collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
September 20, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 548 | Comments: 5

The commentators in the nation...
September 19, 2020, 06:29:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 461 | Comments: 3

The big news since last season...
September 02, 2020, 10:10:15 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 997 | Comments: 14

After the deflating experience...
August 31, 2020, 10:22:32 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 608 | Comments: 2

Late on Friday evening 3rd Sep...
August 28, 2020, 01:03:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1295 | Comments: 15

The non-selection of Jack Grea...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reading FC  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Reading FC
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2020, 12:14:06 AM »
The glory of Reading.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2020, 12:27:42 AM »
Reading are another club, like Southampton, Bournemouth, Norwich and a few others, who got a new or redeveloped ground, found themselves in the Premier League and suddenly twenty thousand locals realised that they were lifelong supporters

Stoke are probably best example in recent times. I went to a few games in their promotion season and they have 9k at some games with hardly anyone in the touchline stand where the dugouts are. Go up and suddenly get 25k crowds.

With Norwich and Southampton when they go down they still get 20k + crowds.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2020, 09:25:51 AM »
Reading are another club, like Southampton, Bournemouth, Norwich and a few others, who got a new or redeveloped ground, found themselves in the Premier League and suddenly twenty thousand locals realised that they were lifelong supporters

+Brighton

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2020, 09:42:14 AM »
I thought the Palace/Brighton rivalry started when Venables was in charge of Palace and Mullery was in charge of Brighton and they were promoted together from division three and then were promoted together from division two. They then both battled to stay in the top flight successfully for a couple of seasons making it several consecutive years of rivalry. I think Palace were historically known as the Eagles and their chant was 'Eagles' so around that time Brighton decided to chant 'Seagulls' in response even though that had previously never really been their chant.

Yes it started in the late 70s era of Mullery and Venables when the teams vied for promotions together. I think a lot of it boils down to needing someone to hate, and from Brighton’s perspective, there are no obviously local rivals (Crawley are a non entity).

As referenced above Brighton changed their nickname to Seagulls off the back of a wind up chant against Palace’s Eagles, they used to be called the Dolphins.

I was in a local pub a few years ago and the landlord was a former player, Gerry Ryan, who played for Brighton in their glory year(s), cup final etc. He had his career finished by a bad tackle at Palace in the mid 80s. Apparently this lead to significant violence in the stands and after the match as you can imagine. Sadly he had a stroke about 10 years ago and sold up.

Living down here, needless to say, if there’s one match I want to win it’s the Brighton ones.  Grealish’s equaliser last January, which I was directly behind in the home stand, was a moment of ecstasy, believe me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal