collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343544 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #1620 on: November 30, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »
I’d rather we sorted our own shit in defence and in front of goal than debating something we have no control over. 
We do that and it becomes peripheral in this particular contest.  I’m more pissed off with some of our players than VAR. Fuck me, Cash managed to give the ball back to them twice in the build up to their 2nd.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #1621 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:35 PM »
They are applying a rule so literally that it is ruining the game. There is almost nothing about VAR that fans agree on that is a benefit for the game.
But they are not. If Ollie was offside he was also fouled. So ok disallow the goal but don't ignore the obvious foul that anyone with two eyes can see.
Carragher and Neville are saying the same thing. The VAR has only looked at the offside and totally ignored the foul. If Watkins had gone down it would have been a penalty but he tried to stay up.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1622 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:54 PM »
It is incredible that they didn’t spot the foul on Watkins with all that tech available.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1623 on: November 30, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »
Var has ruined the game of football.
Football as a live spectacle has lost its way.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1624 on: November 30, 2020, 10:39:20 PM »
Fuck it.

Burn it with fucking fire, put the ashes in a safe and drop into the deepest trench in the Pacific. Fucking ****** of a system.

Imagine being in the ground tonight having travelled 200 miles, paid £30, gone barmy and been told no lads, stop enjoying football, some ****** with a fucking ipad in Hillingdon reckons your arm is offside and cannot spot a nailed on penalty.

FUCK VAR.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1625 on: November 30, 2020, 10:40:23 PM »
Fuck it.

Burn it with fucking fire, put the ashes in a safe and drop into the deepest trench in the Pacific. Fucking ****** of a system.

Imagine being in the ground tonight having travelled 200 miles, paid £30, gone barmy and been told no lads, stop enjoying football, some ****** with a fucking ipad in Hillingdon reckons your arm is offside and cannot spot a nailed on penalty.

FUCK VAR.

I agree with Ads.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1626 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:25 PM »
Somebody on the post match thread said he was going crazy when we scored but his 10 year old sat there quietly in case VAR ruled it out. What a sad image.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1627 on: November 30, 2020, 10:48:50 PM »
I’ve stopped celebrating goals now.

I guess that’s what SKY and the PL wanted all along. A nice passive, sanitised crowd, no reactions, nothing spontaneous or exiting.

Just sit there, let them them do the fake crowd noise thing, and enjoy people playing with lines on a screen, disallowing goals for every ridiculous reason imaginable.

If it wasn’t for the money, I’d take the championship and the ability to celebrate goals in the old traditional way.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1628 on: November 30, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
It is shit now.
Anyone scores and the first thing in your head is VAR check.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #1629 on: November 30, 2020, 10:53:36 PM »
In the last decade or so, changes to the Laws, or at least how they are interpreted have made football a better spectacle as it has prevented the flair, edge-of-our-seats players from simply being kicked out of the game.  However, the whole point of the game is to put the ball in the net and when a system designed to present clear and obvious errors is in fact working on the presumption that there is a reason to disallow a goal, it is a massive retrograde step and is now destroying that spectacle.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1630 on: November 30, 2020, 11:03:48 PM »
They are applying a rule so literally that it is ruining the game. There is almost nothing about VAR that fans agree on that is a benefit for the game.
But they are not. If Ollie was offside he was also fouled. So ok disallow the goal but don't ignore the obvious foul that anyone with two eyes can see.

Your point is perfectly valid. I’m just saying the infraction was offside. That they missed the foul entirely is utter incompetence. It’s clearly a professional foul to stop him from getting the ball but I can only assume they decided the offside happened first deeming the foul a secondary issue. It’s fucking ludicrous however you look at it. Without VAR that’s a goal. Simple. And without VAR that could happen to us too. I have never heard a football fan complain when the margins were so tight it was impossible to see with the human eye.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1631 on: November 30, 2020, 11:10:23 PM »
In the last decade or so, changes to the Laws, or at least how they are interpreted have made football a better spectacle as it has prevented the flair, edge-of-our-seats players from simply being kicked out of the game.  However, the whole point of the game is to put the ball in the net and when a system designed to present clear and obvious errors is in fact working on the presumption that there is a reason to disallow a goal, it is a massive retrograde step and is now destroying that spectacle.

I said sort of the same in the post-match thread. In attempting to fix the problem of match officials making mistakes, they've made the situation far, far worse by making just as many mistakes, and taking all the spontaneity out of the game in taking ages to do so. 

If an offside decision requires drawing lines to 0.000001mm, then fuck it, just let it stand.  Even if it goes against us, I'd rather concede the goal.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1632 on: November 30, 2020, 11:17:54 PM »

Your point is perfectly valid. I’m just saying the infraction was offside. That they missed the foul entirely is utter incompetence. It’s clearly a professional foul to stop him from getting the ball but I can only assume they decided the offside happened first deeming the foul a secondary issue. It’s fucking ludicrous however you look at it. Without VAR that’s a goal. Simple. And without VAR that could happen to us too. I have never heard a football fan complain when the margins were so tight it was impossible to see with the human eye.
Never intended to disagree with you it is inconsistency in application that they can check offside in minute detail but ignore an obvious foul.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1633 on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:05 PM »

I said sort of the same in the post-match thread. In attempting to fix the problem of match officials making mistakes, they've made the situation far, far worse by making just as many mistakes, and taking all the spontaneity out of the game in taking ages to do so. 

If an offside decision requires drawing lines to 0.000001mm, then fuck it, just let it stand.  Even if it goes against us, I'd rather concede the goal.

Me too, it’s just bollocks. Technology should only be applied where it improves the game. How the fuck can anyone honestly argue that this in anyway enhances it?

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1634 on: November 30, 2020, 11:28:15 PM »
You cannot possibly tell when the ball is kicked, because the ball changes shape when you kick it.  But they reckon they can minutely check with a set square and protractor where their arms and legs are when it comes to offside.  It's all bollocks. No-one bothers with the pass of the ball, they only really check the arms and legs.  Unless it's absolutely obvious, play on. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal