collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343409 times)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: VAR
« Reply #2025 on: June 15, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »
The use of VAR in the Euros has been pretty sensible so far. None of the mayhem we get in the Premier League.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2026 on: June 15, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »
Maybe these lot aren't being paid by Manure ::)

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #2027 on: June 15, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
It has also stopped the diving and rolling about, as play is being allowed to carry on!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2028 on: June 15, 2021, 11:29:37 AM »
It's funny how other countries seem to use it sensibly but as soon as we try it it become like the blind leading the blind.  It will never work until all ego is taken out of it and refs are willing to just double check thie own decisions, with a bit of help as and when needed.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2029 on: June 15, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »
It has also stopped the diving and rolling about, as play is being allowed to carry on!
Refs seem to be taking a more sensible approach to robust challenges; refreshing to see.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #2030 on: June 15, 2021, 12:04:17 PM »
I think our referees are just not good enough and do all they can to protect each other. That’s apart from looking after the “big 6 twats”!

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2031 on: June 15, 2021, 12:33:47 PM »
It's funny how other countries seem to use it sensibly but as soon as we try it it become like the blind leading the blind.  It will never work until all ego is taken out of it and refs are willing to just double check thie own decisions, with a bit of help as and when needed.
I agree. They have massively over complicated it in this country. And Premier League referees are definitely influenced by their own egos.

Online The Edge

« Reply #2032 on: June 15, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »
Personally I’d scrap it until the real time offside system is ready.

Sensors on boots, ball and along the pitch….job done. Change the offside to feet only and you’re sorted.
I just don't agree with the whole principle of a player being give offside for such fine margins. The offside rules were never meant to punish the attacking player so harshly and once again it raises the spectre of not being able to celebrate a goal properly which takes away the biggest enjoyment of following a football team. We need to get away from relying on technology to such an extent that we forget why we actually attend football matches which is the spontaneous enjoyment of celebrating a goal. It was bought in to remove the "clear and obvious errors" from the game. A quick check of a monitor by a ref a couple of times per game is the only way I can accept var as part of the game. If it's not a clear and obvious error from that initial viewing the goal stands. I would introduce a monitor in each dug out so clubs can get the benefit of that same view and allow 2 "challenges" for each team. Also refs to be miked up whilst they are reviewing a decision so everyone can understand his decision in real time.

But a real time automatic system would give an almost instant offside decision. Just like when a player scores and checks the linesman before celebrating
Yes but even if they can guarantee accuracy like toenail or a fingernail may be offside is that what we really want? It's not in the spirit that it was intended and would massively affect matchday enjoyment which is what draws us to the game in the first place.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2033 on: June 15, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »
I dunno.  If it's feet only and accurate techno;ogy I can't see the problem with that.  People seem to forget the amount of shite decisions there was before VAR, so I'm all for technology taking dodgy decisions out of the hands of incompetants if there was a way to deal with offside.  I don't think it would effect match day entetainment any more than a flag.

Online frank black

« Reply #2034 on: June 15, 2021, 12:58:42 PM »

Sensors on boots, ball and along the pitch….job done. Change the offside to feet only and you’re sorted.
I just don't agree with the whole principle of a player being give offside for such fine margins. The offside rules were never meant to punish the attacking player so harshly and once again it raises the spectre of not being able to celebrate a goal properly which takes away the biggest enjoyment of following a football team. We need to get away from relying on technology to such an extent that we forget why we actually attend football matches which is the spontaneous enjoyment of celebrating a goal. It was bought in to remove the "clear and obvious errors" from the game. A quick check of a monitor by a ref a couple of times per game is the only way I can accept var as part of the game. If it's not a clear and obvious error from that initial viewing the goal stands. I would introduce a monitor in each dug out so clubs can get the benefit of that same view and allow 2 "challenges" for each team. Also refs to be miked up whilst they are reviewing a decision so everyone can understand his decision in real time.

But a real time automatic system would give an almost instant offside decision. Just like when a player scores and checks the linesman before celebrating
Yes but even if they can guarantee accuracy like toenail or a fingernail may be offside is that what we really want? It's not in the spirit that it was intended and would massively affect matchday enjoyment which is what draws us to the game in the first place.

They could set it up however we wanted. An inch, a foot or a yard. It will be accurate and do away with linesman

Online The Edge

« Reply #2035 on: June 15, 2021, 01:59:41 PM »

They could set it up however we wanted. An inch, a foot or a yard. It will be accurate and do away with linesman
Linesmen aren't just there for offsides. I'm a traditionalist all the way and computers making decisions is just wrong in my view. I do think there’s a place for technology but only in a limited way. Just a monitor that gives the referee a better view of events. That's it. If it's not a clear and obvious error the original decision stands and limit it's use to 2 appeals each per game.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2036 on: June 23, 2021, 09:15:29 PM »
If the Premier League want to see how VAR should work they can watch France's second goal tonight.

Linesman flags offside, striker sticks the ball in the goal. VAR review, no silly lines, decide the striker looks onside and the goal is given. All sorted within 5 seconds.

It's no more complicated than that.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2037 on: June 23, 2021, 09:20:17 PM »
If the Premier League want to see how VAR should work they can watch France's second goal tonight.

Linesman flags offside, striker sticks the ball in the goal. VAR review, no silly lines, decide the striker looks onside and the goal is given. All sorted within 5 seconds.

I have no doubt the little Englander’s at Stockley Park won’t be employing any of those foreign type rules

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2038 on: June 24, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »

Linesmen aren't just there for offsides. I'm a traditionalist all the way and computers making decisions is just wrong in my view. I do think there’s a place for technology but only in a limited way. Just a monitor that gives the referee a better view of events. That's it. If it's not a clear and obvious error the original decision stands and limit it's use to 2 appeals each per game.

If you are a traditionalist why do you want 2 appeals per game?

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2039 on: June 24, 2021, 09:39:39 AM »

I have no doubt the little Englander’s at Stockley Park won’t be employing any of those foreign type rules

VAR has worked brilliantly at the euros without all the nonsense we have seen over two years in the premier league. If the authorities must look to the efficiency of the VAR at the euros and learn. Otherwise scrap it as the way it works in the premier league is like a clown show in comparison.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal