collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* *  Out Soon  * *  

February 19, 2021, 02:28:51 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1281 | Comments: 16

September 13th, 1986...
February 17, 2021, 12:18:32 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 464 | Comments: 2

There’s certainly a number of ...
February 09, 2021, 10:15:27 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 861 | Comments: 3

This empty wish was a thread o...
February 03, 2021, 02:11:06 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1380 | Comments: 17

Nineteen games gone and we're ...
February 02, 2021, 06:53:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 488 | Comments: 0

In normal times, either at Vil...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 192725 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #2115 on: February 12, 2021, 10:33:01 PM »
Then again we just have KD a new contract FFS.

Agreed, utter madness. Might as well have just had a bonfire on the North Stand car park and piled suitacses full of tenners onto it.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2116 on: February 12, 2021, 11:05:29 PM »

He was very raw so I understand why people were critical of him but I think given the same 'homework' during lockdown that the others received I suspect he'd be pushing Ollie all the way over who starts games by now.

There's no way of proving that either way, but I reckon Wesley was a Suso signing, and at best he'd be to Watkins what Heaton is to Martinez, ie there on the bench but not playing a single minute.

You can make an argument that with the exception of January, which was done with a bit of desperation and tied to FFP, overall the signings Suso was involved haven't turned out too badly after a year of adjustment.

True TV, but many of them were a risk at the time which could have seen us relegated, so it probably wasn't a great policy overall.  That said, I don't think we had much choice at the time given the number of squad places we had to fill.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
« Reply #2117 on: February 13, 2021, 12:07:39 AM »

Agreed, utter madness. Might as well have just had a bonfire on the North Stand car park and piled suitacses full of tenners onto it.

I know he hasn't been prolific but he has talent. Think played up front with the right striker he could be great. Reminds me of Heskey when he was good, holds the ball up and brings better players into the game.

Sadly nobody plays like that anymore and he can't add much as a lone striker. That said, I think we will end up selling him on for 2-3m so the new contract wont cost us much in the long run.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #2118 on: February 13, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »
I know he hasn't been prolific but he has talent. Think played up front with the right striker he could be great. Reminds me of Heskey when he was good, holds the ball up and brings better players into the game.
Sadly nobody plays like that anymore and he can't add much as a lone striker. That said, I think we will end up selling him on for 2-3m so the new contract wont cost us much in the long run.
I think you've summed our Keinan up perfectly, Ashton.
Given that we have given him a contract, I do find it strange that he has not been given a start - with Watkins out wide - to see whether he really can contribute.
Unless he has a Damascan-type change or Dean shifts our tactical set-up, he's not adding very much.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2119 on: February 13, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »
Clubs with ambitions of getting into europe shouldn't really have strikers like Kienan Davis as they're only other striker option.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2120 on: February 13, 2021, 10:30:03 AM »
I think you've summed our Keinan up perfectly, Ashton.
Given that we have given him a contract, I do find it strange that he has not been given a start - with Watkins out wide - to see whether he really can contribute.
Unless he has a Damascan-type change or Dean shifts our tactical set-up, he's not adding very much.

How it strange? Watkins is banging them in up front by himself, and out wide we have the best player in the league in Jack on one side, and the mercurial Traore on the other. Why would we substantially weaken that by putting our top scorer out wide, and bringing in the non-scoring Davis into the middle?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:33:39 AM by Risso »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #2121 on: February 13, 2021, 02:04:20 PM »

Heskey “when he was good” was an excellent player who was quick, strong, scored goals. Could play wide or up front as a lone striker or in a pair. Pretty much the opposite of Keinan Davis.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #2122 on: February 13, 2021, 02:17:33 PM »
How it strange? Watkins is banging them in up front by himself, and out wide we have the best player in the league in Jack on one side, and the mercurial Traore on the other. Why would we substantially weaken that by putting our top scorer out wide, and bringing in the non-scoring Davis into the middle?
. Oh, I agree about Watkins and others. My point was simply: if the club is going to keep Davis (giving him a new contract is evidence that this might be their intention), give the kid a chance to play himself into the game. Otherwise, you might as well get rid. He's no good at the moment, with so little game time.
An example of what I mean is that at Burnley Smith brought him on for 5 minutes at the end: what is the point if that?!
And, to declare my position: I was a fan of Davis in his early days, but I think injuries and lack of goals means he is a busted flush.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2123 on: February 13, 2021, 03:14:12 PM »
. Oh, I agree about Watkins and others. My point was simply: if the club is going to keep Davis (giving him a new contract is evidence that this might be their intention), give the kid a chance to play himself into the game. Otherwise, you might as well get rid. He's no good at the moment, with so little game time.
An example of what I mean is that at Burnley Smith brought him on for 5 minutes at the end: what is the point if that?!
And, to declare my position: I was a fan of Davis in his early days, but I think injuries and lack of goals means he is a busted flush.

I agree entirely then. I just don't understand why he was given such a long extension, but given the fact that he has, why he then hasn't been loaned out somewhere to get him playing regularly. I imagine that even in the unfortunate event of an injury to Watkins, we'll reshuffle the pack such that Davis still won't get a game.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #2124 on: February 13, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »

I agree entirely then. I just don't understand why he was given such a long extension, but given the fact that he has, why he then hasn't been loaned out somewhere to get him playing regularly. I imagine that even in the unfortunate event of an injury to Watkins, we'll reshuffle the pack such that Davis still won't get a game.
yup.

Offline john2710

« Reply #2125 on: February 13, 2021, 03:34:45 PM »
Davies is being kept fit on the off chance that he's needed to cover Watkins.

If Davies plays he gets injured so it's best he's only used when needed.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2126 on: February 13, 2021, 04:43:27 PM »
Bert can play the Watkins role and a lot better than Davies could

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #2127 on: February 13, 2021, 05:16:42 PM »
KD is 23 (today as it happens) so is no longer a kid. At best he is currently a short-term solution as 'cover' but he really needs a loan opportunity and game-time to show his true worth. I suspect he will be replaced by a much better signing this Summer, or in the next year or so.

The jury is still out on Wes.

Offline algy

« Reply #2128 on: February 13, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »
KD is 23 (today as it happens) so is no longer a kid. At best he is currently a short-term solution as 'cover' but he really needs a loan opportunity and game-time to show his true worth. I suspect he will be replaced by a much better signing this Summer, or in the next year or so.

The jury is still out on Wes.
I'd see it that, right now, we're not likely to attract any great names to come and be our 3rd choice striker. Probably sticking with KD is a better use of money than, say, paying out another £10m plus wages for a Samatta type player.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2129 on: February 13, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »
Who is this Davies that people keep talking about?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal