collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shrews away: Match Thread  (Read 25696 times)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Shrews away: Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2019, 10:50:00 PM »
No keeper besides Steer today?

Perhaps goalkeepers need more than 45 minutes to be assessed. They’re not out there or involved until the play comes their way.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
Had the great pleasure of briefly meeting Border Villain and Sadd Villain this evening when they turned up at my local post-match.

We agreed that Wesley looks a real talent and that Hogan is shit and needs shipped out asap.

See you again soon, I hope. UTV.

Rodders
Rodders, the pleasure was all yours😉
Great to see a fellow fan at Ratchap. We walk the dog and visit the Bridges from time to time and live in ‘anud.
Sadd Villan is on tour from the hate grim north.

The north? Not... Wem...?!

I recognised your distinctive number plate from round and about the place - had always wondered who owned it and now I know! It's rather a good one; I'd always thought that Doug had bought a holiday home nearby :)

Happy to buy you a drink or five when you're next in my hood - pm me so I can ensure my escape, cough, attendance of the Ratchup Lions Chapter.

UTV.

Rodders

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2019, 11:44:58 PM »
Highlight was Jota, looked comfortable on the ball and oozed real quality, so much that I overheard a young Shrew ask his Villa supporting old man if he had arrived from Barcelona.

The step up to the PL will be a bit of a shock to the system for some of the players, I feel more quality is required in midfield and attack plus a well established GK.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2019, 05:12:59 AM »
Smith would not have learned anything  new from yesterday. 

Mings inspired signing, Taylor not good enough, Holding  midfield role up for grabs.  Goalkeeper need one ready for the premiership.

All this quicker distribution from Jack a load of tosh - he would have an instant answer with El Ghazi and would link better with SJM.

Good day out though.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:17:11 AM by wittonwarrior »

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2019, 06:57:11 AM »
A few thoughts on yesterday. Jota and Gilbert looked quite good in the first half and everything seemed to go though Grealish who looked up for it. Second half, I was quite impressed by RHM who looked sharp, Hogan looked ok once he'd got his goal and Big Wes reminded me of Crouch.

A pleasant day all round.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2019, 08:55:47 AM »
If you missed the goal

https://twitter.com/avfcofficial/status/1152948409415938048?s=12
Nice ball through, but a Prem quality keeper probably would’ve come out and hoofed that before SH got anywhere near it.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2019, 08:57:05 AM »
Jack Woodward just hasn’t shut up.
Dead air is a crime!

Offline jwarry

« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
Didn’t get chance to watch it all but has Dean opted for his favoured 4-3-3 now? It looked like it from the bits I saw. If so it just shows how he managed to make a silk purse out of a sows ear last year with a system he doesn’t even like! Now we have 2 attacking full backs I guess we can expect our wingers to be more in field playing with Jack just like Jota did yesterday

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »
If you look at the player profiles on the o/s, admittedly they're currently blank, but they only categorize GK, Defence, mid-field and striker!
There are no forwards! you're either mid-field or a striker.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »
Reflecting on yesterday. Big Wes looked the part. Scott Hogan, despite scoring, is not good enough and needs to go. Andre Green was largely missing in action and Kiean Davies, for all his endeavour, lacks quality. Davies and Green need a loan period as a make or break. RHM looked OK wide on the left, but again needs a loan to see if he can build on this promise and more importantly stay fit.
Chester going off is a worry.
In goal from having 5 keepers at the end of the season we now have a situation where Steer had to play both halves, so at least one new keeper is needed.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
Jack Woodward just hasn’t shut up.
Dead air is a crime!

I know but bloody hell listening to him makes me thing we will win the league  ;)

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2019, 12:41:01 PM »
Didn’t get chance to watch it all but has Dean opted for his favoured 4-3-3 now? It looked like it from the bits I saw. If so it just shows how he managed to make a silk purse out of a sows ear last year with a system he doesn’t even like! Now we have 2 attacking full backs I guess we can expect our wingers to be more in field playing with Jack just like Jota did yesterday

We played 4-3-3 last year too?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2019, 12:44:21 PM »
Bloody hell....it’s Soft Cell

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
The earlier comment about Jack needing to move the ball more quickly: absolutely agree with that.  He got away with it in the 2nd tier but will get caught out in the Premier League. Speed of thought and action is imperative for all our players.

I used to think this about Jack too, but after last season I've started to think he's just that good that he can play like that.

The Rotheram and Blues goals are examples of times when I've felt he's held on to the ball way too long in the build up and the finishes it off. I've no doubt it'll be harder in the Prem but I think if he knows he's got the beating of someone he's confident enough to hold it for that bit longer. I think it sets a tone too.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #224 on: July 22, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »
No keeper besides Steer today?

Perhaps goalkeepers need more than 45 minutes to be assessed. They’re not out there or involved until the play comes their way.

No point in playing them more like. I'd have thought there's almost no chance either of them will play a minute in the league next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal