collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* On Sale NOW

Recent Topics

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 09:42:52 PM]

This one's a keeper by pooligan
[Today at 09:42:27 PM]

Then what happened by West Derby Villan
[Today at 09:41:40 PM]

John McGinn - signed by West Derby Villan
[Today at 09:35:22 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ad@m
[Today at 09:12:31 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Bent Neilsens Screamer
[Today at 09:01:03 PM]

Other Games - 2020/21 by olaftab
[Today at 08:48:56 PM]

Realistic Expectations by richtheholtender
[Today at 08:44:43 PM]

Today at 06:09:00 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 142 | Comments: 3

Only a club with a massive sen...
March 05, 2021, 03:49:11 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 584 | Comments: 8

Any Wolverhampton supporter ob...
February 19, 2021, 02:28:51 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1406 | Comments: 17

September 13th, 1986...
February 17, 2021, 12:18:32 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 593 | Comments: 5

There’s certainly a number of ...
February 09, 2021, 10:15:27 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 896 | Comments: 3

This empty wish was a thread o...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 194693 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1170 on: November 26, 2019, 11:46:18 AM »
Although he's not the same type of player, i'm likening it to Juan Pablo's first half season. You could see little signs in his game that he had ability and you could see he gave a shit (I think Wesley does despite what some have commented), but it just wasn't quite happening. He never looked out of his depth and i don't think Wes does either, but like how JPA clearly needed time, i think Wesley does as well. I'm not saying for sure that Wesley will become the fairly successful player JPA was with us, but i think he's got the makings of it. Some have commented that he doesn't do this well or that well. I've seen him do everything that you would expect of a good striker from time to time, just not consistently. His miss last night was a bummer, i think if he's stuck that away most would have agreed that he had a decent game.
Some fucking cretin on the match thread reckons he's the worst he's seen for 40 years. How about McCormack, Hogan, Gestede for starters just from the last 4 years. Attention seeking drivel.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1171 on: November 26, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
One of his problems is that we haven't really got to grips with how much transfer fees exploded in the three years we were away. In 2016 £24 million would get you the finished article; now it's the going rate for potential.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1172 on: November 26, 2019, 11:50:41 AM »
Why does it have to be a case of extremes? He wasn't shit or great tonight, he was alright. Huffed and puffed, held the ball up well once or twice, got in the right position once or twice but didn't finish well enough. He was alright.

This. Let's also remember Joleinton, Haller at West Ham, Kean at Everton and the lesser spotted Che Adams at So'ton are all struggling adapting to the Premier League. We do need an option though and I would be looking at Brentford's Ollie Watkins, as he can play both through the middle and further wide and is doing really well this year.

Wouldn't he have the same issue though? I'm not dismissing him and I think he's the right type of player to go for but I think he'd struggle as much as the people you've mentioned so might not be the right choice for January.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1173 on: November 26, 2019, 12:10:49 PM »
I think we actually should scrap the young players only policy for this one signing, get a goalscoring centre forward in that has plenty of experience so is more of a safe bet to give us that extra bit in attack to keep us up. Someone that Wes could learn from as well would be ideal. I also think we need another wide attacker, someone that can really stretch to opposition, not so much a problem if that's another young player.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1174 on: November 26, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »
It could be worse we could have re-signed Benteke - £120k per week and how many goals for Palace? - Wesley has scored more than him this season, lets give the guy a chance!

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1175 on: November 26, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »
One of his problems is that we haven't really got to grips with how much transfer fees exploded in the three years we were away. In 2016 £24 million would get you the finished article; now it's the going rate for potential.

This is important. And in a similar vein, the idea some people have of a ‘twenty goal a season’ striker. It is a mark that only the very top strikers/clubs get to these days - I think only three/four players have managed it per season for the last few years.

If Wesley finishes with 10-12 goals, which he is on target for, then it would be a good return.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1176 on: November 26, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
Last season only Salah, Mane, Aubemeyang and Aguero hit 20 league goals, with Vardy, Sterling, Kane and Hazard the only other ones scoring 15-19.

Offline Ads

• GM : 02.04.2021
« Reply #1177 on: November 26, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »
How much would the cheapest cost?

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #1178 on: November 26, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
I've got to admit he's pretty crap and we are just making little excuses here and there for him and highlighting small bits of decent play. A center forward needs to do a lot more, he just doesn't look dangerous, defenders aren't and won't be scared of him. I'm not sure what you'd say his qualities are and that isn't good for a £20m+ player.

Thata how I see it mate. Was very average in my opinion. Better than joelinton but thag doesn't mean he was very good.

Near enough all the balls in th box Wesley isn't anywhere near them. I also think he is atrocious in the air.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1179 on: November 26, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
We knew before we signed him he was no good in the air. It's not his fault we don't play to his strengths. I assume we're trying to improve that part of his game but it won't happen overnight.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #1180 on: November 26, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
We knew before we signed him he was no good in the air. It's not his fault we don't play to his strengths. I assume we're trying to improve that part of his game but it won't happen overnight.

What exactly are his strengths that we should be playing to?

Offline Flin5tone

« Reply #1181 on: November 26, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
Let's go and bring Benteke back!

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #1182 on: November 26, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »

We did ? That's news to me mate !

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1183 on: November 26, 2019, 02:36:32 PM »
Today is his 23rd birthday, I think he's doing ok but has areas he needs to improve on. Whether he's good enough to is the question, but loads of players take time to settle when they move countries. Even Jack couldn't hold down a regular starting spot in the second division when he was 22.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1184 on: November 26, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »

What exactly are his strengths that we should be playing to?

He's a really good 'focal point' for the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal