collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 351362 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: VAR
« Reply #2010 on: May 22, 2021, 01:35:12 PM »
The bit that doesn’t get talked about enough is if the offside being adjudged created a clear and obvious advantage of the attacking team. I’m all for offside being called then. But even when someone scored from a hairs width offside I woods argue strongly that wasn’t the deciding factor in the goal being scored. In some of the stuff we’ve seen it’s utterly ludicrous what is being disallowed.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2011 on: May 22, 2021, 02:33:33 PM »
if the referees and linesmen had been good at their jobs over the years we wouldn't have needed VAR.

And now that we’ve got it you’d think there would be an improvement. Can you imagine if all these officials including Var were in charge of air traffic control?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2012 on: May 22, 2021, 02:35:16 PM »
if the referees and linesmen had been good at their jobs over the years we wouldn't have needed VAR.

And now that we’ve got it you’d think there would be an improvement. Can you imagine if all these officials including Var were in charge of air traffic control?
or the government.....

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #2013 on: May 23, 2021, 07:05:48 PM »
Well, finally the clowns in charge got it right today.
Took them long enough.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2014 on: June 10, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »
Dragging this back up, there's a story on sky that they've agreed to use thicker lines for offside decisions.

Good decision in principle but I'd like to see this in action before giving them credit. Personally I'd say 8-10cm and any overlap is onside that has the same effect as "Umpire's call" in the cricket and makes the decision making process far quicker.

I don't mind them keeping VAR so long as they are willing to make changes like this, again though I will change my mind if the change is pointless and means it's still a mess.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #2015 on: June 11, 2021, 01:37:10 AM »
This might be an improvement, as it's about line decisions.

VAR won't have any credibility until it starts cleaning up the 'opinion' decisions like in our game against ManUre.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2016 on: June 11, 2021, 08:12:27 AM »
Don't they do the thicker lines thing on the continent? I think it's the Netherlands or Germany...

Recognising that the technology isn't capable of the accuracy a millimetre thick line implies is a start but unless it comes with a 20 second or so cap on the time allowed to the VAR I can still see them poring over seventeen different angles for minutes while we sit in the ground waiting to hear if we're allowed to celebrate a goal.

Offline frank black

« Reply #2017 on: June 11, 2021, 08:17:24 AM »
Personally I’d scrap it until the real time offside system is ready.

Sensors on boots, ball and along the pitch….job done. Change the offside to feet only and you’re sorted.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2018 on: June 11, 2021, 08:26:17 AM »

Sensors on boots, ball and along the pitch….job done. Change the offside to feet only and you’re sorted.

They should have the players in those full body CGI suits

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2019 on: June 11, 2021, 08:40:42 AM »

VAR won't have any credibility until it starts cleaning up the 'opinion' decisions like in our game against ManUre.

VAR will never work on subjective decisions.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2020 on: June 11, 2021, 11:13:27 AM »

VAR will never work on subjective decisions.

It does in rugby.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2021 on: June 11, 2021, 12:11:26 PM »
Don't they do the thicker lines thing on the continent? I think it's the Netherlands or Germany...

Recognising that the technology isn't capable of the accuracy a millimetre thick line implies is a start but unless it comes with a 20 second or so cap on the time allowed to the VAR I can still see them poring over seventeen different angles for minutes while we sit in the ground waiting to hear if we're allowed to celebrate a goal.

They do, it's in the Netherlands, and it seems to work quite well. If the lines touch, it's not offside. There is still controversy, but the thicker lines give that margin for error and takes away the whole "he was off by the thickness of his shirt" rubbish that we've seen.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #2022 on: June 12, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
VAR 'opinion' decisions may or may not be possible, but when the outcomes repeatedly go in favour of the 'big' clubs, there is a credibility problem.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2023 on: June 15, 2021, 05:20:06 AM »

I just don't agree with the whole principle of a player being give offside for such fine margins. The offside rules were never meant to punish the attacking player so harshly and once again it raises the spectre of not being able to celebrate a goal properly which takes away the biggest enjoyment of following a football team. We need to get away from relying on technology to such an extent that we forget why we actually attend football matches which is the spontaneous enjoyment of celebrating a goal. It was bought in to remove the "clear and obvious errors" from the game. A quick check of a monitor by a ref a couple of times per game is the only way I can accept var as part of the game. If it's not a clear and obvious error from that initial viewing the goal stands. I would introduce a monitor in each dug out so clubs can get the benefit of that same view and allow 2 "challenges" for each team. Also refs to be miked up whilst they are reviewing a decision so everyone can understand his decision in real time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:27:51 AM by The Edge »

Offline frank black

« Reply #2024 on: June 15, 2021, 06:51:43 AM »

I just don't agree with the whole principle of a player being give offside for such fine margins. The offside rules were never meant to punish the attacking player so harshly and once again it raises the spectre of not being able to celebrate a goal properly which takes away the biggest enjoyment of following a football team. We need to get away from relying on technology to such an extent that we forget why we actually attend football matches which is the spontaneous enjoyment of celebrating a goal. It was bought in to remove the "clear and obvious errors" from the game. A quick check of a monitor by a ref a couple of times per game is the only way I can accept var as part of the game. If it's not a clear and obvious error from that initial viewing the goal stands. I would introduce a monitor in each dug out so clubs can get the benefit of that same view and allow 2 "challenges" for each team. Also refs to be miked up whilst they are reviewing a decision so everyone can understand his decision in real time.

But a real time automatic system would give an almost instant offside decision. Just like when a player scores and checks the linesman before celebrating

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal