collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909873 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #2040 on: June 19, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
I'd happily get Tuanzebe back on loan if that's an option. Realistically, we probably can't address every single area that needs improving this transfer window with permanent deals.

Even if we do, it might take a while for someone to settle.

Tuanzebe would be able to hit the ground running as he already knows the club.

It's not like we even lose anything by having a player unavailable against Man U because we are always pathetic against them anyway.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2041 on: June 19, 2019, 07:28:53 PM »
We need at least one new player a week until the window shuts.  Quiet day today except for Marvellous!

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2042 on: June 19, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
What about Wanyama for the DM position?  I get the impression that he is available although Levy will probably ask for stupid money.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #2043 on: June 19, 2019, 07:41:56 PM »
What about Wanyama for the DM position?  I get the impression that he is available although Levy will probably ask for stupid money.

He’s crap, can’t trap a bag of cement. We can do better than that and for a lot cheaper

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2044 on: June 19, 2019, 08:29:17 PM »
I'd take Wanyama actually. Was a good player at Southampton and hasn't been too bad at Spurs although obviously not champions league quality. Only 27 so fits into our age profile aswell.

I agree we need a DM with a bit of presence and height. Just signing a small Ryan Woods type figure and our whole midfield would be skilfull but pretty small.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2045 on: June 19, 2019, 10:24:13 PM »
I'd take Wanyama actually. Was a good player at Southampton and hasn't been too bad at Spurs although obviously not champions league quality. Only 27 so fits into our age profile aswell.

I agree we need a DM with a bit of presence and height. Just signing a small Ryan Woods type figure and our whole midfield would be skilfull but pretty small.

Wanyama's legs are gone, has had loads on injuries. Surprised we haven't been linked to Mooy yet.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2046 on: June 19, 2019, 10:28:25 PM »
I’d be happy to sign whoever Neil Cutler thinks is best personally.  Like the impact Heaton had getting back in at Burnley & Butland was better than how Stoke performed all season.

Cutler was in situ when we signed Kalinic, both he and Smith must have given that signing the green light.

Heaton is solid but not much more than that. I thought we would be after Johnstone this summer.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #2047 on: June 19, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »
Unless there is a clause to buy we’re not taking any more loans to help other teams out.

I am hoping that the club’s stance here is a nice sound bite rather than policy.  I like message it sends but...

...if we don’t take the player then someone else will, so there’s no gain there.  It could be a loss if a rival takes the player and improves as a consequence.

Secondly, taking promising players on loan is a great way of getting into their psyche/soul.  Take Mings for example (and Tammy), do you think they’d be publicly angling for a move (or rejecting Wolves) if they hadn’t been here on loan originally.

Exactly. Often leads to a permanent if it works for all parties. Loans are fine as long as they're of the required quality.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2048 on: June 19, 2019, 11:27:43 PM »
We have to be selfish and do what's right for us. Never mind worrying about the development of others clubs  players. If we need them, just do it. Anything it takes to make sure we establish ourselves in this division.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #2049 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:27 PM »
Exactly.  If it's to our benefit then fine.  We loan our players out too.  There's potential benefit for both parties.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2050 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:49 PM »
I get what they were trying to say about the loan system, but without El Ghazi, Mings and Axel we wouldn't be in the Premier League now, so used correctly it very much has its uses.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2051 on: June 19, 2019, 11:53:53 PM »
The loan market is vital to Championship clubs who either cannot afford permanents or cannot spend due to FFP.  However, now we're a PL side, we can afford permanents and we aren't restricted by way of FFP as we were last season.

That said, there is merit in the arguments that loans are mutually beneficial.

I see no harm in us loaning a player if it means funds are released to spend elsewhere.  Ultimately, if we can sign Mings plus A.N Other, there will be no need to sign Axel permanently. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2052 on: June 20, 2019, 12:17:17 AM »
We have to be selfish and do what's right for us. Never mind worrying about the development of others clubs  players. If we need them, just do it. Anything it takes to make sure we establish ourselves in this division.

Agree, but it has to be part of an overall plan.  We could sign a number of loan players just to stay up this season, but unless they were loan to buy, it would be highly likely they would be off next summer and we would be in the same position. 

One or two loans to supplement permanent signings in more pressing areas could be beneficial though.

Offline frank black

« Reply #2053 on: June 20, 2019, 07:02:32 AM »
I’d be happy to sign whoever Neil Cutler thinks is best personally.  Like the impact Heaton had getting back in at Burnley & Butland was better than how Stoke performed all season.

Cutler was in situ when we signed Kalinic, both he and Smith must have given that signing the green light.

Heaton is solid but not much more than that. I thought we would be after Johnstone this summer.

He’s not very popular down the Baggies. A good Championship keeper at the moment he doesn’t look good enough for a higher level. Although I could see him improve. We need the finished article and hope we get Butland

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2054 on: June 20, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
I don't rate Johnstone (never have) or Butland.
I'd be trying for either Heaton or Pope (not the Pope, but the goalkeeper Pope)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal