collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343590 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: VAR
« Reply #1335 on: September 21, 2020, 08:31:33 PM »
yep, that's the idea. Does the overturning of a decision by VAR effect the team penalised more than if its just a straight decision by the ref.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1336 on: September 21, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
On the basis Sheffield United played exactly how you'd expect a team with 10 men to play and the result was exactly what you'd expect when a team has a man sent off after 12 minutes, in my expert opinion the VAR decision had sod all effect on tonight's game.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1337 on: September 21, 2020, 08:55:43 PM »
On the basis Sheffield United played exactly how you'd expect a team with 10 men to play and the result was exactly what you'd expect when a team has a man sent off after 12 minutes, in my expert opinion the VAR decision had sod all effect on tonight's game.

ah but there was no VAR decision tonight.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1338 on: September 21, 2020, 08:59:32 PM »
Thought red was harsh given distance and angle.

Thought pen was correct even though contact wasn’t 100%.

He could have also gone for this.

Result 100% happy

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1339 on: September 21, 2020, 09:28:53 PM »

Result 100% happy

You're not really a Villa fan are you? Watkins was clearly pulled back and would have won the race to the ball.  Targett was naive and poorly positioned but a bit unlucky that the sniper on the North Stand roof took the United players legs from under him.  Barely touched him.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1340 on: September 21, 2020, 09:30:44 PM »

Sure, if you ignore the two VAR decisions then there were no VAR decisions. 🙄

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1341 on: September 21, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »

well I mean when they overrule the refs original decision or rather passively aggressively suggest he look again. On a related point has a ref ever looked at a decision pointed out to him and still gone "nah, i was right first time"?

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1342 on: September 21, 2020, 09:43:46 PM »
http://

Result 100% happy

You're not really a Villa fan are you? Watkins was clearly pulled back and would have won the race to the ball.  Targett was naive and poorly positioned but a bit unlucky that the sniper on the North Stand roof took the United players legs from under him.  Barely touched him.

See 100% happy part for clarification.

I don’t happen to agree with you.

It’s all quite academic really though as we won and I’m over the moon.

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #1343 on: September 21, 2020, 09:52:02 PM »

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1344 on: September 21, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »

well I mean when they overrule the refs original decision or rather passively aggressively suggest he look again. On a related point has a ref ever looked at a decision pointed out to him and still gone "nah, i was right first time"?

Does it matter whether the VAR overruled the onfield ref?

I can say I was just as, if not more, pissed off when VAR failed to send off Fernandes for stamping on Konsa, giving Man U a penalty, as I was when VAR ruled out our goal at Burnley (I think) because Wesley's heel was offside.

An injustice is annoying regardless of whether it's the onfield ref or the VAR who delivers it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:06:00 PM by Ad@m »

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1345 on: September 21, 2020, 09:57:02 PM »

le

What does this actually prove - 40 yards from goal, keeper en route, arms all over the gaff, if this was against Mings I would be livid.

As it’s happens I’m over the moon with the decision but I don’t have to agree.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1346 on: September 21, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »

le

What does this actually prove - 40 yards from goal, keeper en route, arms all over the gaff, if this was against Mings I would be livid.

Watkins was being held as the image proves which is punishable by the awarding of a direct free-kick.  There was no covering defender between them and the goalkeeper that could have prevented the goal scoring opportunity had Watkins had a free run so, the referee was correct in his decision to award the free-kick and dismiss the defender.  Whether this incident took place forty yards or forty inches from the goal is completely irrelevant.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1347 on: September 21, 2020, 10:11:51 PM »

Does it matter whether the VAR overruled the onfield ref?

I can say I was just as, if not more, pissed off when VAR failed to send off Fernandes for stamping on Konsa, giving Man U a penalty as I was when VAR ruled out our going at Burnley (I think) because Wesley's heel was offside.

An injustice is annoying regardless of whether it's the onfield ref or the VAR who delivers it.

ah but that's the whole point of the exercise. I believe decisions being overruled by VAR effect the team concerned far worse than a decision made just be the ref. Others say not. At the end of the season, if I can be arsed to do it, we'll have a full season of games played with decisions made by the referee; decisions overruled by VAR; and how those decisions affected both us and our opponents in points earned.

and yes, I realise no-one really cares apart from me 8)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1348 on: September 21, 2020, 10:13:50 PM »

le

Watkins was being held as the image proves which is punishable by the awarding of a direct free-kick.  There was no covering defender between them and the goalkeeper that could have prevented the goal scoring opportunity had Watkins had a free run so, the referee was correct in his decision to award the free-kick and dismiss the defender.  Whether this incident took place forty yards or forty inches from the goal is completely irrelevant.

This.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1349 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:23 PM »
Ok Mary, the rules stink and I’m sure we have come undone before.
Like I said I’m over the moon with the result but it doesn’t mean I agree with the system.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal