collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Which ex Aston Villa players would you have back?  (Read 10235 times)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Which ex Aston Villa players would you have back?
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »
Purely on a football basis and because they could do a job.
Milner and Young.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »
Supertom your post number is a palindrome!

Offline KRS

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
I think we'll have a younger side next season so if we get promoted then the likes of Milner and Young would add some much needed experience and quality to help ensure we stay in the Premier League.

I would also consider Delph (despite everything that has been said about it), but I think Benteke would be too much of a risk given how poor he's been for both Liverpool and Palace.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »
Delph would be great in a Dean Smith midfield but the fellas playing champions league football and is always in the Man City squad when fit so I doubt we would be in a position to attract him or afford him

as for not accepting him back, I remember the dogs abuse that John Terry used to get on here
it all changed when he started putting in good performance after good performance in a Villa shirt
that's all it would take for most

Benteke on loan just to see if he can still do it in a claret and blue shirt first

I hope Smith goes for a younger average age squad in the future so whilst not being totally against the likes of Young, Albrighton, Milner etc I wouldn't want it to be are main direction

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
Orange Lee, Barry, Andy Townsend, Dekker Mountfield, Chrissy Price, Southgate, McGrath, Kent Nielsen, Tony Daley, Sid, Bozzie, Platt, McInally, Merson.

They’d get us promoted!

There’s a few others, but I’d save them for the Premier League!

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »
I would think that Milner, Delph and Benteke would all be good additions when we go up. Not sure Milner or Delph would be available or likely to move, but Benteke would be a realistic target were we to get promoted. All three were excellent for Villa. I think Young is probably too old now, but might be worth a years contract if Man Utd got rid.

Some of the French players that were garbage for us have done well elsewhere, but they already failed once at Villa so probably best avoided.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »
If we were to add one now for the remainder of the season then I think it would be a left back or a wide player as we still don't get too much from those areas.  Albrighton would be more than useful in this side in the Championship, as would Snodgrass.

Going further back, his lack of pace could be an issue in the modern game, but I think Steve Staunton would be really suited to the modern attacking full-back role.   
Oh if we're going to go back in time :)

Spink
Gidman McGrath Laursen Cummings*
Cowans Petrov Mortimer Daley
Gray Little

*Yeah, yeah I know he's brown bread but according to my old man he was the greatest fullback ever  :)

Only 1 possible team from back in time
Rimmer
Swain Evans McNaught Williams
Bremner Mortimer Cowans
Shaw Withe Morley

May not be best 11 individuals but by far the best TEAM we have ever had
They would give the current Liverpool and Man City a run for their money?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
Isaiah Osbourne obviously

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:23 PM »
Gary Cahill would be realistic option if we go up I reckon.

Barely played for Chelsea this year but he was still good for them two years ago when they won the league and can play in either a back 4 or back 5 no problem. His experience alongside Mings would be welcome.

Might feel he has unfinished business here, think his contract is up aswell for Chelsea this summer.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2019, 11:34:37 PM »

Barely played for Chelsea this year but he was still good for them two years ago when they won the league and can play in either a back 4 or back 5 no problem. His experience alongside Mings would be welcome.

Might feel he has unfinished business here, think his contract is up aswell for Chelsea this summer.

Yeah sort of agree, but I hope that Chester can fully recover and play alongside Mings, if we get promoted

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »

Yeah sort of agree, but I hope that Chester can fully recover and play alongside Mings, if we get promoted

Have to see if Chessy can get back to his old self as he's been awful this season so would be nowhere near good enough for prem based on this season.

Let's just hope it was the injury really impacting on him and Mings is the sort of dominant CB he usually does well alongside when you think his best form for us has been alongside Baker and Terry.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2019, 11:46:37 PM »

Have to see if Chessy can get back to his old self as he's been awful this season so would be nowhere near good enough for prem based on this season.

Let's just hope it was the injury really impacting on him and Mings is the sort of dominant CB he usually does well alongside when you think his best form for us has been alongside Baker and Terry.

Agree mate, I've just got a soft spot for Chester because of his previous seasons consistent performances.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2019, 02:20:40 AM »
Dion Dublin. Watch the video of him talking about his time at Villa on youtube, he has a tear in his eye half way through. He loved his time at Villa more than anything and wishes he achieved more here. I just love the guy as a man, probably my favourite Villa player ever but more for his heart, personality and kindness. The kind of guy you could have a pasty with and if you still felt hungry he wouldn't just share the rest of his pasty with you, he would buy you 2 more pasties.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:24:04 AM by Tuscans »

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2019, 07:30:44 AM »

Agree mate, I've just got a soft spot for Chester because of his previous seasons consistent performances.

Little credit given to Cheater this season although he shows what Bruce did to this club.

Chester got injured playing for wales on the 17th November last year, after that he played 12 games because we had no centre half to speak of. We conceded 23 goals, he was put on the injury list on the 2nd February, when Smith signed Mings.

It was obvious to most fans watching Chester was off the pace for that time.

If ever you needed another example of the terrible state Bruce left this club, it’s there, a class centre back having to play through a potentially career ending injury for two and a half months for no other reason than a management team had not planned ahead.

I hope Chester returns, but if he doesn’t, well, I know who I’d blame.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2019, 08:14:49 AM »
Spot on Simboy, we owe Chester a lot of gratitude for his commitment.
Can you imagine how bad it would have been if he had not played?
I doubt we would be in the play offs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal