collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 142646 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1905 on: January 02, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
The initial tackle was ok but as soon you scissor round with your trailing leg you risk pinning the players ankle under you and injuring them. Doesn't look as bad as studs into the shin but causes far more injuries. Look at the picture, if you tackle someone and end up in that position then you've got the technique all wrong, sadly the current guidelines for refs mean these tackles go unpunished.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1906 on: January 03, 2020, 12:40:49 AM »
Yes saw it again earlier. I donít think itís as bad as is being made out.

It's worse than I ever imagined. Paul e sums it up but the photo I saw demonstrated the lack of mobility for the leg. Basically, you're fucked.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1907 on: January 03, 2020, 06:49:35 AM »
Fk our luck eh?

Online Villafirst

« Reply #1908 on: January 03, 2020, 07:36:31 AM »
The lack of striker cover has really been brought home now. Fans and pundits alike have consistently stated that Villa are light in numbers up top. Kodjia (broken cheekbone) Davis (Hamstring) have missed several weeks already, and now Wesley with a severe injury. The club is now in the position of having to gamble to avoid relegation but at the same time risking punishment with FFP.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #1909 on: January 03, 2020, 08:11:22 AM »
Cant jota play up front? Didnt smith use him as a striker for brentford?

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #1910 on: January 03, 2020, 08:13:26 AM »

Assume thatís a joke 😂. Think weíve safely seen that Jota isnít anywhere near good enough at this level

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #1911 on: January 03, 2020, 08:23:41 AM »
The initial tackle was ok but as soon you scissor round with your trailing leg you risk pinning the players ankle under you and injuring them. Doesn't look as bad as studs into the shin but causes far more injuries. Look at the picture, if you tackle someone and end up in that position then you've got the technique all wrong, sadly the current guidelines for refs mean these tackles go unpunished.

Sorry, but this is wrong.

The Laws of the Game have been clear for some time (Law 12).

It is irrelevant whether you harm the opponent or not, it is about intent. It is also irrelevant if you "get the ball first". From the FA website, just the directly relevant bit cut and pasted below:

* Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
* Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
* Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

The tackle from Mee was both reckless and with excessive force. A key element being that they are not travelling in the same direction, i.e. in from the side. Hence the intended collision is evidently reckless as given the (excessive) force it will mean a problem for Wesley as it causes an unnatural flex of joints (hence more serious than a straight impact injury).

I can't remember when precisely the Law was changed but it was clearly and thoroughly briefed through all levels of the game - both adult and youth football (I still play and also coach). UTV

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1912 on: January 03, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »

Assume thatís a joke 😂. Think weíve safely seen that Jota isnít anywhere near good enough at this level

He did play behind the striker at Brentford I think.

Offline Nelly

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #1913 on: January 03, 2020, 09:17:26 AM »
Jota might be decent in a number 10/support striker role. I don't think he has the pace for the wings where we have used him so far, but he's clearly an intelligent player - tends to pass it well, finds pockets, etc. I don't think we have anyone else like that.

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2021
« Reply #1914 on: January 03, 2020, 09:47:21 AM »
Official

Out for rest of season with significant knee damage

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1915 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
In keeping with just about every season for the past decade.

Doubt many clubs make as many human sacrifices as we seem to do.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1916 on: January 03, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
Just seen the news I stated has been confirmed by the club now. Weíre so so unlucky. Huge month ahead.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #1917 on: January 03, 2020, 10:21:12 AM »
Horrible news and now weíll not know with the Burnley performance and formation could have been his catalyst. Depends on which camp you were in I suppose. Either way though we were always looking for a more dynamic centre forward in January.  We couldnít carry on with Wes.

If we can get that someone in and get Davis fit (any news on that) itíll almost be as you were. Really is desperate news for Wes though.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #1918 on: January 03, 2020, 11:24:09 AM »
Wish him well obviously, hopefully there aren't further complications with regards to his differing leg lengths....

Takes the pressure off him now, but bloody hell it increases it on us to find a replacement.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #1919 on: January 03, 2020, 12:29:01 PM »
Still struggle to see that Wesley was a liability based on his first 22 games.

Yes we needed another option in this window (now need to get two strikers) but with 6 goals in his first 22 games, that is probably 'par' for me.

That would mean 10 league goals for the season and I think many on here were saying with the goals from midfield if we can get 10+ from a new striker then that would be OK/decent.

Certainly he has more goals than many other PL strikers that are either established or recruited at much greater cost. I've not checked, but I imagine it is a reasonably favourable comparison with the starts by JPA, Carew and others rated as successes (and that benefitted from joining a more settled team/squad).

Anyway, wishing him a full and speedy recovery. UTV.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal