collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* On Sale NOW

Recent Topics

March 05, 2021, 03:49:11 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 454 | Comments: 6

Any Wolverhampton supporter ob...
February 19, 2021, 02:28:51 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1376 | Comments: 17

September 13th, 1986...
February 17, 2021, 12:18:32 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 566 | Comments: 5

There’s certainly a number of ...
February 09, 2021, 10:15:27 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 883 | Comments: 3

This empty wish was a thread o...
February 03, 2021, 02:11:06 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1411 | Comments: 17

Nineteen games gone and we're ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matt Targett - signed  (Read 52595 times)

Offline hipkiss92

Re: Matt Targett - signed
« Reply #630 on: February 01, 2021, 10:36:14 AM »
Our most improved player this season and probably not far off in the league in general

I doubt there's a player in the PL that has improved so much in a season as Targett. He looked the biggest waste of money last season, a defender that couldn't defend. This season defending is his greatest asset, so focused and rarely beat or out of position. That has come at the expense of his attacking game where he's not getting forward as must as he used to but he still manages to get up there when the opportunity arises. Big difference is, now he can work both effectively.

Like Cash, he needs to work on his crossing. Too often he just just pumps it in the box without looking to see who is available. Do that and we'll have the best left back in the country. His ball to Jack in the lead up to the goal was poetry in motion, so perfectly measured Jack never had to break stride, just hit it first time. As fluid as it gets.

His two recent assists against Newcastle and Burnley suggest he's doing ok.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #631 on: February 01, 2021, 10:47:28 AM »
You're a generous man, hipkiss. Agree on the Ollie goal against Burnley - slide rule cross. Not sure he gets an assist for Newcastle, Schar set Ollie up perfectly for the header.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #632 on: February 01, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
Just looking at his stats and they have him on 1 assist. To take the Newcastle assist off him is harsh, but to take the Arsenal assist off him because it was an own goal is ridiculous.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/matt-targett/leistungsdaten/spieler/250478

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2021
« Reply #633 on: February 01, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »
His improvment defensively is incredible. 

I think attacking wise he really benefits from Jack, but he works really well around him marking darting runs and Jack has the ability to find him.  His crossing when he drives into the box is good, but his longer range crossing still needs work.

It's the first time in a long time I've been happy and confident in both our fullbacks, although I'm concerned teams are starting to tarhet Cash.

As for England, Trent is head and shoulders abouth Cash.  Targett may have a chance, particulalry if Chilwell starts struggling for game time.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #634 on: February 01, 2021, 12:02:17 PM »
His improvment defensively is incredible. 

I think attacking wise he really benefits from Jack, but he works really well around him marking darting runs and Jack has the ability to find him.  His crossing when he drives into the box is good, but his longer range crossing still needs work.

It's the first time in a long time I've been happy and confident in both our fullbacks, although I'm concerned teams are starting to tarhet Cash.

As for England, Trent is head and shoulders abouth Cash.  Targett may have a chance, particulalry if Chilwell starts struggling for game time.

There's also Reece James, Wan Bissaka, Trippier and Kyle Walker to still get past at right back. Targett has a much better chance as Saka is a forward for me.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #635 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:35 PM »

Matt Targett, from Villa fans’ punching bag to ‘f***ing brilliant’

There’s a crunch time in every player’s career, a period when they sink or swim, when they kick on and achieve their full potential, or peak and then spend the rest of their playing days wondering where it went wrong thereafter.

For Matt Targett, that make-or-break moment was during the 2020 lockdown. As part of the worst defence, statistically at least, in the Premier League, the Aston Villa left-back was often labelled the weakest link.

The perception at times was that he was fragile, both physically and mentally, as he drifted in and out of the team during the first half of 2019-20. Supporters poked fun at him on social media when had to be withdrawn in both games against Wolverhampton Wanderers through injury; the threat of jet-heeled Adama Traore supposedly too much for the full-back.

But football fan “banter” often goes too far. The individual criticism of Targett was harsh and unjustified. Players see such vitriol and have to rise above it, but when it comes from their own fanbase, it tends to cuts deep.

So to see the 25-year-old now at the other end — from the turnaround during Project Restart to this season’s transformation which reached new heights against his old club Southampton at the weekend — is not only pleasing, but a testament to his character.

If Targett was as soft as some suggested, he wouldn’t have been able to return as a stronger and more rounded individual who has become a big part of this battle-hardened Villa side.

Look at how he frustrated the life out of his old side on Saturday night by showing an unrelenting desire to stop them in their tracks, or how his perfectly-weighted pass allowed Jack Grealish to set up Ross Barkley for the match-winning goal.

What also went unnoticed last season was that when Targett was forced to watch from the sidelines, Villa’s results and performances were actually worse.

They picked up fewer points (an average of 0.7 per game compared to 1.0 when he did play) and also conceded more goals (2.1 per game compared to 1.6 when he played).

There was a similar trend at promotion-winning Fulham in 2017-2018. Before he arrived midway through the season on loan, Fulham’s win percentage stood at just 43 per cent, yet it increased to 72 per cent in games that he appeared in.

Still, to say that he didn’t need to improve on a rocky start to his time at Villa following a £14 million move from Southampton would be missing the point.

His side struggled to keep out goals before the first lockdown and Targett had to shoulder his share of the blame. Picked apart way too easily and vulnerable every time the opposition attacked, Villa were error-prone and porous. There was a realisation that things needed to change to avoid relegation.

Head coach Dean Smith set up video sessions for the group to review and critically analyse their shortcomings back in April and May 2020. Each player vowed to improve their own individual performance and take on board a new way of working. Targett spent time building up his body to become more durable. He’s noticeably tougher and more resilient. Crucially, he now also believes that he’s a valuable asset too.

Touching on his personal challenge in an interview with Villa TV recently, he said: “Last season, I don’t think I was consistent enough but this season I think I’ve grown in each game.”

There was also the mention of Adama, who he shut down to such effect in this season’s corresponding fixture that the winger lost his place in the starting XI in the matches thereafter.

“I love those challenges,” Targett added. “I just want to prove to everyone that I can handle players like that and put on a good performance.”

Where he is now, almost a year on from a time where his name was dragged through the mud among some sections of supporters, shows that the hard yards have paid off. Having started every league game, he deserves a share of the credit now that Villa have kept 10 clean sheets from 19 games, a huge improvement on last season.

The game on Saturday left many of those close to him with mixed emotions. Family members and friends follow Southampton, the club he was a part of from the age of eight. His father is a particularly big follower, but of course he supports his son over his club. Targett sure knew how to pick a game to produce one of his most resolute displays of the season.

Since moving to Villa, he has embraced the Birmingham life. Moving into a property close to the club’s training ground with his long-term girlfriend, he’s often shunned the opportunities to return home when they were presented, instead focusing on settling into the new surroundings.

Smith likes what he’s seeing from Targett now. While it was Jesus Garcia Pitarch, Villa’s former sporting director, who pushed hard to sign the defender, Smith has helped iron out some of the creases in his game.

“We as coaches can take great pride when looking at Matt Targett and the way he is playing,” the manager said. “The robustness he has got in his game and the strength. He’s more powerful now, he’s quicker. He’ll be the first to admit that he’s mentally stronger. He pushes himself a lot harder than he did when he first came into the club. I think we’ve got a very good footballer on our hands now.”

There’s a blossoming relationship with Grealish down the left-hand side that often throws up magic. It’s the way he has become so tough to break down that has made this season such a success, though. James Ward-Prowse, Theo Walcott, Nathan Redmond and Moussa Djenepo all failed to get the better of the left-back, the latter so vexed by the end that he started jumping and flapping his arms in rage.

To think, his wholehearted performance was also produced while walking a suspension tightrope. One more booking would have resulted in a one-game suspension at a time when he would be sorely missed. Fortunately, the threshold for a ban now moves up to 10 bookings so, injury-permitting, Targett will continue to feature heavily in the weeks ahead.

Maybe the most telling difference is the reaction from those alongside him on the pitch. The words from all angles are of encouragement rather than direction.

In one passage of play at St Mary’s, Targett first refused to let Walcott past, then raced up the other end to put in a teasing delivery like the one that set up Ollie Watkins for the opener at Burnley last week. “Tigs, that was fucking brilliant,” roared Tyrone Mings in response.

It’s clear that he’s a valued member of this side now and a big part of the way Villa want to play in the future. No doubt the club will look to renegotiate his contract in the summer as he enters into the final two years of his current deal. Back-up left-back Neil Taylor is coming to the end of his deal and there are no suggestions that he will be offered an extension at this stage.

The full-back areas will need to be addressed in the months ahead as on the right side of defence, Ahmed Elmohamady is also out of contract in June and Frederic Guilbert is heading back to France with Strasbourg on loan this month.

For now, though, Villa have got a good thing going on at the back and Targett is a big part of it.

Source - https://theathletic.com/2356048/2021/02/01/matt-targett-from-villa-fans-punching-bag-to-fing-brilliant/?source=dailyemail

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2021
« Reply #636 on: February 01, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »
Well earned praise indeed.  He has been brilliant, he pops up all over the place and is as good a left back as I've seen in the Premier Division this season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #637 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »
I think his massive improvement has also helped Jack no end this season.  You rarely see Jack getting back to pick up the ball in our own half these days, because he just doesn't have to.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #638 on: February 01, 2021, 09:01:38 PM »
The quality and the confidence he had for the ball he played to Jack for the goal at the weekend is indicative of the form he is showing now.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2021, 09:03:55 PM »
He’s been exceptional - a complete left back.

Online danno

« Reply #640 on: February 01, 2021, 09:15:33 PM »
He's improved and must take a lot of credit for that.

I also think having a forward that can stretch defences and be a threat in behind has helped him massively too.

I'm sure teams defended higher up the pitch against us last season, because we had very little pace in the side and couldn't keep hold of the ball.

E.g, against West Ham last season our front three was El Ghazi Wesley and Jota.
With a midfield three of McGinn Grealish and Nakamba.

Online Ian.

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #641 on: March 01, 2021, 11:13:00 AM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #642 on: March 01, 2021, 11:22:57 AM »
He's up there a tiny bit after Jack and Martinez as one of our three best players.

Online Ian.

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #643 on: March 01, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
He’s been incredible. I actually always liked him as an attacking outlet and his link up play  with Jack has always been great. I thought he was a bit unfairly criticised at times but I did think he was a bit lightweight with his defensive duties. This season though he’s as hard as nails, his reading of the game is superb and some of his last minute tackles and interceptions have stopped any attack going past him.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2021
« Reply #644 on: March 01, 2021, 07:26:38 PM »
He's up there a tiny bit after Jack and Martinez as one of our three best players.

I agree.  He's so much more solid than he was last season.  Southgate could do a lot worse..........

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal