collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread by nick harper
[Today at 10:51:42 AM]

Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours. by brontebilly
[Today at 10:48:28 AM]

Matty Cash - signed by brontebilly
[Today at 10:46:32 AM]

Dean Smith - Confirmed by Baldy
[Today at 10:45:01 AM]

Bertrand Traore - Signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 10:38:00 AM]

I hate Maths by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:28:09 AM]

Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England) by Risso
[Today at 10:27:49 AM]

John McGinn - signed by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:24:24 AM]

April 09, 2021, 07:47:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 436 | Comments: 7

1967: Preston North End and...
April 03, 2021, 09:55:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1268 | Comments: 25

ďMental pain is...
April 01, 2021, 01:09:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 242 | Comments: 0

In the fifties it used to be t...
March 30, 2021, 12:00:59 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 408 | Comments: 5

Over the years, Villa Park has...
March 26, 2021, 01:56:48 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 521 | Comments: 9

On the principle that if you c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 203931 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 13.02.2022
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #2145 on: February 24, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
I'm one of the H&Vers who has been prepared to give Wesley the time to prove himself - I think we saw glimpses (only glimpses) of real talent last season from a player that was clearly going to need a full season to adapt to the Premier League. He can finish and he reads the game well. If this extended period means he comes back fitter and more acclimatised, he will link well with Watkins and Traore, possibly from #10 position. Alternatively, he offers something off the bench when opponents are tiring.
I'm interested to see his return. Maybe the empty stadia will help him as well.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #2146 on: February 24, 2021, 06:49:12 PM »
What a I really want to see is him attacking the football. Especially in the air. He's a big bloke but he never has given me the impression he would knock a CB over to get to the ball. John Carew or Benteke, or going back to Peter Withe or Andy Gray had no regard for the opposing defender when the ball was there to be won. I want to see more of that from Wesley. He has the ability to hold up the ball and bring others into the game and he's show ability in and around the 6 yard box but we need to see a lot more from him once he comes back.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #2147 on: February 24, 2021, 06:54:46 PM »
Wesley didn't play as an out and out striker for his previous club did he?

Offline exigo

« Reply #2148 on: February 24, 2021, 07:06:41 PM »
He absolutely bossed the away game at Norwich, and really seemed to thrive off the away fans that day Ė every tackle, block, rolling of his marker was roared on. He seems like a confidence player, so hopefully he can build that back up on the pitch.

One of the things he's probably missed out on during lockdown is the coaching staff sitting down to assess his performance. There was a noticeable difference in our play after project restart, and it really seemed like a lot of the first team appreciated the honest appraisals and the chance to put things right. The likes of Targett, Mings, Trezeguet really kicked on in those games. I'm sure now he's back on the training ground, big Wes will get that closer support from the coaching staff.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2149 on: February 24, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »
He absolutely bossed the away game at Norwich, and really seemed to thrive off the away fans that day Ė every tackle, block, rolling of his marker was roared on. He seems like a confidence player, so hopefully he can build that back up on the pitch.

One of the things he's probably missed out on during lockdown is the coaching staff sitting down to assess his performance. There was a noticeable difference in our play after project restart, and it really seemed like a lot of the first team appreciated the honest appraisals and the chance to put things right. The likes of Targett, Mings, Trezeguet really kicked on in those games. I'm sure now he's back on the training ground, big Wes will get that closer support from the coaching staff.

Hopefully they've done that as part of his rehab and will do it all through his return to training. For the first time in a long while I trust the coaching team to see problems and have the ability to address them, maybe not overnight or mid game but over longer timescales there's plenty of evidence backing them up as being good at what they do.

Offline Ads

• GM : 04.04.2022
« Reply #2150 on: February 24, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »
Is he back next month?

Offline achilles

« Reply #2151 on: February 25, 2021, 10:30:18 AM »
He has a basic problem for a centre forward in that he can't head a ball!

Offline Ian.

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #2152 on: February 25, 2021, 11:04:43 AM »
A lot of our game is on the deck now, we very rarely punt it high so I donít see any issues with Wes not being the best in the air. He was great with his feet, holding the ball and linking play so he could now be a better fit.

Online richtheholtender

« Reply #2153 on: February 25, 2021, 11:17:01 AM »

I canít remember the game last season but there was a ball played over the top for him to run on to and it hit him on the back of the head. So he does..... just not when heís heading the ball in the net.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2021
« Reply #2154 on: February 25, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »
I have a positive feeling about him and Watkins having a great relationship. Get Traore and Grealish feeding the pair (and Barkley not being around) and it could work really well.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2155 on: February 25, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
A lot of our game is on the deck now, we very rarely punt it high so I donít see any issues with Wes not being the best in the air. He was great with his feet, holding the ball and linking play so he could now be a better fit.

Except when Mings goes long.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #2156 on: February 25, 2021, 12:55:50 PM »
Nor can Barkley; didn't stop him heading the goal at Sourhampton.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #2157 on: February 25, 2021, 12:57:58 PM »

Except when Mings goes long.
Which is very rare now.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2021
« Reply #2158 on: February 25, 2021, 03:11:43 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with this.  My recollection was the ball seemed to mostly bounce miles off him and was often an easy pick up for a defender.  I don't recall him ever really trapping it on a sixpence like Watkins is capable of.  It was once of the big frustrations with him, a bloke of his size and he couldn't head the ball or hold it up.  Hopefully he'll improve.   

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2159 on: February 25, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with this.  My recollection was the ball seemed to mostly bounce miles off him and was often an easy pick up for a defender.  I don't recall him ever really trapping it on a sixpence like Watkins is capable of.  It was once of the big frustrations with him, a bloke of his size and he couldn't head the ball or hold it up.  Hopefully he'll improve.   

You should probably go back and rewatch some of those games. There were plenty of times where he held up play and did his job but was let down by no one getting near to him. Yes there were some heavy touches but far more common was him just running out of time because our midfield was too deep and he was on his own against 2-3 players. On top of that he tried to play a lot of 1 touch layoffs but the understanding between him and people like Trez just wasn't there so they'd make a different run and it would look like he'd passed to nowhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal