collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

VAR by Drummond
[Today at 10:57:38 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:47:24 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Re: VAR by Drummond
[Today at 10:57:38 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Drummond
[Today at 10:55:33 AM]

Re: VAR by OCD
[Today at 10:54:05 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:53:28 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 10:52:11 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by frank black
[Today at 10:50:59 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs West Bromwich Albion (Play-off Semi 1st leg): Pre-match Thread  (Read 42756 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
They were decent enough to finish just above us and our goals for / against is remarkably similar.  I think it'll be a close one.  1-0 to us.  Tammy. 

It's hardly a shock, with their squad they should've been comfortable top 2 which is the reason Darren Moore was sacked.

Offline sid1964

As long as we do not lose the home leg, I can see us winning at their place.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
For us to win the tie we need to toughen up and learn quickly how to play dirty/sneaky. Two of the teams in the play offs have had players banned for simulation and both have cheated to secure points against us. A strong ref will help, but if not, we need to take care of it ourselves.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
I wish I was as relaxed about this game as most people on here seem to be!

Offline garyellis

With our best 11 and playing our football we can beat any of the opposition in the play offs.
We have to trust in Dean Smith and the team if they play to heir potential we will have too much for the others.
But I am far from relaxed 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Only real decisions for me are Hause or Tayor at LB and Green or Adomah at RW.  I would be tempted to go for the former over the latter in both cases with the rest of the team picking itself.

From the Albion callers I have heard on WM in the past couple of weeks, it sounds like they have been playing 3-5-2, which I think could give us opportunities to get at them.

Green?  He's hopeless. Adomah hasn't been brilliant, but he's a much better option than Green, and I fully expect Albert to start both games, and the final if we get there.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
They were decent enough to finish just above us and our goals for / against is remarkably similar.  I think it'll be a close one.  1-0 to us.  Tammy. 

It's hardly a shock, with their squad they should've been comfortable top 2 which is the reason Darren Moore was sacked.
So should we, which is why Steve Bruce was sacked.

Offline TaxDodger

I'm extremely nervous. We're probably better than them on paper but we could easily get beat here. Their strike force is very, very decent. They'll score at Villa Park. If we can just get some form of win on Saturday I'll be confident we'll go through, since they'll have to go for it at their place and I think we'll be able to pick them off on the break.

I think we'll win both games 2-1, but I imagine I'll be as nervous on Saturday as I have been for any Villa game ever. Tammy's fitness is a concern also.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
I can't see Smith swapping Taylor out for Hause. For me, selection questions are which of Tuanzebe and Hause partners Mings, and Green, Adomah and Kodjia are fighting for the one shirt. Other than that, team picks itself.

Out of Green, Adomah or Kodjia it must be Kodjia.

Not a chance for me, Kodjia arguably cost us the win when he came on v West Brom out wide. He isn't an option for me out wide at all. AA to start for me, Green hasn't impressed sufficiently despite being given multiple chances to nail down a place.

Hause over Taylor for me too, they are a physical side and his extra strength would be useful. 0-0 wouldn't be a bad result, these are no mugs but if we dominate midfield, as we should, then we should go through over 2 legs.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
This could be a game of fine margins and I think we'll have to be at our best to beat them. Incredible to be talking about this game considering I'd written off the playoffs midway through this season. Whatever happens, Villa and Smith have been excellent to get here. Let's finish the job boys.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
1st leg.. Villa 0 Albion 0
2nd leg.. Albion 1 Villa 0.... with 5 mins to go. McGinn equalises on 90 minutes, Jack gets the winner deep into stoppage time.

12 days later we are in different divisions.
Revenge for 1959.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
It seems the biggest choice is between Hourihane and Whelan.
Is there a chance we could play both with Jack and SJM?
Then play Tammy upfront with either el Ghazi or Adomah our wide and allowing any of the midfield to bomb on support, with the added security of Whelan in a holding role.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:07:06 AM by andyh »

Offline mr underhill

doesn't sound workable to me - i think Kodjia needs to in in wide with El Ghazi

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
If we were to go 2 upfront (I don't think we will), it would be Davis I'd start with Tammy.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021

So should we, which is why Steve Bruce was sacked.

Not with what we started the season really. We hardly had any CBs so Jedinak at the back it was, Tammy didn't start playing for us until middle of September and Jack wasn't really in form until October after getting over the failed Spurs move.

Our squad has been very good since start of February, good depth in all positions and real quality all over the pitch so little different imo to WBA who kept many of their players after relegation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal