collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:08:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 08:07:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:07:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 08:06:45 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 08:06:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 08:06:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 08:05:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 9419 times)

Offline Hinckley Dave

Re: Acorns
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
I just find it all really sad when you hear of any charity having to cut back or close. This places are vital and pay a massive part in people's lives. I'm sure if governments said we're going to raise income tax by a tiny fraction but all this money is strictly to help finance charities so they can then concentrate on helping people and not have to worry about funds, I'm sure everyone would go for it. Or maybe they could just stop wasting taxpayers money on unnecessary shit. Perhaps I'm too simplistic.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 07:05:40 PM »
I just find it all really sad when you hear of any charity having to cut back or close. This places are vital and pay a massive part in people's lives. I'm sure if governments said we're going to raise income tax by a tiny fraction but all this money is strictly to help finance charities so they can then concentrate on helping people and not have to worry about funds, I'm sure everyone would go for it. Or maybe they could just stop wasting taxpayers money on unnecessary shit. Perhaps I'm too simplistic.
In fairness, the Government do make a massive contribution via tax relief/Giftaid on charitable donations.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
I do like this bloke

Purslow: “Our relationship with Acorns has been re-established. They will be our Official Charity Partner for the season and we will give them extensive support.”

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
Fantastic news.

Offline p_ad

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »
Brilliant news well done all concerned

Online exigo

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
Funnily enough the 2008-2010 Acorns sponsored shirt is the only one I still wear to matches, it was to remind me of better times with Laursen, Barry, Petrov, Young, Milner, Carew etc.

Plus I find the shirt is always going to be timeless having a unique charity on the front rather than 32 Red or some other flavour of the year betting company and the like.

Me too, for exactly the same reason. The lettering is only just starting to peel as well.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 06:46:00 AM »
That's brilliant news. Well done Villa. I'm liking this Purslow guy more and more.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 06:55:44 PM »

Most hospices receive a significant proportion of their income direct from the government/NHS.

Regrettably the idea that people would vote for any tax increase regardless of where the money would be spent is a fallacy.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »

Most hospices receive a significant proportion of their income direct from the government/NHS.

Regrettably the idea that people would vote for any tax increase regardless of where the money would be spent is a fallacy.
Because Governments always keep thier promises regarding Tax. :o

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 08:00:52 PM »
No.

Because the government funds the health care system which in turn contracts with hospices to provide certain services in the community.

Have a look at their accounts if you doubt me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
http://www.change.org/p/acorns-childrens-hospice-keep-acorns-children-s-hospice-in-walsall-open

I have just been told by someone from Acorns that ten million quid is needed to keep it going for the next three years.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
In fairness, the Government do make a massive contribution via tax relief/Giftaid on charitable donations.

Maybe I'm being naive here too, but on what fucking planet should dying people (kids, in this case) have to rely on charity to make their final days as comfortable and dignified as possible? 

Shame on the fucking lot of us for not insisting that this should be a priority of any government we vote for. "If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people"   

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »

Maybe I'm being naive here too, but on what fucking planet should dying people (kids, in this case) have to rely on charity to make their final days as comfortable and dignified as possible? 

Shame on the fucking lot of us for not insisting that this should be a priority of any government we vote for. "If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people"   

100% this

But as we know it aint gonna change any time soon

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »

I agree Chico. And when you look at what is going on in the US right now at the horrendous conditions Mexican babies (yes babies) and toddlers and other young kids are being detained in and dying then you wonder what the fuck needs to happen to change the way government looks at life in general. Anyway I know this isn't the place for it.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »

Nobody would deny your sentiment, but the reality is far less bleak than you might realise.

There's a lot of work being done across Birmingham, Worcestershire and the Black County to help people die where they want to and to avoid being bounced into hospital.  There's also a lot of effort being put into supporting the care system that supports the dying and their families.

Most people would prefer to die at home or maybe in a local hospice and therefore care delivered by local organisations (GP, hospices, Macmillan teams, district nurses) which may or may not be (partly) charity funded makes a lot of sense as they can respond to local needs rather than being sucked into the bigger NHS machine which does deliver excellent palliative care but often in a busy hospital environment.

If you feel strongly about supporting this then donate some of your money or even better, your time , so you can see what goes on,  to your local hospice or macmillan?   You'll see more benefit than paying a penny or two on income tax - and you'll see results now rather than wait years for a change in government policy.

Birmingham Hospices
St. Mary's
Acorns

Black County
Compton
Mary Stevens

Worcestershire
St Richards

Lichfield
St Giles

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal