collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
July 03, 2021, 09:28:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1086 | Comments: 15

It would have been fitting if ...
June 23, 2021, 06:40:04 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 663 | Comments: 2

Having a total aversion to Sub...
June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 754 | Comments: 2

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 821 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1566 | Comments: 10

Itís forever been a myst...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matt Targett - signed  (Read 60072 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Matt Targett - signed
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »
I don't know anything about him but the Saints fan I work with reckons he has the right attitude but lacks the pace and physical presence required by Hassenhuttl (have  spelt that right?). And he was kept out of the first team by Bertrand. Don't shoot the messenger. 

More worried by the lack of physical presence bit than the lack of pace. As a full back if you've been told "your job is to stick to your position and defend" then you can get by without pace; if you're set up to play with proper wingers rather than wing-backs. All you need as a full-back in that scenario is good positioning and upper body strength. Being able to tackle is a strong bonus.

Without the strength, though, you might as well just not be there. Or be Neil Taylor.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 10.01.2021
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »
Welcome to the greatest football club in the World Matt!

Be brilliant.
Please.

Offline Ads

• GM : 04.04.2022
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
At £11 million for a PL fullback you're almost talking about a bargain in the current loony market.

Concerned about the lack of pace, but Stan Staunton would never have been mistaken for a sprinter. His good qualities (particularly in his first spell) negated the other issues, so hopefully this lad will do the same.

We can only hope. Unlike Staunton, he's had very little experience. We'll need to be patient as he's still work in progress. Let's hope Dean and our coaches can develop the player into a first rate full back, something that Ronald Koeman, Claude Puel, Mauricio Pellegrino, Mark Hughes and Ralph Hassenhutti failed to do.

Welcome Matt.

He was 18 when Poch left Southampton. Bit of a straw man argument.

Offline lukey27

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
Full back was a massive weakness for us last year. The fact we had no-one who could successfully overlap meant that we consistently had to play wingers. Having progressive full-backs gives any team much more flexibility and we have the option to play an extra central player now.

Reading Fulham forums, they consider losing their full backs from their promotion season Fredericks and Targett a massive reason why they failed last year.

Good luck to him, I think it makes perfect sense with where we are now. Young, can fit right in and is an upgrade on what we have.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2019, 03:02:11 PM »
At £11 million for a PL fullback you're almost talking about a bargain in the current loony market.

Concerned about the lack of pace, but Stan Staunton would never have been mistaken for a sprinter. His good qualities (particularly in his first spell) negated the other issues, so hopefully this lad will do the same.

We can only hope. Unlike Staunton, he's had very little experience. We'll need to be patient as he's still work in progress. Let's hope Dean and our coaches can develop the player into a first rate full back, something that Ronald Koeman, Claude Puel, Mauricio Pellegrino, Mark Hughes and Ralph Hassenhutti failed to do.

Welcome Matt.

Luke Shaw had made 25 first team appearances before his 18th birthday. Shaw is two months older than Matt.

Online manic-road

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »
Welcome to the Villa Matt, have a stonking career with us.

Offline LowerNorthStand

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
Welcome

Offline Percy McCarthy

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »

Welcome Matt.

Ah! I was wondering who the fuck Mauricio Pellegrino was.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 03:50:38 PM »

Offline Ads

• GM : 04.04.2022
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 04:00:02 PM »

Welcome Matt.

Luke Shaw had made 25 first team appearances before his 18th birthday. Shaw is two months older than Matt.

So to he clear, Poch couldn't get him to be a first rate full back at 18, so we're to infer that Smith will struggle to get anything out of the now 23 year old. Gotcha.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »

Welcome Matt.

I'm not really sure what relevance that has, Shaw is bigger and faster, at 18 that makes a massive difference. His lack of technical ability and positional sense (along with a couple of injuries) are why it took 4 seasons with united before he was trusted to play regularly. Targett is a very different type of player so judging their progress against each other under the age of 21-22 is pointless.

I don't know how Targett will get on but I wouldn't write him off because he wasn't playing under Poch when he was 18.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
From my saints supporting mate (pretty knowledgeable fan):

He is worth about 12million, never shown a defensive weakness but not necessarily a big strength either. But attacking is a strength, good crossed and lots of good running. Good team player too but all the players say he is intellectually challenged!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2021
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »

Welcome Matt.

So to he clear, Poch couldn't get him to be a first rate full back at 18, so we're to infer that Smith will struggle to get anything out of the now 23 year old. Gotcha.
I don't particularly agree with what Rudy is saying, but Southampton have had 5 managers since Poch, so your response doesn't really stack up either.

Offline Percy McCarthy

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2021
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »
Ah! I was wondering who the fuck Mauricio Pellegrino was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauricio_Pellegrino

Right. So why is Ads on about Poch? Iím confused.
I think we all are.  Unless a post has been edited somewhere?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal