collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343362 times)

Offline rougegorge

Re: VAR
« Reply #1635 on: November 30, 2020, 11:34:24 PM »
It would be fairer if VAR just used the part of the body that was used to score. That way, measuring the position of an arm or the head would become redundant if a player scores with his foot and the foot is onside.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1636 on: November 30, 2020, 11:35:51 PM »
I have never been in favour of VAR and I never will be.  I said to The Malandro earlier in the day that the problem lies with officials of one sort or another grafting themselves onto the body of the game.  They are parasites.  For decades the game has grown and prospered with just the players, the referee and the linesmen out on the field of play participating in the game.  Along comes a clever, very expensive piece of equipment called VAR and suddenly the important people are the people with the equipment and they fucking love it.  Referees and linesmen no longer regard the game as their first and only priority, they buy into VAR because they can bask in the extra attention it creates for them.  Football became the Beautiful Game when nobody knew the referee or the linesmens' names.  They were men in black who ran the game.  What is that song about paving paradise and putting up a parking lot.  You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1637 on: November 30, 2020, 11:35:55 PM »
They have to eliminate slow motion.

I think you have to make the call in real-time. You can see anything you want in slow motion. It turns one second into 30 and makes unintentional things look malicious.. especially handballs.

VAR isn't used to review the current laws, its re-writing the rule book to give PMGOL a way out of every mistake they make.

This isn't football.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1638 on: November 30, 2020, 11:42:22 PM »
It would be fairer if VAR just used the part of the body that was used to score. That way, measuring the position of an arm or the head would become redundant if a player scores with his foot and the foot is onside.

An agreeable and simple solution, and I'm genuinely very surprised that this is the first time I've seen or heard it suggested. Gets my vote.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1639 on: December 01, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »
Even then if a striker has long hair, hair being part of the head and in the act of heading a goal his hair is marginally in an offside position it will be given offside. Case in point, check out Bamford's disallowed goal at Palace. It was part of his top FFS.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1640 on: December 01, 2020, 12:39:03 AM »
I'm going to be saying this forever now, because once I think of (more likely steal) a good point I hammer it home remorselessly so here goes:

When a decision is so millimetre-close how in the name of God can the exact split-second the ball is kicked possibly be judged?

Offline pelty

« Reply #1641 on: December 01, 2020, 12:43:19 AM »
I'm going to be saying this forever now, because once I think of (more likely steal) a good point I hammer it home remorselessly so here goes:

When a decision is so millimetre-close how in the name of God can the exact split-second the ball is kicked possibly be judged?

Keep preaching!

Also, does the "clear and obvious error" apply only for penalties? Do you or anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1642 on: December 01, 2020, 12:45:10 AM »

Keep preaching!

Also, does the "clear and obvious error" apply only for penalties? Do you or anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Nobody knows and that's the thing. There's no clarity, and no consistent interpretation.

Offline devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #1643 on: December 01, 2020, 12:47:50 AM »

That's what Chicago Lion said on the Post match zoom and the answer is if course that you can't which makes the whole process completely farcical. Plus of course the defender had his arm around Watkins' throat so that's a penalty  but does var see that? No of course not.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1644 on: December 01, 2020, 06:48:16 AM »
I am still trying to work out what part of his body (hair) was offside?

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1645 on: December 01, 2020, 08:05:10 AM »
VAR isn’t the problem as we all know. It’s the people running it - in this country - that are the problem, and they’re bullet proof.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1646 on: December 01, 2020, 08:08:17 AM »
I think someone mentioned it last night but it's long overdue that clubs execs stepped up and did something about this circus, they can't change it now we're underway but it either needs a complete overhaul or removing come the season end.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1647 on: December 01, 2020, 08:48:11 AM »

Keep preaching!

Nobody knows and that's the thing. There's no clarity, and no consistent interpretation.

It’s my major gripe with the offside interpretation if we are going down the route of being precise to the extent we are. There seems to be no set rule as to the measurement of when a ball is played forward. They have a slow mo of the ball with trajectory. VAR people are not physicists obviously. The ball is kicked once the foot makes contact with it, not when it motions forward from the boot.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1648 on: December 01, 2020, 08:50:31 AM »

It's a good point.  Another one is why they decided that any other decision such as penalties have to be "clear and obvious" to keep the flow and the intensity of the game going, but offsides have to be exact to the nearest millimetre which can take a few minutes to ascertain.  Why can't offsides have the clear and obvious rule as well?  If they have to use their lines, then it's not clear and obvious, and the goal stands.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #1649 on: December 01, 2020, 08:59:28 AM »
For offside I've said before they should flip it on its head. If any part is level with the defender it's a goal. Advantage to the attacking team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal