collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by cdward
[Today at 03:31:31 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343459 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #1260 on: August 06, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
Crikey, so at a penalty any encroachment by the keeper or players and it's retaken...

I don't think so, it does say, "The player must still have a material impact on the outcome of the kick". I'm taking that to mean a keeper that saves, defender that clears, or attacker that nets a rebound.

If I am reading them correctly, then it'll eliminate stuff like the Grealish heel, and also mean that if you postage stamp a penalty, one of your teammates getting chalk on a toenail will be as inconsequential as it used to be.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1261 on: August 06, 2020, 04:42:40 PM »
Maybe on the penalties, a keeper that encroached and went the right way, arguably forcing the taker to go higher or wider, could be said to have had a material impact on the outcome of the kick. Goes the wrong way, kick clears the bar the other way, then nothing to check or even refer. But I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1262 on: August 06, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »
Crikey, so at a penalty any encroachment by the keeper or players and it's retaken...

I don't think so, it does say, "The player must still have a material impact on the outcome of the kick". I'm taking that to mean a keeper that saves, defender that clears, or attacker that nets a rebound.

If I am reading them correctly, then it'll eliminate stuff like the Grealish heel, and also mean that if you postage stamp a penalty, one of your teammates getting chalk on a toenail will be as inconsequential as it used to be.

If the keeper saves it, and his foot was 1 cm over, it'll be retaken.  If the he doesn't save it but the player taking it kicks the ball against the post, or balloons it over, THEN the keeper's actions will be reviewed to see if they were "material".  Can't see that being absolutely dreadful, nosiree bob.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1263 on: August 06, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
Bonkers.

If a pen is ballooned over and the keeper encroaches the goal line - heat on earth is there’s to review.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1264 on: August 06, 2020, 04:53:56 PM »
Literally every saved penalty will end up being retaken if they apply this properly because the keeper virtually always moves.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1265 on: August 06, 2020, 05:09:57 PM »
Literally every saved penalty will end up being retaken if they apply this properly because the keeper virtually always moves.

I disagree, I think that that's what this wording is trying to eradicate. As ever, proof will be in the pudding, but if I was in charge of implementing these guidelines, I think I could make it pretty clear to my minions what constitutes a material impact.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1266 on: August 06, 2020, 05:12:18 PM »
And they can move anyway, just not forwards.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1267 on: August 06, 2020, 05:45:52 PM »
They're addressing a problem that doesn't exist.

How many games were decided last year by a keeper being 1cm over his line and saving a pen or giving it the full Grobbelaar spaghetti legs.

So rather than sort out the clearly farcical offside rubbish they inflicted on us last year they've been digging around to create new issues.

Outstanding work. 

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #1268 on: August 06, 2020, 06:05:51 PM »
How can you allow for subjectivity with technology that deals in absolutes? They're smacking a square peg into a round hole. As we saw with the Man U penalty against us, refs are fallible even with VAR. Logical conclusion: no point in VAR.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #1269 on: August 06, 2020, 06:21:02 PM »
And also, when does subjectivity give way to it's own subjectivity? Who makes the decision on what is objectively/subjectively correct? Wesley's heel was offside by half an inch against Burnley and goal a he wasn't involved with was disallowed. RRA went with the tech there. Fernandes penalty against us? RRA made their own decision after watching replays and they got it wrong. So they're asking us to put up with decisions made objectively by using the tech, but also to allow for fallibility due to referee subjectivity using the same tech.

It's fucking nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:25:10 PM by Stu »

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1270 on: August 06, 2020, 06:35:40 PM »
They're addressing a problem that doesn't exist.

How many games were decided last year by a keeper being 1cm over his line and saving a pen or giving it the full Grobbelaar spaghetti legs.

So rather than sort out the clearly farcical offside rubbish they inflicted on us last year they've been digging around to create new issues.

Outstanding work.

I think they might be trying to sort the offside stuff. I'm choosing to infer that the issued wording hints at them only adjudicating on an offside when there's a flag.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1271 on: August 06, 2020, 07:25:14 PM »
I don’t get why it’s so hard. Make it primarily refs decision on the pitch as it used to be. If he wants to check VAR he goes to the monitor and there he can consult also with the broader team. Ultimately he still makes the final decision. I would allow the manager’s two challenges for anything; offside, penalties, fouls etc. But they only get two. In the NFL Head Coaches have two challenges. If they use the first and win they get the second. If they lose the first challenge they don’t get a second. To me this would be much better than the current system.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:32:50 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #1272 on: August 06, 2020, 07:46:56 PM »
Get rid, full stop!

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1273 on: August 06, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »
You try diving to make a save without moving the foot forward that you are pushing off a little bit, it just isn't effective. Keepers will have to start behind the line slightly if this is enforced which is ridiculous. They're not crabs. It is pretty easy to tell when a keeper is taking the piss which makes it subjective but so what?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1274 on: August 07, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »
I don’t get why it’s so hard. Make it primarily refs decision on the pitch as it used to be. If he wants to check VAR he goes to the monitor and there he can consult also with the broader team. Ultimately he still makes the final decision.

It's incredible isn't it. Rugby have been applying it successfully for years and football continue to utterly screw it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal