collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
September 26, 2020, 01:15:18 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1052 | Comments: 24

[url=https://ibb.co/VpNq...
September 23, 2020, 08:37:01 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 315 | Comments: 1

Players in England first offic...
September 20, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 699 | Comments: 5

The commentators in the nation...
September 19, 2020, 06:29:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 656 | Comments: 4

The big news since last season...
September 02, 2020, 10:10:15 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1086 | Comments: 14

After the deflating experience...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 162613 times)

Offline postal

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1575 on: December 11, 2019, 11:22:08 AM »
Confidence in Wesley doesn't come into it and nor does the price tag. The simple fact is that Grabban isn't good enough for the premier league, whatever you think of Wesley doesn't change that, signing someone who's shit at this level will never be a good solution.

I'd like us to move Kodjia on (because Smith clearly doesn't rate him) and get a replacement, in the 'potentially available and knows the league' category the only viable option I see is Batshuayi so I'd be very happy with him either permanently or on loan (preferably with a fee agreed for the summer). If we don't go for him then I certainly wouldn't look at the likes of Grabban or Mitrovic.

Then thats an option  :D
If you are going to correct my misguided ideas ( yeh, get in line  ;)), then at least say a better idea, and yes Batshuayi might be a good loan solution

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:22:13 PM by postal »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2021
« Reply #1576 on: December 11, 2019, 11:31:08 AM »
There's no way that Grabban is the answer and we definitely shouldn't be wasting money on him.  But if you asked me right now who I'd prefer to be lining up for us on Saturday Wesley or Grabban, then I would much, much prefer Grabban.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1577 on: December 11, 2019, 11:33:07 AM »
Confidence in Wesley doesn't come into it and nor does the price tag. The simple fact is that Grabban isn't good enough for the premier league, whatever you think of Wesley doesn't change that, signing someone who's shit at this level will never be a good solution.

I'd like us to move Kodjia on (because Smith clearly doesn't rate him) and get a replacement, in the 'potentially available and knows the league' category the only viable option I see is Batshuayi so I'd be very happy with him either permanently or on loan (preferably with a fee agreed for the summer). If we don't go for him then I certainly wouldn't look at the likes of Grabban or Mitrovic.

Then thats an option  :D
If you are going to correct my misguided ideas ( yeh, get in line  ;)), then at least say a better idea, and yes he might be a good loan solution

The problem is without knowing the budget it's hard to know what feasible options we have and then of course there's the difficulty of working out how players fit in. I liked the idea of Berardi when he was linked in the summer, can play up front or out wide and is a good finisher, but he won't be cheap.

Aside from that I like the look of Malen at PSV and Osimhen at Lyon but I've seen little more than highlights and both are still very young.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1578 on: December 11, 2019, 11:35:02 AM »
We could do worse than arranging a quick loan fee for Grabban and then going after a permanent signing up front too.

If we fail in the latter then, as chrisw says, Grabban is at least a better option than Wesley. If we get both, then we have a proper complement of strikers to choose from, and the added competition might even push Wesley to show us that he's not completely awful.

Probably none of us appreciates the complexity of trying to do business in the transfer market - particularly in January - but you'd have to hope that Smith and Suso have Plans A - Z worked out at this point. It would be unconscionable to go into January without that kind of flexibility.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1579 on: December 11, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
If we try and complete the season with the striking options we have now we will struggle to stay up.
In the mean time Smith needs to try something other than throwing this guy to the lions every week.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1580 on: December 11, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »
All of you really need to talk to people who've watched Grabban play in the premier league and stop reminiscing over the player who did a decent job for us for a few months in the championship. He isn't good enough, it's really that simple. replacing a player you don't like with someone who isn't good enough isn't worth doing.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1581 on: December 11, 2019, 11:51:04 AM »
All of you really need to talk to people who've watched Grabban play in the premier league and stop reminiscing over the player who did a decent job for us for a few months in the championship. He isn't good enough, it's really that simple. replacing a player you don't like with someone who isn't good enough isn't worth doing.
You would think that they would look at a different type of player Grabban and Wes are pretty similar.

Offline Footy-Vill

• Jack Grealish is the very best!
  • GM : 06.09.2021
« Reply #1582 on: December 11, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
I dont hate Wesley. Personally I actually dont feel like hes lazy or has a bad attitude. I think hes a limited footballer, been thrown to the wolves, now devoid of confidence. Its really poor that hes been put in that position.

Last season, earlier this year, in Belgian  he took the ball off assigned penalty taker against  Oostende as he became so frustrated in not scoring. He dispatched the penalty though
Wes has never ever managed more than 10 league goals in a top-flight Belgian season.
So we need to note that's not his ideal strength - scoring goals.
Now if can get the midfielders around him and Wesley continuing to hold and control balls up to him then just maybe it all becomes far more effective!

Wesley has been on an upward curve and is a proven winner in winning teams . And a success everywhere he's been .
Is this a level too far ?
So far it seems so.
We can but hope

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #1583 on: December 11, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »
I don't see Welsey as a write-off. He needs time to adapt. We don't have time, so an alternative option (not replacement) is a necessity.
Bringing another player in from a European league is high-risk unless they are either a seasoned international or / and have previous in the Premier League; because we need instant returns in goals and assists. Therefore costly.
I've no idea who fits the bill.

Additionally, though, the team has to bear responsibility for where we are:
- too many cheap goals conceded (puts pressure on the strikers)
- distribution from the back too ponderous (wasted runs into channels; predictable passing)
- Heaton's distribution poor (converts 100% possession into 50% chance of retention)
- slicker passing and better movement in MF / attack

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1584 on: December 11, 2019, 06:21:27 PM »
Slovakian League winner
Slovakian Cup winner 
Belgian League title winner  x2
Belgian Super Cup winner x2
Voted Young Footballer of the Year  in Belgium

Can't write him off totally when he has contributed and been part of winning teams .

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1585 on: December 11, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »
Bobby Ewing getting out of the shower.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 21.08.2021
« Reply #1586 on: December 11, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »
Slovakian League winner
Slovakian Cup winner 

Can't write him off totally when he has contributed and been part of winning teams .

Hang on. I am confused.

You've been telling us he's utter shite and we need to replace him with Jozy Altidore for the last two months.

Online GarTomas

« Reply #1587 on: December 11, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »
Slovakian League winner
Slovakian Cup winner 

Hang on. I am confused.

You've been telling us he's utter shite and we need to replace him with Jozy Altidore for the last two months.

Beat me to it.

So hes a winner we need to stick with??

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1588 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
No it's indicates he's not good enough at premier league level thus far and has not shown anything other than glimpses.
Has never been a regular scorer in his career but has honours in Europe which indicates he's not a rubbish footballer .
Quite clear really .

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1589 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »
Slovakian League winner
Slovakian Cup winner 

Hang on. I am confused.

You're going to hurt yourself trying to work it out

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal