collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa 1 Albion 0 April 1981  (Read 6504 times)

Offline villan from luton

Re: Villa 1 Albion 0 April 1981
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »
Wow.  Great find.  Without that goal I very much doubt we'd have won the league.  Funnily enough, until seeing this footage my recollection was that Withe was left with more time and space than that to execute a lob, but that clip shows him racing on to the back pass and a finish much more instinctive than I remembered it.

I sort of understand what you are saying but remember we finished 4 points clear of Ipswich under the old 2 points for a win system. If you believed Balloonhead Brazil you would think we scraped it on goal difference and that it was morally their title anyway by virtue of their 1-0 win at ours on the run in.

Ipswich won 2-1 at Villa Park. The title was won and lost on the Easter weekend when we beat Forest at Villa Park on the Saturday and drew at Stoke on the Monday. They lost at home to Arsenal on the Saturday and lost at Norwich on the Monday. They then crucially lost away at Boro on the last day of the scheduled season and also lost their game in hand at home to Southampton, which by then was a dead rubber as we had already had our open top bus parade and civic reception by the time that game was played.
Didn’t they also lose the day we beat Leicester away 4-2 (Aldaniti and Bob Champion won the National the same day) ? may have been at the Albion can’t remember for certain. And IIRC didn’t we win more games than any team in any division that season.

I think you are right in saying Ipswich lost at Albion that day. Des Bremner scored for us at Leicester that day and I can't recall him scoring any other goals that season.

You are both right there. Bosko was the man at highbury though lol, RIP

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal