collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
July 03, 2021, 09:28:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1086 | Comments: 15

It would have been fitting if ...
June 23, 2021, 06:40:04 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 663 | Comments: 2

Having a total aversion to Sub...
June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 754 | Comments: 2

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 821 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1566 | Comments: 10

It’s forever been a myst...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matt Targett - signed  (Read 60081 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Matt Targett - signed
« Reply #285 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:49 PM »
Dean Smith was given a new four-year deal for getting Villa into the bottom half of the bottom half of the table. I'm not surprised he's rewarded an erratic performer with a glowing reference for a future England call-up.

This is the new Villa - where potential is valued higher than actual end product. See also Moraes, Wesley; Trezeguet, Mahmoud Hassan; etc.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:22:39 PM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline Ads

• GM : 04.04.2022
« Reply #286 on: December 27, 2019, 11:41:04 PM »
Dean Smith was given a new four-year deal for getting Villa into the bottom half of the bottom half of the table. I'm not surprised he's rewarded an erratic performer with a glowing reference for a future England call-up.

Yes he has been rewarded with a new contract for getting us in the bottom half of the table in the Premier Legaue. Having taken over a mid table Championship side 12 months ago that nobody, following us getting trashed 3-0 at Wigan, saw promotion as coming any time soon.

This is the new Villa, the 5th best 2nd division side last year having just dipped into the bottom 3 in a very competitive top flight.

Quite the achievement. Yet your post implies we've fallen from grace, rather than done rather well to pick ourselves off the canvass and yesterday secure lire first top flight double in 6 years. Context is key.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:46:24 PM by Ads »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 28.04.2022
« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2019, 11:52:37 PM »
ATL you need to calm down mate.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2019, 12:03:44 AM »
ATL you need to calm down mate.

Yeah sorry, I'm out of control - bucket of ice needed for rephrasing what so many others have said about our manager and our left-back...

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #289 on: December 28, 2019, 12:31:52 AM »
Defending your players shouldn't mean talking out of your arse.

I suppose he should start slagging them off becasue that's what somebody on the internet thinks.
Is the alternative to slagging your players off just talking out of your arse?  Several stages in between I'd say. Saying Targett is potentially England material is daft because it could be said about any England player and because it's not even clear at the moment whether Targett is a half decent Villa player.

I'll bow to your superior experience on the subject of talking out of your arse.
I have a different view to you and Smith that's all.  No need to have a pop at me.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2019, 01:02:07 AM »

I suppose he should start slagging them off becasue that's what somebody on the internet thinks.
Is the alternative to slagging your players off just talking out of your arse?  Several stages in between I'd say. Saying Targett is potentially England material is daft because it could be said about any England player and because it's not even clear at the moment whether Targett is a half decent Villa player.

I'll bow to your superior experience on the subject of talking out of your arse.
I have a different view to you and Smith that's all.  No need to have a pop at me.

But it's perfectly alright for you to say someone's talking out of their arse.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2019, 01:02:12 AM »
I don't see anything all that controversial in saying that a guy with 22 England age group caps, many earned under the current england manager, could get senior caps if he works for it. That seems a pretty obvious challenge to him to find his form and put the work in for us.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #292 on: December 28, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »

But it's perfectly alright for you to say someone's talking out of their arse.
I could point to any number of posts on any thread on any day which express stronger opinions than mine.  Why single me out?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 06.07.2021
« Reply #293 on: December 28, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »

These are the comments  “ There is potentially an England left-back there but he has to go and push himself,” said the boss.

“Matt knows that and we have had regular conversations about it. His fitness was not where I wanted it at the start of pre-season. He was made aware of that and he agreed.

“He has worked really hard to get to where he is now but there is still a lot of work left for him to do.”

Targett, who was a member of the Saints academy from the age of eight, has undergone extra gym sessions in order to build up his physical strength.

Smith added: “He is getting stronger. Technically there are no questions. He is a very gifted footballer. Sometimes it is that other little bit of pushing him”

He’s talking about what he “could” achieve not saying he is currently at that position. Perhaps people have responded to the headline rather than the content.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #294 on: December 28, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
I haven't got a problem with anyone defending his players, or bigging them up, and some of what Smith says is fair enough.  But - in my opinion - the England bit is wildly OTT and, in the context of Targetts recent performances, bound to provoke a few snorts of derision. Just as it has on here.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #295 on: December 28, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
Targett gets some grief on here and much of it reasonable. He does get skinned regularly and seems to over-commit leaving the wingers up against him a free run into our box.

However, with the system we play he needs help. If he is expected to bomb forward then anyone else on his side needs to cover for him and this is often lacking. El Ghazi is particularly culpable.

Maybe  a 3 centre back system would work better if our full backs are pushing forward to guarantee that cover.

I'm not sure that Targett's failings are by any means solely down to him.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #296 on: December 28, 2019, 11:53:19 AM »
I'm reserving judgement on him.  But he needs to stop so many crosses coming into the box.  The amount of times a winger does him on the outside is concerning.  Same goes for the other full backs we have - even when the wingers are attempting to cover we look susceptible. 

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #297 on: December 28, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »
I haven't got a problem with anyone defending his players, or bigging them up, and some of what Smith says is fair enough.  But - in my opinion - the England bit is wildly OTT and, in the context of Targetts recent performances, bound to provoke a few snorts of derision. Just as it has on here.

Didn’t stop Geoff Thomas

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #298 on: December 28, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
Bought a dud.

He's crap in his main position and he's also a coward.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 09.04.2022
« Reply #299 on: December 28, 2019, 08:23:33 PM »
Like so many, he's not what you need when battling, scrapping and giving everything is required.

No doubt Taylor is a better defender, yes, he offers nothing at all going forward but we needed much better than Targett.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal