collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 128078 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1125 on: November 10, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
Donít agree that heís hopeless. He was just massively isolated, he shows some useful touches when there was anyone vaguely near him.

I would agree with this. It was noticeable how much better we kept the ball in the final third and more likely we looked to create chances in the second half when McGinn (and the wingers to an extent) was playing much closer to Wesley.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 22.02.2020
« Reply #1126 on: November 10, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
Needs to be the number 2. Doing the role Davis has been doing. We need a centre forward to lead the line, he's not there yet.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1127 on: November 10, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »
I'm struggling with this signing to be honest. Has Dean Smith ever played with a big centre forward before? I could be wrong but I don't recall one at Brentford. He had Hogan and Maupay who were smaller and moved into spaces for the through balls and angled passes. I don't even count Tammy as he's not the traditional CF I'm referring to. He's much more mobile.

Yet we have bought a big centre forward, playing him up all alone up front in a brand new league with the rest of the midfield and wide men too far away to help out. Add to that as a big man Wes doesn't really hold the ball up well, doesn't really have a trick or a turn of pace. Is big and looks strong but doesn't intimidate the defenders. Can't really jump for headers either. So either this was a miss as a signing or it's a miss in how we play to get the best out of him. When we have played close to him or got crosses in from the touchline he looks like he is somewhat instinctive. But in the 18 yd box outside of the goal vs Everton I don't recall a meaningful shot and he's done next to nothing outside of the box. I just don't get why we signed him if he's not the type of forward Dean Smith normally employs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 07:48:42 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline themossman

• GM : 14.02.2018
« Reply #1128 on: November 10, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
Missing out on Tammy and getting him instead will go down as one of the weirdest plan Bs weíve seen here. Both makes some sense, one instead of the other is bizarre.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1129 on: November 11, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »

Early in the game yesterday there was a break down the right and the ball was slung in early, Weswas in the Centre forward position, the Wolves goalkeeper caught the ball near the ground-on the penalty spot.
Wes had-run 10 yards away from where the ball landed.
I mentioned before he has a problem picking the flight of the ball, this was a startling demonstration.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #1130 on: November 11, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »
At the moment he it truly awful and the goals he has scored can't mask his poor over all play.

Maybe he'll come good, but right now he is just not good enough.  He will cost us dearly if he / we can't sort it out very quickly.  We could be in a very difficult position come mid to late January which realistically is the earliest we can hope for a replacement.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #1131 on: November 11, 2019, 06:09:49 PM »
At the moment he it truly awful and the goals he has scored can't mask his poor over all play.

Maybe he'll come good, but right now he is just not good enough.  He will cost us dearly if he / we can't sort it out very quickly.  We could be in a very difficult position come mid to late January which realistically is the earliest we can hope for a replacement.

Canít argue with that

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #1132 on: November 11, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »
The way Smith was gushing about Jimenez and what he brings to the team was I think a sly shout at some players  deficiency.
This was as much as the acknowledgement of Raul effort as it was the now clear frustration Smith has feeling with Wesley
It was only a matter of time.
The lack of desire he shows time and again prompted Smith to go on about a proper striker like Jimenez and how he makes runs and contribute to the team both in goals and desires
The contrast between these 2 is staggering.
Sooner window comes and can bring in a more mobile and effective striker the better.
I think Smith was fuming with him and a few others at half time .

I just hope suso let's Smith have more say in next signing.
I think 40mil + was felt excessive to spend on 2 championship players Webster and Maupay and we went overseas
I think Smith would have happily taken these 2 and Benrahama Brentford but the club wanted to look elsewhere
We continue to live in hope that Smith can work his magic on Wesley

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #1133 on: November 11, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »
Trouble is he's away on tour with Brazil and would be better served learning ropes at Villa . Don't think Smith is super happy as would have been chance for Wesley to have some special development training.
His call up is sheer nonsense and is a political and marketing move for exhibition match and having premier league 'stars '.

The Brazilian Rickie Lambert! I like it.
A couple of mill more due to Bruges I guess, now.
After today, more like the Brazilian Ricky Gervais.

File under Jo and Alfonso Alves as dud Brazilian signings from Premier league.
They made Brazil squads too
And those 2 had decent scoring records before they came !

Can't imagine Firmino and Jesus be thinking much of Wesley when he goes Saudi Arabia with them

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #1134 on: November 11, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
Iím very undecided on him, come on have a stormer today

I get it can be hard to look objectively as he plays for our great club but come on if you saw him for another premier league club I think comments on 'other games' would be far less supportive.
It's ok not to rate him but still support him with hope he does well . That's how I see it but I saw pretty early how poor he is.
I don't think you can say he's improving.
And as I say I'm sure if he was playing for wolves we be far less concerned about him than Jimenez

I can only think of Che Adams being any worse at this level from summer signings

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #1135 on: November 11, 2019, 06:46:13 PM »
I thought you weren't going to say another word on Wesley.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1136 on: November 11, 2019, 06:49:39 PM »
Give it a rest, 3 posts in a row to say you don't rate him, including saying you think Smith is frustrated with him (and specifically him) and your almost customary self-agrandising "I said it before anyone else" that you like to throw out whenever you say anything that vaguely resembles what happens.

Wesley missed a couple of chances where he should have done better but other than that he was on his own against a back 3 for most of the game and looked totally isolated. A few times in the 2nd half he came a bit deeper and looked much more effective when he wasn't being crowded out. I'm in no way saying he played well but it's particularly boring to see 3 posts in 20minutes to say "I told you he was shit" because he had a bad game.  No one comes out of the first half yesterday well, it's the worst we've played since Smith arrived, and rightly saw us get nothing from the game, but have some perspective.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1137 on: November 11, 2019, 08:02:45 PM »
I thought you weren't going to say another word on Wesley.

Come on itís only 3 posts. 8)

Online Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #1138 on: November 11, 2019, 08:11:35 PM »
He needs some help up front. It's as simple as that. Having players hogging each wing is not working.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1139 on: November 11, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
Missing out on Tammy and getting him instead will go down as one of the weirdest plan Bs weíve seen here. Both makes some sense, one instead of the other is bizarre.

We didn't miss out on Tammy, though.
Chelsea couldn't/wouldn't sell