collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:14:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:54 PM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England  (Read 156783 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Ezri Konsa - signed
« Reply #705 on: July 21, 2022, 10:39:20 PM »
Agree with this, the amount of pressure the backline came under by not having a decent defensive midfielder it's no wonder the backline struggled.

Agreed but it’s also that Gerrard’s style requires the fullbacks to constantly get forward meaning the centre backs can get pulled out of position by quick counter attacks. So for me it’s partly down to personnel in midfield but also being a bit smarter about when to commit going forward. Both of these things can be improved by not giving away possession easily.

This is why Watkins is a problem.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #706 on: July 21, 2022, 11:54:51 PM »
Agree with this, the amount of pressure the backline came under by not having a decent defensive midfielder it's no wonder the backline struggled.

Agreed but it’s also that Gerrard’s style requires the fullbacks to constantly get forward meaning the centre backs can get pulled out of position by quick counter attacks. So for me it’s partly down to personnel in midfield but also being a bit smarter about when to commit going forward. Both of these things can be improved by not giving away possession easily.

I see the point but I disagree, Watkins does have some ropey touches (but nothing like as many as people claim, it was about 2.5 per game last season which is similar to players like Kane, Salah and Mane) but he also runs into the channels and presses defenders as well anyone in the league which often slows the ball down. Our problem was that if you beat his high press it was very easy to move through our midfield in 1-2 passes and expose our central defenders pretty high up the pitch.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #707 on: July 22, 2022, 12:00:10 AM »

I see the point but I disagree, Watkins does have some ropey touches (but nothing like as many as people claim, it was about 2.5 per game last season which is similar to players like Kane, Salah and Mane) but he also runs into the channels and presses defenders as well anyone in the league which often slows the ball down. Our problem was that if you beat his high press it was very easy to move through our midfield in 1-2 passes and expose our central defenders pretty high up the pitch.

I'll take your word for it as regard the stats, but I don't remember seeing Kane, Salah or Mane trapping the ball with their shin and sending it right back into the opposition's midfield quite as regularly as Watkins did.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #708 on: July 22, 2022, 12:15:06 AM »

I'll take your word for it as regard the stats, but I don't remember seeing Kane, Salah or Mane trapping the ball with their shin and sending it right back into the opposition's midfield quite as regularly as Watkins did.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/8618/Stages/19793/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2021-2022 - offensive tab and then sort by UnsTch.

Just to clarify as well, I'm not comparing him to those 3, I'm saying that some dodgy first touches don't make you a bad striker/attacking player, some of the best player in the country do the same thing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #709 on: July 22, 2022, 11:49:06 AM »
It's a very, very noticeable weakness in his play though. As SE says, you just don't see the players you mention shonking it 10 yards off their shin like Watkins does.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #710 on: July 22, 2022, 12:18:07 PM »
It's a very, very noticeable weakness in his play though. As SE says, you just don't see the players you mention shonking it 10 yards off their shin like Watkins does.

No, but they lose the ball as many times in a game as he does through poor control, usually under pressure from a defender. All i'm saying is that this particular criticism of Watkins is more common this season after a below expected goal return than it was last season after a better than expected goal return in his first season. I just think we're got to a point where every time his touch lets him down it takes over as the only thing to talk about with him and it gives people an unfairly negative perception of his performances, going as far as blaming him for our poor defence last season.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #711 on: August 20, 2022, 02:45:18 PM »
Gets the start ahead of Chambers to partner Mings today
Go on Ezri get on the end of a set piece . Hoping he will silence the palace attack and Zaha.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #712 on: August 20, 2022, 03:25:07 PM »
Gets the start ahead of Chambers to partner Mings today
Go on Ezri get on the end of a set piece . Hoping he will silence the palace attack and Zaha.

Still early in the game, but it hasn’t worked so far. Chambers should be ahead of him

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #713 on: August 20, 2022, 03:39:25 PM »
Sounds like he's been given twisted bloody by the Palace attack in the first half.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #714 on: August 20, 2022, 03:52:51 PM »
If you're not watching it's difficult to convey in mere words how bad he's been.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #715 on: August 20, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »
Done as a PL footballer. Whatever he had, and it was lovely to watch at his best he has completely lost.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #716 on: August 20, 2022, 03:55:56 PM »
He looks a nervous wreck.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #717 on: August 20, 2022, 03:56:07 PM »
It is baffling, he looked like he was on the way to international recognition two seasons ago. A great defender in every sense. He looks so shaky now. He is coming back from injury but the dip in form goes back further than that. Surprised Gerrard didn't play Chambers today, wouldn't be surprised if he made the change at half time.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #718 on: August 20, 2022, 03:58:08 PM »
Maybe he started to believe his own hype and never worked hard enough at improving his game. And as made mistakes and opposing teams exposed his flaws his confidence has been destroyed.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #719 on: August 20, 2022, 04:14:38 PM »
Maybe he started to believe his own hype and never worked hard enough at improving his game. And as made mistakes and opposing teams exposed his flaws his confidence has been destroyed.

Maybe he over achieved and is now at his level

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal