collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
April 09, 2021, 07:47:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 692 | Comments: 14

1967: Preston North End and...
April 03, 2021, 09:55:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1506 | Comments: 27

“Mental pain is...
April 01, 2021, 01:09:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 266 | Comments: 0

In the fifties it used to be t...
March 30, 2021, 12:00:59 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 451 | Comments: 5

Over the years, Villa Park has...
March 26, 2021, 01:56:48 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 577 | Comments: 9

On the principle that if you c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 204748 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #2175 on: February 26, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »
Back in full training.

Not back in full training, two weeks away from that.

Online Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2021
« Reply #2176 on: February 26, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »
Contact training next week. Presumably if it snot full training they give him a tickle and a prod first?

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #2177 on: February 26, 2021, 01:54:54 PM »
Contact training next week. Presumably if it snot full training they give him a tickle and a prod first?

This is Dean's direct quote:

"Wesley is getting closer to a full return to contact training, which should happen in the next week or two."

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2178 on: February 26, 2021, 02:09:38 PM »
And there are plenty now playing very well who a lot thought were shit this last year!

I think only Matt Targett fulfils that criteria at the moment.

Konsa? I remember seeing comments about him being a waste of money for a 4th choice centre half.
Hardly at the levels of criticism that Wes got in volume or veracity.

but that wasn't really the point, I can't even remember if the worst criticism of him was even on here but the point stands that there have been a number of players who were 'shit' and have now shown that they're either a lot better than that (Konsa, Targett) or that they have value in the squad (Nakamba, Trez, Hause) or that they have a lot of quality but aren't currently in such good form (Luiz). There are some signings where the jury is still out, and Wes is one of those.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 10.10.2021
« Reply #2179 on: February 26, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »

"Wesley is getting closer to a full return to contact training, which should happen in the next week or two."
Didn't Dean say some weeks ago that he had started contact training?

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 09.04.2022
« Reply #2180 on: February 26, 2021, 03:41:54 PM »
He absolutely bossed the away game at Norwich, and really seemed to thrive off the away fans that day – every tackle, block, rolling of his marker was roared on. He seems like a confidence player, so hopefully he can build that back up on the pitch.

One of the things he's probably missed out on during lockdown is the coaching staff sitting down to assess his performance. There was a noticeable difference in our play after project restart, and it really seemed like a lot of the first team appreciated the honest appraisals and the chance to put things right. The likes of Targett, Mings, Trezeguet really kicked on in those games. I'm sure now he's back on the training ground, big Wes will get that closer support from the coaching staff.

I’m sure the week before, Dean had given him a bit of a public bollocking. Norwich away was probably his best game in a Villa shirt. His hold up play was excellent, he was strong, and he got two goals. It showed what he was capable of.

Like many have said, to return after such a long time out is going to be a big ask. Fingers crossed...

Online paul_e

« Reply #2181 on: February 26, 2021, 04:45:19 PM »

Didn't Dean say some weeks ago that he had started contact training?

I think the last big update he gave was that he'd started training on grass and that was late January.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #2182 on: February 26, 2021, 08:40:11 PM »
And there are plenty now playing very well who a lot thought were shit this last year!

I think only Matt Targett fulfils that criteria at the moment.

Konsa? I remember seeing comments about him being a waste of money for a 4th choice centre half.
Hardly at the levels of criticism that Wes got in volume or veracity.

but that wasn't really the point, I can't even remember if the worst criticism of him was even on here but the point stands that there have been a number of players who were 'shit' and have now shown that they're either a lot better than that (Konsa, Targett) or that they have value in the squad (Nakamba, Trez, Hause) or that they have a lot of quality but aren't currently in such good form (Luiz). There are some signings where the jury is still out, and Wes is one of those.
if you say so

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #2183 on: February 26, 2021, 11:55:11 PM »
Lucas Joao as a replacement is my favourite part of that post.

He was the best player on the pitch when we played Wednesday in 2018. If it wasn't for a masterclass by Johnstone he would have scored a hat-trick.

Do you have any striker suggestions seeing as you've turned your nose up at a 6'3 in-form player with 20 goals in 25 apps and 5 assists?

Online paul_e

« Reply #2184 on: February 27, 2021, 12:20:31 AM »

He was the best player on the pitch when we played Wednesday in 2018. If it wasn't for a masterclass by Johnstone he would have scored a hat-trick.

Do you have any striker suggestions seeing as you've turned your nose up at a 6'3 in-form player with 20 goals in 25 apps and 5 assists?

Just sticking to that league Ivan Toney is a far better player.

Even looking in the same team Olise is a better prospect and would add significantly more to the squad than Joao.

Aside from that Joao will be 28 a few games into next season and has managed to get double figures twice in his career which has been almost entirely in far lower standard leagues than we're in. The reasoning you give for looking at him is almost identical to the stuff people were saying about Gestede before he signed and I doubt Joao would look any less lost in what we hope will be a chase for a European spot.

My actual choice though, if it were needed would be Amine Gouiri, Donyell Malan or Marcus Thuram. The latter hasn't had a great season this year but I like him, the other 2 are the best young strikers in Europe that might be available for a club outside the champions league, in my opinion. All of them would be smashing our transfer record though and I think that's the market we need to be looking at. At a push Gouiri would be my 1st choice.  All 3 are different players but they all commit defenders and I like attackers that do that because that's how you force mistakes.

Online SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2185 on: February 27, 2021, 12:21:55 AM »

Before this season, in five years in the Championship he'd managed 38 goals in 159 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn and Reading.  Joao's having a good season but if we do end up replacing Wes, I hope we'd be looking at better than a 27 year old with a 1 in 4 goal record in the Championship who has had one prolific season in his career.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #2186 on: February 27, 2021, 01:04:45 AM »

Just sticking to that league Ivan Toney is a far better player.

Even looking in the same team Olise is a better prospect and would add significantly more to the squad than Joao.

Aside from that Joao will be 28 a few games into next season and has managed to get double figures twice in his career which has been almost entirely in far lower standard leagues than we're in. The reasoning you give for looking at him is almost identical to the stuff people were saying about Gestede before he signed and I doubt Joao would look any less lost in what we hope will be a chase for a European spot.

My actual choice though, if it were needed would be Amine Gouiri, Donyell Malan or Marcus Thuram. The latter hasn't had a great season this year but I like him, the other 2 are the best young strikers in Europe that might be available for a club outside the champions league, in my opinion. All of them would be smashing our transfer record though and I think that's the market we need to be looking at. At a push Gouiri would be my 1st choice.  All 3 are different players but they all commit defenders and I like attackers that do that because that's how you force mistakes.

We aren't going to buy Brentford's top scorer in consecutive summer windows. Olise isn't a striker, so he's irrelevant to the conversation and Marcus "The Spitter" Thuram has played more on the left wing than as a striker.

Malen is a cracking suggestion though, but like Patson Daka being my 1st choice and Amine Gouiri being yours the reality is we're going to finish between 10th - 15th and we've got no chance of attracting that sort of quality.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2187 on: February 27, 2021, 02:12:36 PM »
Just reading up about those players, Gouiri and Thuram do seem to be more left forwards. Malen has the best stats but he's been linked with a £50m move to Barcelona. That sort of signing would be some coup and would make one hell of a statement by the owners and the club.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2188 on: February 27, 2021, 02:36:33 PM »
Just reading up about those players, Gouiri and Thuram do seem to be more left forwards. Malen has the best stats but he's been linked with a £50m move to Barcelona. That sort of signing would be some coup and would make one hell of a statement by the owners and the club.

My idea with those 2 is that the formation I'd really like us to play is with the wider players being outright forwards and the central player being slightly withdrawn. Ollie/Bertie/{Gouiri/Thuram} as wide forwards and Jack pulling the strings in behind as a sort of shadow striker. All of them would still be versatile enough to change things during a game as well so we'd be very hard to setup against if they were given the freedom to work things out as they liked. I've said many times I don't think we need a traditional 9 because I like the more modern attacking players who can play all across the front.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2189 on: February 28, 2021, 12:31:47 PM »
That's ok as long as the wide forwards are prepared to track back otherwise the fullbacks will be exposed. It worked well for Liverpool last year though. Firmino doesn't get the credit he deserves for the job he does in that withdrawn number 9 role.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal