collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909803 times)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #540 on: May 30, 2019, 06:32:19 PM »
I can't wait for the fixture list release, oddly. I think that's when it'll feel real.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #541 on: May 30, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
Been thinking about Abraham and for me it boils down to the question if there was no prior connection would we risk him as our biggest signing of the summer to lead the line in our first season back up?

For me probably not. He was unplayable for the first half of last season but worryingly anonymous at crunch time, and that’s against championship opposition. I really like his attitude and I do rate him but for the money I think there are better options.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #542 on: May 30, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »
I hated the Championship with a passion. Thank fuck we are back in the PL.

Same here.  If nothing else I'm looking forward to the match threads being a bit more lively because the games will be easier to see.

How so?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #543 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »

Same here.  If nothing else I'm looking forward to the match threads being a bit more lively because the games will be easier to see.

How so?
For those who don't go to games, like me, streams for Premier League games are everywhere.  Not so much in the Championship.  Feels like I've only seen a handful of games over the last three years.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #544 on: May 30, 2019, 07:12:40 PM »
Been thinking about Abraham and for me it boils down to the question if there was no prior connection would we risk him as our biggest signing of the summer to lead the line in our first season back up?

For me probably not. He was unplayable for the first half of last season but worryingly anonymous at crunch time, and that’s against championship opposition. I really like his attitude and I do rate him but for the money I think there are better options.

I began to question signing Tammy permanently when he suggested at Wembley that God would be telling him what to do in regard to his next move. The last time that happened with Abraham it started to look bleak for his firstborn.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #545 on: May 30, 2019, 07:19:49 PM »

How so?
For those who don't go to games, like me, streams for Premier League games are everywhere.  Not so much in the Championship.  Feels like I've only seen a handful of games over the last three years.

Wes Edens made that comment after the win. Us in North America have it better than those in the UK because we get AVTV which is decent. Certainly better than some shit feed via Iraq. But now we will be shown every week in some capacity, live or great highlights on TV, online. There will be loads of coverage and options to see us play.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »
It will be weird watching Match of the Day for the first time in years...

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #547 on: May 30, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »
I would argue that players like Gueye or Veretout were acquired that way. The former who is now allegedly headed for PSG. That we had the most dysfunctional club in the world at the time derailed everything. I’m glad we are looking at targets that will fit the Dean Smith system irrespective of the level that they are at today. We need to look at established players as well as those with an eye to the future. Young and hungry was pathetic the last time we tried it. I just believe it might work under this management team and board.

'Young and hungry' as it was implemented the last time was totally wrong and will fail again if we try the same thing with this board.

Bringing in young players of that ilk is fine, but the problem we had was that we relied on them - we just hoped they all magically came good, which is not a strategy, it's a route to nowhere but the Championship.

We also need to bring in some proven quality. If we had done that (and being managed by a total cock end didn't help, either) then maybe Veretout et al would have flourished with us. All i remember of his time here was him getting slaughtered for looking out of his depth - of course he was, he was dropped into a new league alongside a load of team mates who were also out of their depth.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #548 on: May 30, 2019, 07:47:06 PM »
I would argue that players like Gueye or Veretout were acquired that way. The former who is now allegedly headed for PSG. That we had the most dysfunctional club in the world at the time derailed everything. I’m glad we are looking at targets that will fit the Dean Smith system irrespective of the level that they are at today. We need to look at established players as well as those with an eye to the future. Young and hungry was pathetic the last time we tried it. I just believe it might work under this management team and board.

'Young and hungry' as it was implemented the last time was totally wrong and will fail again if we try the same thing with this board.

Bringing in young players of that ilk is fine, but the problem we had was that we relied on them - we just hoped they all magically came good, which is not a strategy, it's a route to nowhere but the Championship.

We also need to bring in some proven quality. If we had done that (and being managed by a total cock end didn't help, either) then maybe Veretout et al would have flourished with us. All i remember of his time here was him getting slaughtered for looking out of his depth - of course he was, he was dropped into a new league alongside a load of team mates who were also out of their depth.

And a Manager who was as well. If you offered me Gueye and Veretout now I’d snap your hand off.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #549 on: May 30, 2019, 07:53:42 PM »
James Tavernier. It will be a big step up for him after Rangers.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #550 on: May 30, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
It will be weird watching Match of the Day for the first time in years...
Same here. I have not watched it since our Rrrrrrr.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #551 on: May 30, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »
Gueye was the only one that really looked a good player all the way through in fairness, and has done every since. Amavi got injured so early it was impossible to judge. The biggest issue though was that we tried to replace Benteke with Gestede and had a centre half pair of Richards and Lescott.

I actually think young and hungry is the way to go now, but mixed with the odd quality more experienced player and a genuine plan of how to play on the pitch. Example - Mings, Hause and Cahill would be a brilliant trio to get in at centre half, one young, one coming into his prime and one experienced that has still got plenty left.

In midfield we have McGinn and Grealish at 23-24 which is an ideal age. Adding a couple more players of a similar age but more combative might give us enough legs in there to cope. Our running stats the season we went down were pathetically bad, I would hope that the Villa team that go out there next season out run and out work most sides we play. Truly good sides work harder than the opposition even when they are better, it gives them an edge and Smith gets that clearly with the way we set up.

Maupay up top I have no issue with but a more experienced physical presence in the squad too would be very useful, when you look at what Murray has done for Brighton over the last 2 seasons it shows how vital a genuine goal scorer can be.

We could also do with a bit of flair in the wide areas, do the unexpected. The Brazilian guy West Ham bought last season was brilliant for them but cost £35 million. It is not a cheap place to be sadly. We also need to have an eye on building a side that can not only compete next season, but come back up easily if we go down.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #552 on: May 30, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
That AV Agent bloke on Twitter who doesn’t put out much and in fairness when he does gets most things right has stated Adomah is out. Which isn’t shocking. He is slowish now, getting older and slower and would be well out of his depth in the PL. So if true I’ll thank him for being a good servant to the club, played his part in us going up (that goal at Sheff Wed esp.) I’m also glad the club isn’t sitting around on these issues. I believe Dean Smith he’d be putting in a shift for the next two weeks before he goes away on holiday.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #553 on: May 30, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
Ps - we did young and hungry last time because Lerner has given up and we made do with what we had. And like others have suggested those players playing in a better environment would have done much better. But while we need to not only buy well with an eye to the future it cannot be our exclusive transfer strategy. We have to buy proven quality and we will likely smash our transfer record several times this season to that end.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #554 on: May 30, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »
Wes Edens made that comment after the win. Us in North America have it better than those in the UK because we get AVTV which is decent. Certainly better than some shit feed via Iraq. But now we will be shown every week in some capacity, live or great highlights on TV, online. There will be loads of coverage and options to see us play.

and cheaper too. It was £13 for AVTV and $5 for ESPN+ every month...NBC Premier League Pass was $49.99 for every EPL game not shown on NBCSN et al.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal