collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343530 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #735 on: October 21, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
VAR isn't inconsistent, it's the opinions of the referees that are inconsistent. If anything, VAR has helped to highlight how shite they are at their jobs. PGMOL needs to be cleared out, I think some of the leaders in the organisation may feel they have too much power over the game and it needs to stop.

I agree Stu, there just doesn't seem to be any accountability whatsoever.  It used to be that when a ref had a stinker, they'd pop up at a division or so lower for their next match.  The next match but one after Kevin Friend cheated us, he was reffing Man U v Arsenal.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #736 on: October 21, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
Dermot gallagher says the Manu goal was ok because the ref decided no foul and it's not VARs job to look for fouls, then goes on to say ours was a foul on the keeper and correct?

I believe it was the same referee who called the 'foul' on the Brighton keeper that let the Man United goal stand. Remarkably inconsitent.

Offline frank black

« Reply #737 on: October 21, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »
Dermot gallagher says the Manu goal was ok because the ref decided no foul and it's not VARs job to look for fouls, then goes on to say ours was a foul on the keeper and correct?

I only saw him talking about the Man Utd goal and he said if the ref on the pitch didn’t see it as a foul then the VAR ref wouldn’t need to overrule him. In which case our goal should stand. They’re making it up as they go along, it’s shit!

I believe what he was saying is that the ref saw the foul/challenge in the Man u game and waved play on. So VAR couldn’t assess it. Whereas in the Villa game the ref made no such gesture and therefore missed the incident. That was my interpretation

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #738 on: October 21, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »

I only saw him talking about the Man Utd goal and he said if the ref on the pitch didn’t see it as a foul then the VAR ref wouldn’t need to overrule him. In which case our goal should stand. They’re making it up as they go along, it’s shit!

I believe what he was saying is that the ref saw the foul/challenge in the Man u game and waved play on. So VAR couldn’t assess it. Whereas in the Villa game the ref made no such gesture and therefore missed the incident. That was my interpretation

Which kinda begs the question, wtf was he looking at, then?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #739 on: October 21, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
It seems so wrong, elongated and poor set up compared to rugby union TMO

I think football as a sport is really incompatible with the technology. Cricket and rugby both have natural breaks but the whole idea of football is it flows more or less continuously.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #740 on: October 21, 2019, 06:54:33 PM »
One of the perfect uses for VAR should have been giving the Watford pen, I can fully understand the ref not being able to see the fouls in that challenge as unless he was damn lucky the players would be blocking his view of the of it s that's where VAR comes in. Except of course VAR gives no pen. What's the fucking point if it doesn't give something as blatant as that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #741 on: October 21, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
It seems so wrong, elongated and poor set up compared to rugby union TMO

I think football as a sport is really incompatible with the technology. Cricket and rugby both have natural breaks but the whole idea of football is it flows more or less continuously.

It's not even the natural breaks as the fact that so much in football is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #742 on: October 21, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »

I’m not sure if he waved play on, I think he said Atkinson was in a good position to see the challenge and decided it wasn’t a foul, which is exactly what happened in our game.

Offline frank black

« Reply #743 on: October 21, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »

I’m not sure if he waved play on, I think he said Atkinson was in a good position to see the challenge and decided it wasn’t a foul, which is exactly what happened in our game.

Quote “Martin waves it away and once he does this it’s out of VARs hands”

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #744 on: October 21, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
Fair enough I only saw the clip on the news. I’d still argue the ref in our game saw the Wesley incident and didn’t give a foul and had a good view so I don’t see why another ref’s opinion should hold any more weight

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #745 on: October 21, 2019, 07:30:07 PM »
It’s like rules for pool in certain pubs. They are making it up as they go along. So... if something is waved play on, no matter if is a clear and obvious error, it can’t go to VAR??

Offline KRS

« Reply #746 on: October 21, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
They’ve basically made up several caveats to the VAR rules to justify incorrect decisions and make excuses. This whole “VAR can’t be involved after a referee has made a decision“ is nonsense especially when VAR is supposed to correct “clear and obvious mistakes” by match officials which is the whole point of having VAR in the first place! The only thing they are consistent in is their inconsistency and pathetic incompetence.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #747 on: October 21, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
Can I suggest that all VAR's at Stockley Park  immediately undergo a thorough eye examination at Specsavers?

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #748 on: October 21, 2019, 08:04:25 PM »
Sort of defeats the point if the ref has “seen” it!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #749 on: October 21, 2019, 08:08:25 PM »
Somehow the Cabal called the PGMOL has got control over officiating and is a self serving organization with obvious Conflicts  of Interest.
VAR has just exacerbated the jobs worth stupidity of this for maximum profit and protectionist behavior.
It’s a classic Who Guards the Guards  or Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal