collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 142638 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1920 on: January 03, 2020, 12:36:55 PM »
I am not changing my opinion of him as a footballer because of this horrendous injury. He is not good enough to play at this standard and not his fault that we had no other choices.
Its still a blow to not have him available, but the striker problem neededsolving before and now it is just more urgent.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #1921 on: January 03, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
I am not changing my opinion of him as a footballer because of this horrendous injury. He is not good enough to play at this standard and not his fault that we had no other choices.
Its still a blow to not have him available, but the striker problem neededsolving before and now it is just more urgent.

He quite patently is good enough as he showed on Saturday.

Offline darren woolley

« Reply #1922 on: January 03, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
It's a big shame this injury as happened to him I hope him a speedy recovery.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 06.02.2021
« Reply #1923 on: January 03, 2020, 12:49:10 PM »

I agree. A terrible situation on a human level but his level of importance to the team does seem to have risen inexplicably since his injury.

I thought we needed to bring in a couple of forwards beforehand and still do.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1924 on: January 03, 2020, 12:53:16 PM »
The tackle from Mee was both reckless and with excessive force. A key element being that they are not traveling in the same direction, i.e. in from the side. Hence the intended collision is evidently reckless as given the (excessive) force it will mean a problem for Wesley as it causes an unnatural flex of joints (hence more serious than a straight impact injury).

Thanks for the explanation. What further annoys me is nothing has been done since. The player wasn't even booked so the decision can be questioned. If the tackle had been made on Salah or Kane you know the media would be all up for a public lynching. What disappoints me more is our club seem to have just accepted it.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1925 on: January 03, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »

Really.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #1926 on: January 03, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »

If he's 'patently not good enough' then why is it 'still a blow to not have him'?

If he's that useless then surely you're happy he's out (though I'm not suggesting for a second you'd wish injury etc upon him).

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #1927 on: January 03, 2020, 01:19:56 PM »
We need to get out of this line of thinking with regards to the speed of writing off players. Wesley came from another country and another league, played a few games for us, struggled most of the time and was thus deemed shit forevermore. Look at some of the other players weve had for the past few seasons, deemed very quickly as shit and have then gone on to have great careers as soon as they left us.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #1928 on: January 03, 2020, 01:29:03 PM »
It's a good point phantom. I remember Bergkamp being mocked the first few months into his Arsenal career for a poor start . Wesley is no Bergkamp, but being in a new league, new country should be taken into account.  Arsenals record signing ( name escapes me ) is only just starting to show some form after his big money move, so it's a common thing.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1929 on: January 03, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »
I think it's fair enough to form an opinion after 20 or so games.  He's not been much good so far. He might come good, who knows. We desperately needed a new  striker anyway. All the best for a full recovery though.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #1930 on: January 03, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »

If he's 'patently not good enough' then why is it 'still a blow to not have him'?

If he's that useless then surely you're happy he's out (though I'm not suggesting for a second you'd wish injury etc upon him).
I don't really think he's been good enough eiher, although was always hopeful it would click for him at some point.  But it's a big blow as we just don't have cover in that position so even if we get someone in we'll still be massively light up front.  It's perferctly possible not to rate Wesley very highly but still recognise the squad will be weaker without him.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #1931 on: January 03, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »

Really.
Yes

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #1932 on: January 03, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »
Right. Shit means 'not quite as good as I'd like but still useful'...

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #1933 on: January 03, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »
So after 6 goals in his first 21 games, some believe Wesley was "patently not good enough".

Genuine question - given (by the standards for strikers) a modest-ish fee for a player settling in a new country in a promoted team that had undergone a huge transformation - what would be an acceptable return?

Yes he looks ungainly at times and we can all have an opinion in terms of his wider contribution and 'fit' but based on goals in his first half a season in the PL, what would be an acceptable or decent return?

For me, double figures in his first season (what he would get based on season to date had he stayed fit) seems about par.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #1934 on: January 03, 2020, 01:57:17 PM »
Right. Shit means 'not quite as good as I'd like but still useful'...
Well, better than nothing with a possible upside of maybe coming good once he gets some competition and a bit of a break.  It's not that hard a concept is it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal