collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* *  Out Soon  * *  

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2020/21 by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:22:42 AM]

Sheffield United v Aston Villa - 03.03.21 6pm. Pre-Match Thread. by manic-road
[Today at 08:15:58 AM]

Other clubs' managers by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:46:03 AM]

The real Villa village (Ghana Lions) by Hillbilly
[Today at 12:33:32 AM]

Paul Lambert (R) by Des Little
[March 01, 2021, 11:20:56 PM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Risso
[March 01, 2021, 11:10:55 PM]

Reserves and Academy 2020-21 by pooligan
[March 01, 2021, 10:50:49 PM]

Dirty Whites 0 - 1 Mighty Villa by Risso
[March 01, 2021, 10:45:09 PM]

February 19, 2021, 02:28:51 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1262 | Comments: 16

September 13th, 1986...
February 17, 2021, 12:18:32 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 457 | Comments: 2

Thereís certainly a number of ...
February 09, 2021, 10:15:27 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 861 | Comments: 3

This empty wish was a thread o...
February 03, 2021, 02:11:06 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1372 | Comments: 17

Nineteen games gone and we're ...
February 02, 2021, 06:53:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 479 | Comments: 0

In normal times, either at Vil...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 192617 times)

Offline russon

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1185 on: November 26, 2019, 02:56:32 PM »
Modern day Cascarino

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 21.08.2021
« Reply #1186 on: November 26, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
Today is his 23rd birthday, I think he's doing ok but has areas he needs to improve on. Whether he's good enough to is the question, but loads of players take time to settle when they move countries. Even Jack couldn't hold down a regular starting spot in the second division when he was 22.

Actually, I think there are two points to consider.

One - whether he is doing well enough right now, which I don't think he is. As per above, though, he might well improve given time.

Two - the fact that we should not be relying on him if there is a chance he'll need a fair while to settle.

Unfortunately, we are relying on him - of our two other options, one is clearly not good enough at this level, and one is even more unproven than Wesley.

The fact we are so reliant on him increases the pressure on him and also makes us, as fans, hold him to higher standards as him delivering, and fast, is so important given the lack of other options.

You could argue also that we have seen nothing like the best of Luiz, either, for that matter. But we're not reliant on him delivering week in, week out, we have other, credible options.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1187 on: November 26, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »
Just give him a chance, like we did the French guys who we signed a few seasons back! LOL (who most on here said they were shit, and who have all proved us wrong!), even the Italian goal keeper seems to be doing okay??

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 10.10.2021
« Reply #1188 on: November 26, 2019, 05:06:16 PM »
Just give him a chance, like we did the French guys who we signed a few seasons back! LOL (who most on here said they were shit, and who have all proved us wrong!), even the Italian goal keeper seems to be doing okay??

No - that is something else. The experts here aren't wrong. Always the players fault.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #1189 on: November 26, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »
One of his problems is that we haven't really got to grips with how much transfer fees exploded in the three years we were away. In 2016 £24 million would get you the finished article; now it's the going rate for potential.

I've said the same. Our record transfer is the going rate for average or just above average talent, unless you can unearth that gem which is really hard to do. Whatever we paid I bet doesn't get into the top 30-40 transfers since we went down. There have been some astronomical fees paid for players who been very average indeed in that time. I fully expect our transfer record to be smashed a couple of times at least if we stay up.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1190 on: November 26, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
One goal in three games is a fairly good strike rate. Thirteen goals a season.
Trencin 6 goals in 18 games
Club Brugge 32 goals in 107 games
Villa 4 goals in 12 games.

And i think he will improve as the season goes on.

Offline john e

• GM : 20.02.2022
« Reply #1191 on: November 26, 2019, 05:48:17 PM »
Everyone has opinions on players that's what the forums for

anyone slagging off Wesley or writing him off already is a bit of a twat in my view
That doesn't mean if you think he's been poor lately and his touch seems to have deserted him you are in that camp

all strikers are confidence players and thats not high at the moment in imo

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1192 on: November 26, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »

Unfortunately, we are relying on him - of our two other options, one is clearly not good enough at this level, and one is even more unproven than Wesley.

The fact we are so reliant on him increases the pressure on him and also makes us, as fans, hold him to higher standards as him delivering, and fast, is so important given the lack of other options.

Are we that reliant on him? Possibly, as you mention, in regards to selection as we clearly donít have the depth to the squad in this position in comparison to other areas. Maybe Iím being generous, but Iíd assume that the club looked at doing something about this in the summer and couldnít for whatever reason, so hopefully they can rectify this in January.

But, in terms of output, I would say that we are a more rounded team compared to last year and look less likely to be reliant on one player to score the majority of our goals.

We are a third of a way into the season and only six teams have scored more than us. Whilst Wesley is clearly far from the finished article, I donít think that this would be the case if he was barely contributing to the team, as some seem to suggest.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1193 on: November 26, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »

anyone slagging off Wesley or writing him off already is a bit of a twat in my view
That doesn't mean if you think he's been poor lately and his touch seems to have deserted him you are in that camp

Youíre allowed an opinion, but you are also a twat.

He hasnít had a decent touch all season, in my view.
How much time does he need? We need every point and he has no real competition. In Jan a striker is a must.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #1194 on: November 26, 2019, 06:21:24 PM »

Youíre allowed an opinion, but you are also a twat.

He hasnít had a decent touch all season, in my view.
How much time does he need? We need every point and he has no real competition. In Jan a striker is a must.

He hasnít had a decent touch all season? Come on.

Offline themossman

• GM : 22.02.2021
« Reply #1195 on: November 26, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »
But he hasnít been entirely helped by the way weíve been set up as smith has tried to find a winning combination in midfield.

In our worst performances heís been completely wasted by the wide players playing too far away from him and sending in crosses that heís not the slightest bit interested in. He must be one of the worst, most reluctant headers of a ball Iíve seen.

I think his real value is sitting a bit deeper with players buzzing around him. His main attributes are strength, close control under pressure plus he has decent passing over short distances. I donít think itís at all true to say nothing sticks to him. Apart from a few games where everything was off I think that is his main strength.

Edit - post match thread was getting a Wesleyey and I didnít realise it was going off in here.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1196 on: November 26, 2019, 06:51:51 PM »
Ran all night, just canít finish a gilt edged chance for shit.
apart from the two identical chances he scored against Arsenal and Norwich..we seem so quick to write him off.. 4 in 14 ain't great, but it's a whole lot better than none in 14 for the £40m striker in the opposition tonight. He will get better we have sod all else to replace him with and he working his bollocks off.. he deserves a bit of slack
This.
His general play has been questionable, he doesnít win a lot in the air, doesnít hold play up enough and at times looks disinterested, maybe heís not happy with his own performances, not to mention his uncanny ability to hit the deck under the faintest of challenges, which to be fair isnít as often as it was.  Seems like slack has been cut appropriately thus far and I really do hope he succeeds, why would anyone want him not to is beyond me.

Edit, that read way too harsh initially.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:03:24 PM by Jon Crofts »

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #1197 on: November 26, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
I continue to make the point that he does not pick up the flight of the ball so he is never in the right position to head it.
His finishing is poor. He seldom makes runs away from defenders and does not show enough.
As said above his close control and hold up when played to feet is ok and from these  situations he joins up play.
I donít think this is enough But he is pretty much all we have.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1198 on: November 26, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
Like the first time you mentioned it CL, I agree with your observation about his judgement of the flight of the ball.  Central defenders always have the edge on him when he jumps at an angle to correct his positional disadvantage.  It is a common enough fault with front men.  The most usual technique developed by non dominant aerial strikers is to stand immediately in front of the defender on the line of the flight of the ball.  Gabby was a typical example.  He was not tall and even in his prime had no great leap in his skill set.  What he could do however is get the top of his head into contact with the ball in the air.  It prevented the central defender picking out a headed pass.  It was a spoiler tactic but at least neutralized the aerial dominance of the opposition.  Wesley could manage one on one in the air if he mixed it a bit.  Make himself harder to dominate.  I hope he comes good.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 21.08.2021
« Reply #1199 on: November 26, 2019, 07:56:25 PM »

Are we that reliant on him? Possibly, as you mention, in regards to selection as we clearly donít have the depth to the squad in this position in comparison to other areas. Maybe Iím being generous, but Iíd assume that the club looked at doing something about this in the summer and couldnít for whatever reason, so hopefully they can rectify this in January.

I'm sure they tried in the summer too but it doesn't change the fact that until we buy a striker in January (if we do), yes, we are reliant on him as the two other options are shit in one case and hugely unproven in the other.

Pretty sure we wanted Maupay.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal