collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:00:06 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[April 24, 2024, 10:20:26 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reserves, Academy and Women 2019-20  (Read 58938 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Reserves, Academy and Women 2019-20
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
Seems like the women are really going for it, on and off the pitch. Hope they can finish the job and get promoted.

In the global scheme of things it's a minor development, but with her being such a "name" figure in women's football I see this as a real statement of intent from the club, and another albeit small sign that we now have serious owners.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2020, 05:47:41 PM »
Even the Villa women can't win a friggin FA Cup game!  Lost 3-2 at home to Brighton.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2020, 10:59:41 PM »
Ladies lost 3:2 at home to Brighton, very poor in the first half and conceded three preventable goals and looked clearly second best

Second half was much improved and very unlucky to not grab something

Dean and O’Kelly both there and very good with photo and autograph hunters

Brighton’s Swedish international full back caught the eye.....

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
Under 23`s lost 0-4 at the mighty Doncaster Rovers on Wednesday - how shit must we be?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2020, 07:13:02 PM »
You can get under-23 updates on Fotmob, now. Might not bother, judging by the above.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »
Under 23`s lost 0-4 at the mighty Doncaster Rovers on Wednesday - how shit must we be?

U23 in name only - side is normally average 18/19 yrs old.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
Ramsey has gone to Doncaster on loan.

« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »

yes, I thought as much after posting it - that said I'd like to think we could put out a team to give Doncaster a run for their money ....can't be great for development if they can't compete - you wouldn't play 12/13 year olds against 16/17 year olds - probably a bad analogy but you know what I mean ;)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2020, 09:44:11 PM »

yes, I thought as much after posting it - that said I'd like to think we could put out a team to give Doncaster a run for their money ....can't be great for development if they can't compete - you wouldn't play 12/13 year olds against 16/17 year olds - probably a bad analogy but you know what I mean ;)

That's the problem now - once you're out of under-18s football there's not a lot of chances for game time unelss you're out on loan.

« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2020, 09:58:23 PM »

That's the problem now - once you're out of under-18s football there's not a lot of chances for game time unelss you're out on loan.
Good point Dave - unfortunately they don't always get game there .... there is no incentive for the club loaning the player to develop them which is a shame for the player ..so it is a "rock and a hard place scenario"
Must be unsettling for an individual .......imagine working for a company in Birmingham and then being told you are going to work for another company in Rochdale " to gain work experience"

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2020, 10:01:12 PM »

Good point Dave - unfortunately they don't always get game there .... there is no incentive for the club loaning the player to develop them which is a shame for the player ..so it is a "rock and a hard place scenario"
Must be unsettling for an individual .......imagine working for a company in Birmingham and then being told you are going to work for another company in Rochdale " to gain work experience"

A manager once said that if you do take a player on loan you feel obliged to play them regularly, otherwise their parent club won't be so willing to do future deals.

« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »

A manager once said that if you do take a player on loan you feel obliged to play them regularly, otherwise their parent club won't be so willing to do future deals.
I guess that's why the likes of Klopp insist on their players getting game time and it written into the loan agreement

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »

I guess that's why the likes of Klopp insist on their players getting game time and it written into the loan agreement

I'm not even sure it's written into the agreements; it's more of a a mutual benefit thing but I could be wrong.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2020, 10:15:33 PM »

Yes, we don't appear to be so stringent about enforcing game time.

However, it's been noticeable that our recent loanees to lower league clubs don't start very regularly. This is perhaps indicative of a worrying standard over the past couple of seasons.

Losing 4-0 to Exeter and Doncaster, irrespective of the age range, would also appear to highlight a lack of quality coming through.

« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2020, 10:29:48 PM »

Yes, we don't appear to be so stringent about enforcing game time.

However, it's been noticeable that our recent loanees to lower league clubs don't start very regularly. This is perhaps indicative of a worrying standard over the past couple of seasons.

Losing 4-0 to Exeter and Doncaster, irrespective of the age range, would also appear to highlight a lack of quality coming through.
Not sure about the strength of junior football in Birmingham as I havnt lived there for over 25 years - but up here on Merseyside (where I gained my FA coaching badges for Junior and Disabled football) I have seen a marked decline in the numbers and quality of youngsters coming into  the game - clubs I have been associated are running fewer teams - this is a passionate football city but there is a distinct downturn in youngsters coming to clubs - probably due to kids preferring to play games in their bedrooms rather than get muddy on a football pitch - overbearing parents and coaches don't help either
I no longer coach ( gave up when VCTM discovered birds and booze :)) but watch Saturday morning football whilst out walking the dog - the standard is really quite poor - due in the main to poorly trained club managers/ coaches c`est la vie

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal