collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matt Targett - signed  (Read 32024 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
Re: Matt Targett - signed
« Reply #360 on: February 16, 2020, 11:16:36 PM »
Iíve been a critic of his and Matt Targett wonít be the best LB ever to play for us, but thereís actually a really decent chance he could make the Euroís squad simply due to a lack of depth at that position. Heís got some pretty good attacking stats so used in the right system could be a solid back up option to Chilwell.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »
He's improved a lot and is a good asset going forward.

Can't see him getting anywhere near though - I think Shaw or Rose would be the back-up.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2020, 11:25:06 PM »
Rose has barely played all season and Shaw is so average. Youíre probably right but I know Southgate likes Targett so who knows

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2020, 11:27:27 PM »
Rose has barely played all season and Shaw is so average. Youíre probably right but I know Southgate likes Targett so who knows

I know that and you know that. But as things stand, even Jack hasn't had a chance yet over bog-average players from the top 6 so what chance do others have?

Offline Vill I An

• Hope we stay Premier league !
« Reply #364 on: May 20, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
Matt Targett on sky sports doesn't sound or look he's been that fit over the lock down.
He's started making excuses already.

"You're going to need a good five or six weeks to get into any sort of shape,' he said. '[In the first session on Tuesday] I felt so much heavier running around.

'You do different sorts of runs (in training) which is completely different to running around a park. It's a lot more intense.

'It's very different. We've been sent our individual programmes. It just felt so weird having a ball at your feet.'

This is the same Matt Targett who came to Villa unfit. Has ongoing hamstring issue .
Targett who been injured several times and then sat our extended period after he pulled his hamstring in December

Dean Smith said :
"His fitness was not where I wanted it at the start of pre-season. He was made aware of that and he agreed."

I can imagine he'll be getting injured again when he tries to push himself.
I mean don't know his personal circumstances but fitness wise he seems rather unprofessional and needs monitoring and guiding as well as better strength and conditioning.
He could prevent his injuries with being far more robust and physically fit but it's probably too late now and he's stuck with having issues with his hamstring for his career.

I'm sure Smith and team will take him to task with these comments about being heavy as this is the second time since pre season Matty Targett hasn't been up to playing standard.

Certainly looked rather bloated in face on sky sports news.
My biggest fear was exactly this. That some of the Villa players being lax with their attitude to personal fitness programmes.
Targett clearly has form with this and he'll be one of the first to pull his hamstring when he starts up with any rigor.
Really I recommend hot yoga or pilates and to get greater flexibility.
He clearly has an issue with warm and cool down as well as flexibility so he's gonna be a 14m liability and we'll have to go back to Neil Taylor for the remainder of season

It's really disparing, it really is.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2020, 12:52:11 AM »
Oh great, another Villa player you've found to castigate.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2020, 09:38:45 AM »
Some people need structure around them or they don't function the same. I'm assuming Matt is one of those. I suspect he won't be the only one across all the teams and I also suspect injuries are going to also happen across all the teams as you essentially need pre season training again and it can't be done to the same level as it normally is.

Still football needs to be played so lets force it through and risk lives and careers to finish off a season most people can't be arsed with.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
Some people need structure around them or they don't function the same.

I thought you were going to say Vill I An

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »
My take on what he says is that he's been following the programme the club have given him but it's worlds apart from being ready for elite level competition. Even training where you have experienced coaches pushing you to get the most out of you is going to be a big step-up to lockdown programming.

It sounds like there's only so many drills you can do on your own with a ball too.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #369 on: May 21, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
Matt Targett on sky sports doesn't sound or look he's been that fit over the lock down.
He's started making excuses already.

"You're going to need a good five or six weeks to get into any sort of shape,' he said. '[In the first session on Tuesday] I felt so much heavier running around.

'You do different sorts of runs (in training) which is completely different to running around a park. It's a lot more intense.

'It's very different. We've been sent our individual programmes. It just felt so weird having a ball at your feet.'

This is the same Matt Targett who came to Villa unfit. Has ongoing hamstring issue .
Targett who been injured several times and then sat our extended period after he pulled his hamstring in December

Dean Smith said :
"His fitness was not where I wanted it at the start of pre-season. He was made aware of that and he agreed."

I can imagine he'll be getting injured again when he tries to push himself.
I mean don't know his personal circumstances but fitness wise he seems rather unprofessional and needs monitoring and guiding as well as better strength and conditioning.
He could prevent his injuries with being far more robust and physically fit but it's probably too late now and he's stuck with having issues with his hamstring for his career.

I'm sure Smith and team will take him to task with these comments about being heavy as this is the second time since pre season Matty Targett hasn't been up to playing standard.

Certainly looked rather bloated in face on sky sports news.
My biggest fear was exactly this. That some of the Villa players being lax with their attitude to personal fitness programmes.
Targett clearly has form with this and he'll be one of the first to pull his hamstring when he starts up with any rigor.
Really I recommend hot yoga or pilates and to get greater flexibility.
He clearly has an issue with warm and cool down as well as flexibility so he's gonna be a 14m liability and we'll have to go back to Neil Taylor for the remainder of season

It's really disparing, it really is.

I was going to suggest you are very much a glass half empty man but I suspect you are more of a totally empty glass that is broken man. Please never volunteer to be a Samaritan.  ;)

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2020, 11:59:45 AM »
Itís a bit like home schooling.  Itís not quite the same as being in the classroom.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
 Can we give it a fucking rest on battering our own players? Just for a little bit while the world is falling to pieces and though much less importantly, we have one foot inside the PL relegation trapdoor.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2020, 03:21:48 PM »
It just felt so weird having a ball at your feet.'

That explains a lot.

Offline Vill I An

• Hope we stay Premier league !
« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »
I'm just providing educated insight and foresight that Targett Chas fitness concerns and that he'll be pulling his hamstring
It's likely to happen with the new work load and far more intense training the strain will be a lot and that just fore warning folk he likely to miss some of the run in or not be at 100%

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2020, 06:28:10 PM »
In fairness Targett has always been a bit of a whimp.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal