collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Leon Bailey - signed by Big Ming
[Today at 09:32:57 AM]

Carney Chukwuemeka by Big Ming
[Today at 09:27:49 AM]

My worst match by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:38 AM]

Happy Rotterdam Day by tricky dicky
[Today at 09:15:45 AM]

Other Games - 2021/22 by cdbearsfan
[Today at 09:06:27 AM]

Cameron Archer by chrisw1
[Today at 08:56:06 AM]

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread by Big Ming
[Today at 07:53:18 AM]

Mediocrity. by LeonW
[Today at 05:01:13 AM]

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 6485 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 9470 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 5613 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 4960 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 5508 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matt Targett (on loan at Newcastle)  (Read 99833 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2022
Re: Matt Targett - signed
« Reply #870 on: January 20, 2022, 10:27:17 PM »
If Targett does go to the barcodes, it is arguable whether he actually improves them.  I think he's had some really good games for us but has been largely disappointing.  If we get anywhere near to what we paid for him, it will be a bonus.  Too slow for the upper Premier Division, which is where we are heading.  I guess he will be a stepping stone for Newcastle whilst they get their shit together.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #871 on: January 21, 2022, 01:00:11 AM »
I think Dean/Terry/O'Keefe etc. deserve a lot of credit for improving Targett's game. He was a weak link in our first season back, getting sick on the pitch and twisted blood from the likes of Traore running rings around him and crying off injured before half-time a couple of times.

He got stronger and more confident during "Project Restart" and has improved immeasurably. That should be factored into any valuation of him if we decide to let him go. And at 26, he's at an optimum age for buying clubs.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #872 on: January 21, 2022, 01:48:23 AM »
If Targett does go to the barcodes, it is arguable whether he actually improves them.  I think he's had some really good games for us but has been largely disappointing.  If we get anywhere near to what we paid for him, it will be a bonus.  Too slow for the upper Premier Division, which is where we are heading.  I guess he will be a stepping stone for Newcastle whilst they get their shit together.

Harsh. Surely he can't have been 'largely disappointing' given he was voted last season's Player of the Year.

I'm happy we got Digne but I also hope we keep Targett.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #873 on: January 21, 2022, 07:05:27 AM »
I would hope he stays unless we get an offer £25m +.

As stated above, he is 26, so a great age still and can still improve and was player of the year.

To get anywhere in this league, as well as having a cup run or two next season, you need a quality squad, so hope stays.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 17.08.2022
« Reply #874 on: January 21, 2022, 09:17:17 AM »

As stated above, he is 26, so a great age still and can still improve and was player of the year.

To get anywhere in this league, as well as having a cup run or two next season, you need a quality squad, so hope stays.
If I supported whichever club decided to bid 25m on Targett, Iíd be a tad annoyed that they didnít spend it on a better player in Digne instead!

Offline Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2022
« Reply #875 on: January 21, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »
I think Dean/Terry/O'Keefe etc. deserve a lot of credit for improving Targett's game. He was a weak link in our first season back, getting sick on the pitch and twisted blood from the likes of Traore running rings around him and crying off injured before half-time a couple of times.

He got stronger and more confident during "Project Restart" and has improved immeasurably. That should be factored into any valuation of him if we decide to let him go. And at 26, he's at an optimum age for buying clubs.

Or, he was just injured?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #876 on: January 21, 2022, 11:07:29 AM »
He looked more mortified than injured tbh. After the 3 month lockdown he was like a different player.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #877 on: January 21, 2022, 11:12:21 AM »
I donít want him to go anywhere, at least until one of the kids is fully up to speed. Heís improved a huge amount, and is a steady 7/10 performer most weeks. The challenge for the management team is to get him back to being as good as he was with Greasy in front of him. If he does, then Digne wonít have an easy ride being first pick.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 28.01.2023
« Reply #878 on: January 21, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »

If I supported whichever club decided to bid 25m on Targett, Iíd be a tad annoyed that they didnít spend it on a better player in Digne instead!

It would be about wages more than transfer fee - Digne is alleged to be on £120k pw

Online Olof's Beard

« Reply #879 on: January 21, 2022, 12:28:19 PM »
I know people associate Targett's downturn in form with the loss of Grealish but when the latter was out injured last season, Targett was one of the few who maintained his form during a period of downturn for the entire team.

He was brilliant last season and hardly put a foot wrong. His levels have dipped this year, although in general he's been defensively sound. The problem is with the profile of full back Gerrard wants as he pursues a style of play that mirrors the likes of Liverpool, where the full backs are important creative outlets.

He's another reliable player and great pro who has played a crucial role in establishing The Villa back where we belong. I hope he stays but he's too good to play 2 or 3 games a year. I'm always wary of making assumptions about a player's personality because us fans do it all the time when in reality we now sod all about them but he does come across as a confidence, possibly even nervous character may have reacted better to Smudger's style of management rather than Steven's.

He was brilliant last season regardless, I can't remember too many players who improved so much in such a short space of time. We'll leave behind some great servants and very good players getting to where we hope we're going and Matty Targett looks like being one of them.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #880 on: January 21, 2022, 12:37:35 PM »

If we decide to sell him we'll get a hell of a lot more than we paid.  26 years old, lots of Premier League experience, club player of the year last season, and in a position lots of clubs aren't well-stocked.  If it's Newcastle after him, considering what they've just paid for 3-goal Chris Wood then I'd expect £25 million minimum from them.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 18.05.2023
« Reply #881 on: January 21, 2022, 09:35:02 PM »
I think Benitez/Everton missed a trick not going for Targett when we were getting in Digne. Gerrard wants more from his full backs with the ball and that will never be Targett's game. But Targett proved last season what he was capable of and should have plenty of takers, better than Newcastle too.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #882 on: January 21, 2022, 09:46:21 PM »
Great for us last year.

Almost McGrathesque reading of the game at times (without the backheels and overhead kicks out of his own area, obv).

It must be a real pisser for him to see one of Gerrard's first buys being a high profile player in the exact same position as him, so can understand if he wants out.

But we shouldn't make it easy for Newcastle or anyone else.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 31.12.2022
« Reply #883 on: January 21, 2022, 09:58:10 PM »
He is another player like Nakamba that most had written off only to prove that with better coaching can improve dramatically. Never caused any trouble for the club and even when not on form was always trying his best. The games changed though and full backs these days also have to be wingers. I would like to keep him but wish him well wherever he ends up.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #884 on: January 22, 2022, 10:49:36 AM »
He's never going to be a get to the line and whip a cross in-type.

But he showed last year he could support Grealish in attack. Some of our best performances that season (Arsenal away, Liverpool at home) were with him in the final third, keeping pressure of the opposition backline with intelligent passes and link up play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal