit into our formation / we don't have an adequate defensive player to offer him protection, he ends up partially trying to do that himself and he's absolutely shit at it.

In terms of the formation, if we're playing 3 at the back, which I like, you would play with 2 centre mids. One would be a defensive protector and one a box to box player, both robust types. If you're playing flat back 4, you can have the 3 in the middle, a defensive player (haven't got one), a spreader (him if he can show a bit more consistency and urgency) and a runner (McGinn). Then again, you could also play with the defensive player, a box to box (McGinn) and a behind the attackers free role (Grealish).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:28:56 AM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #861 on: January 19, 2020, 10:36:31 AM »
I want Luiz to come good, but I think his best position at the moment is coming on, off the bench. Luiz and Nakamba in the same team doesn't work. I don't think he's a dcm and I'm yet to be convinced he has a place in the team further forward as he gives the ball away too much and doesn't track back very well. The guy has potential but having spent £15m on him I don't want him to become the next Josh Onomah

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #862 on: January 19, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
What a ball for grealishes goal. I like him a lot although he has a mistake in him at times

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #863 on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
I must admit that ball for Jack's goal was a sublime.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #864 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:49 AM »
I want Luiz to come good, but I think his best position at the moment is coming on, off the bench. Luiz and Nakamba in the same team doesn't work. I don't think he's a dcm and I'm yet to be convinced he has a place in the team further forward as he gives the ball away too much and doesn't track back very well. The guy has potential but having spent £15m on him I don't want him to become the next Josh Onomah

In a more normal/ideal situation I would imagine that would be how we would be using him. Or certainly be less reliant on him playing as many minutes as he currently is. The problem is that if we did do that is it leaves us with the rather limited options of Nakamba, Drinkwater or Hourihane to start instead which is obviously less than ideal.

At the moment I guess it is a case of selecting the games he can start where you can accept the trade off between his rawness/naivety (that can lead to mistakes) against the quality he has on the ball.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #865 on: January 20, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
I still think he's poor and I don't mean financially

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #866 on: January 20, 2020, 02:34:12 PM »
I think he'll be a player.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #867 on: January 20, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »
He's a very talented player. He is also young and inexperienced. He is far from poor.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #868 on: January 20, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »
I think he will be good, too. Like I always thought Delph would come good. Hopefully Luiz won't turn out to be a filthy Quisling ******.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #869 on: January 20, 2020, 02:51:16 PM »
Luiz's situation reminds me of the Veretout signing.  Clearly he has talent, and has shown glimpses of real class, but he makes mistakes and looks a bit off the pace in the premier league.  I hope we can afford to give him time to develop, because he's obviously still very young and getting to grips with English football. 

Veretout was similar when signed for us (was also 21?), and didn't look that great for us in a struggling side, but he has gone on to be a well-regarded midfielder in Italy (I think Roma have agreed to sign him for £20m?), and I can see this lad having a similar trajectory, there is DEFINITELY a player in there - I just hope he's one we can see blossom WITH us, rather than after leaving.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal