collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Another Sunday afternoon  (Read 1134 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Another Sunday afternoon
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:47:55 PM »
Let's have a look at what we face on Sunday.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2021/10/29/another-sunday-afternoon/

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: Another Sunday afternoon
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 04:55:58 AM »
Good one Dave.
You forgot to mention jellied eels and that when Reg & Ron were around you could leave your front door open  :) (and the fact that they stole their current ground from the magnificent O's.).

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 07:05:50 AM »
Kit and ground stealers?

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 08:56:55 AM »
'Appy 'Arry on his Westhemm playing days.
I can't put the link cos it from the current bun. Lavvverrlee !

He explained: "You would get some underworld figures attaching themselves to the group but no one really bothered us.
"The Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel was my local almost every Saturday night and it was right at the time when it became famous for Ronnie Kray shooting George Cornell."
He added: "Obviously, a huge mystique has grown around the Kray brothers but they would never bother you.
"They were not like: 'Who are you looking at?' They didn't do that. The only aggravation was in their own world. They had no problem with the football players and it was a great time for us."
He added that despite the Krays' spree of murder, armed robbery, arson, protection rackets and assaults, the area was "very safe" for normal folks.
"Old ladies didn't get mugged, no one was walking around carrying knives, and we could enjoy ourselves without any fear," Harry wrote.
He added that because local pubs were owned by renowned hard men, it kept the regulars safe.
"I lived two minutes from the Blind Beggar, and it was owned by Patsy and Jimmy Quill, who I still get a card from every Christmas," he wrote.
"Jimmy was an ex boxer and it was one of a dozen pubs that we would go out to.
"They were nearly all owed by ex-boxers, who could handle themselves and look after their regulars and not want any aggravation."

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »
Sounds like a regular paradise.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 10:29:47 AM »
Ha! It was no Ratpan!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 11:17:09 AM »
Reminds me of over hearing an east end barmaid talking to her colleague, “ if eni one else gets stabbed in ere this week I’m fackin leavin”

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »
'Appy 'Arry on his Westhemm playing days.
I can't put the link cos it from the current bun. Lavvverrlee !

He explained: "You would get some underworld figures attaching themselves to the group but no one really bothered us.
"The Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel was my local almost every Saturday night and it was right at the time when it became famous for Ronnie Kray shooting George Cornell."
He added: "Obviously, a huge mystique has grown around the Kray brothers but they would never bother you.
"They were not like: 'Who are you looking at?' They didn't do that. The only aggravation was in their own world. They had no problem with the football players and it was a great time for us."
He added that despite the Krays' spree of murder, armed robbery, arson, protection rackets and assaults, the area was "very safe" for normal folks.
"Old ladies didn't get mugged, no one was walking around carrying knives, and we could enjoy ourselves without any fear," Harry wrote.
He added that because local pubs were owned by renowned hard men, it kept the regulars safe.
"I lived two minutes from the Blind Beggar, and it was owned by Patsy and Jimmy Quill, who I still get a card from every Christmas," he wrote.
"Jimmy was an ex boxer and it was one of a dozen pubs that we would go out to.
"They were nearly all owed by ex-boxers, who could handle themselves and look after their regulars and not want any aggravation."

The Blind Beggar used to be my local. Every Sunday tours of overweight/muscled geezers from Essex came in to see the bullet mark where George Cornell was killed. Yep, never any trouble in those days.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal